Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 99 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 sibbi:  11 mins ago
 Karlos:  41 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 matthey:  1 hr 25 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 2 mins ago
 hardwaretech:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 CosmosUnivers:  2 hrs 57 mins ago
 Rob:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 pixie:  3 hrs 18 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  3 hrs 31 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  Thor and OS4
Register To Post

PosterThread
Valiant 
Thor and OS4
Posted on 15-Jul-2004 19:02:59
#1 ]

Has anyone else tried using Thor in OS4? The major problem I've come across is when trying to use ConnectTCP. "Do All" causes a visit from the GrimReaper. And if you can't connect to your mail and news servers it all becomes rather pointless. Does anyone know if Thor will be updated for AmigaOS4? And if not is there any other combination mail/news reader that'll work under OS4? Or what's the current best stand-alone newsreader?

--
#Val#
--
--

Amiga 1000; Amiga 2000; Amiga 3000T; CD-TV; CD32;
AmigaOne-XE 800Mhz G4;Sam400ep 666Mhz;
AmigaOne X-1000 1.8Ghz PA6T-1682M

Profile     Report this post  
Vidar 
Re: Thor and OS4
Posted on 15-Jul-2004 19:18:31
#2 ]

@Valiant

I haven't tried THOR on OS4, but I'm testing MicroDot II. So far I didn't find any problems. You'll find it on: www.vapor.com

Development of THOR has been dead for years. I remember the authors asking for someone to take over the responsibility, but don't know if it was taken over by anyone.

NOT a self-appointed internet police..

Valiant 
Posted on 15-Jul-2004 19:27:40
#3 ]

@Vidar

Thanks for the info, Vidar. Guess I'll give MicroDotII a try then. :)

--
#Val#
--
--

DWolfman 
Posted on 15-Jul-2004 20:52:46
#4 ]

@Valiant

This does not sound good. Thor is the only mailer I will use any more, and I've tried a lot of them.

Did you post anything about this on the Thor maillist yet? I know the developers are still working on it, as they keep mentioning another update that they have been working on (for the last several years).

Just thought of something.

Did you do this on a new install or did you copy over your old install from a backup?

If you haven't done a new install, maybe there was something that went wrong with the copy/restore?

I plan on taking my backup made from my WinUAE setup (will make that one fresh before loading up OS4 on the A1) and initially trying to restore it. If I can't get that to work, then I'll try doing a new fresh install. If it still won't work on a new install, I guess I'll have to keep using the emulated setup for a while until the Thor guys (or someone) can figure out what is happening.

Chris_Y 
Posted on 15-Jul-2004 22:54:12
#5 ]
Elite Member

@Vidar

Yep, MD2 works perfectly. The only minor niggle is that when you open a group message window, random entries are highlighted and occasionally bold (that's bold, but not new). The highlighting is easily taken care of with a click of the mouse, but the bold entries... well, as they aren't coloured or marked as new they are pretty easy to ignore.

I guess it is accessing memory that it shouldn't be, but as it doesn't affect usage and doesn't cause it to crash, it isn't really a problem.

Chris

Valiant 
Posted on 19-Jul-2004 9:37:15
#6 ]

@DWolfman

Quote:

DWolfman wrote:
@Valiant

This does not sound good. Thor is the only mailer I will use any more, and I've tried a lot of them.

Yeah, I decided to give MD II a try, but Thor is still by far the better reader. For one thing there is no easy way in MD II to add a name to the twit filter like Thor is able to do.

Quote:

Did you post anything about this on the Thor maillist yet? I know the developers are still working on it, as they keep mentioning another update that they have been working on (for the last several years).

I'm not on the mailing list and when I went to the Thor home page to get on the list, it gave me a document not found error. I suppose I could try leaving a e-mail.

Quote:

Just thought of something.

Did you do this on a new install or did you copy over your old install from a backup?

If you haven't done a new install, maybe there was something that went wrong with the copy/restore?

I plan on taking my backup made from my WinUAE setup (will make that one fresh before loading up OS4 on the A1) and initially trying to restore it. If I can't get that to work, then I'll try doing a new fresh install. If it still won't work on a new install, I guess I'll have to keep using the emulated setup for a while until the Thor guys (or someone) can figure out what is happening.

I just FTP'd the file over from my A3KT, so they were copied with no need to be restored. ;^) I don't think anything got corrupted. I been experimenting by playing around with the stack sizes but doesn't seem to solve the problem. So it looks like we may be stuck with MD II or using YAM and some other newsreader for a while.
Anyway when you try setting up Thor on your system let us know how it goes.

--
#Val#
--
--

DWolfman 
Posted on 19-Jul-2004 13:59:16
#7 ]

@Valiant

Quote:
Valiant wrote:
Yeah, I decided to give MD II a try, but Thor is still by far the better reader. For one thing there is no easy way in MD II to add a name to the twit filter like Thor is able to do.

Heh! There is that!

Quote:
I'm not on the mailing list and when I went to the Thor home page to get on the list, it gave me a document not found error. I suppose I could try leaving a e-mail.

Hmm, haven't been to it in a while, but the web page is usually there.

Just tried it, worked fine just now.

Quote:
I just FTP'd the file over from my A3KT, so they were copied with no need to be restored. ;^) I don't think anything got corrupted. I been experimenting by playing around with the stack sizes but doesn't seem to solve the problem. So it looks like we may be stuck with MD II or using YAM and some other newsreader for a while.

Hmm, that may actually be part of the problem. I doubt the protection flags survived the FTP transfer.

I'd go back to the A3KT and pack up the whole directory using LHA or LZX, then FTP the archive and unpack it on the A1. That should preserve the protection flags.

I'm pretty sure there are several parts of Thor that can bomb out like that if the files aren't marked correctly.

Quote:

I'll be sure to, as I know there are probably a few others that would like to know as well.

BTW, you did get the assigns all set up correctly for it, right?

Valiant 
Posted on 19-Jul-2004 22:40:06
#8 ]

@DWolfman

Quote:

DWolfman wrote:
@Valiant

Quote:

Hmm, haven't been to it in a while, but the web page is usually there.

Just tried it, worked fine just now.

Sorry I didn't make myself clear. I was able to go to the Thor home page, but the mailing list page is missing.

Quote:
Quote:

Hmm, that may actually be part of the problem. I doubt the protection flags survived the FTP transfer.

I'd go back to the A3KT and pack up the whole directory using LHA or LZX, then FTP the archive and unpack it on the A1. That should preserve the protection flags.

I'm pretty sure there are several parts of Thor that can bomb out like that if the files aren't marked correctly.

Thanks, I'll give that a try.

Quote:
Quote:

I'll be sure to, as I know there are probably a few others that would like to know as well.

BTW, you did get the assigns all set up correctly for it, right?

You mean the ENV: settings? Yes, I finally got them set correctly. Confused me for quite a while though. :)

--
#Val#
--
--

hotrod 
Posted on 19-Jul-2004 23:23:19
#9 ]
Elite Member

@Valiant

What about NewsCoaster? It's been recently updated. I haven't used newsreaders much at all but I've tried a few and this one seems to be pretty nice. Why not give it a try, it's available for free at aminet.

When it comes to mail-cliends YAM and SimpleMail are the best. I use SimpleMail right now and it works great. I wouldn't mind more ReAction-programs though.

DWolfman 
Posted on 20-Jul-2004 9:35:15
#10 ]

@all

OK, go tmy CD today! Yay!

Anyway, I've already got Thor up and working. Though I had to do it in a roundabout way. :-/

First I tried just copying over my install (actually, restore from a backup with ABackup), but that showed me where some of the "hiddden" settings are in Thor that I had almost forgotten about.

Anyway, you will likely have to do a fresh install of Thor first, but be warned that this will likely replace some of the Reaction/ClassAct classes over in Sys:Classes with MUCH older versions! This happened to me and some stuff (like AmiDock) would not open up but did throw up a LOT of requesters about not being able to open certain minimum versions from that classes drawer.

Anyway, a simple fix for that is to put your OS4 Pre CD and copy everything from the drawer AmigaOS4_CD:System/Classes into Sys:Classes, and be sure to overwrite all of them and CLONE the protection bits. I used the following shell command to do it (haven't got a file manager set up yet, getting there):

copy AmigaOS4_CD:System/Classes/#? Sys:Classes all clone

Once I did that and rebooted, all was fine.

Then after I knew I had a working install, I took my backup and copied the files (including the CLONE option again) over the new install.

This should let you open up Thor and do some configuring. Most likely you will have to go through the Configuration screens and find every path reference in there, unless you made sure to install Thor to a path that is exactly the same as it was originally (I decided to change it for this new setup).

Now, you may also need to make sure of the settings inside the two files ENVARC:THOR/ThorPath and ENVARC:THOR/BBSDataPath. In going through this whole deal, at one time I got errors trying to start Thor that it couldn't find stuff related to those paths, even mentioning to check one of those variables by name. However, a new install of Thor should not need those changed, as it should have set them up for you to start with.

Anyway, it does work at least.

royleith 
Posted on 20-Jul-2004 12:05:04
#11 ]
Cult Member

@DWolfman

Quote:
Anyway, you will likely have to do a fresh install of Thor first, but be warned that this will likely replace some of the Reaction/ClassAct classes over in Sys:Classes with MUCH older versions! This happened to me and some stuff (like AmiDock) would not open up but did throw up a LOT of requesters about not being able to open certain minimum versions from that classes drawer.

This is the case with quite a few installs. The notable ones for me have been the Amitrix commercial release of AWeb and ImageFX 4.0. The copying of an existing install is often successful unless the screenmodes catch you out. With some software, even resetting the prefs to Workbench in the doner machine still results in problems. Lots of stuff can be beaten into submission so don't give up on anything and RECORD HOW YOU DID IT for the rest of us.

Regards
Roy Leith

DWolfman 
Posted on 20-Jul-2004 18:09:25
#12 ]

@royleith

Well, Thor at least wasn't too troublesome. It did pop up a warning about the screenmode and reset itself to workbench mode automatically. Changed the prefs and all was fine.

DWolfman 
Posted on 21-Jul-2004 15:00:40
#13 ]

@all

BTW, something I heartily recommend to make life easier with Thor when you have to move the install. Use an assign!

I have one single assign in my user-startup (been doing this for years) that makes an assign of Thor: to where Thor's main directory is. Within Thor's prefs (and everywhere else including the environment variables) I have all path references set to use the assign to start with and not the actual drive location for the directory. What gave me fits this time around is I forgot that the path requesters have a "nasty" habit of replacing an assign with the path when the chosen path is passed back to Thor. As such I had some problems that required me to go back through the prefs and redo all those. Once they were fixed, everything was back to working.

In the future though, I could easily change where my Thor install is at by moving the directory and modifying that one assign in user-startup.

Valiant 
Posted on 1-Aug-2004 6:03:52
#14 ]

@hotrod

Quote:

hotrod wrote:
@Valiant

What about NewsCoaster? It's been recently updated. I haven't used newsreaders much at all but I've tried a few and this one seems to be pretty nice. Why not give it a try, it's available for free at aminet.

When it comes to mail-cliends YAM and SimpleMail are the best. I use SimpleMail right now and it works great. I wouldn't mind more ReAction-programs though.

I hadn't tried NewsCoaster for a while, but I have tried NewRog. The demo seems nice, though limited, but it's pretty hard to get it configured to run. So per your suggestion, I tried NewsCoaster again under AOS4, but it crashed while trying to download the group list from my ISP's news server. I'll try it again and leave it alone
while it's downloading.

--
#Val#
--
--

Valiant 
Posted on 1-Aug-2004 6:19:58
#15 ]

@DWolfman

Quote:

DWolfman wrote:
@all

OK, go tmy CD today! Yay!

Anyway, I've already got Thor up and working. Though I had to do it in a roundabout way. :-/

I was also able to get Thor running, at least as far as connecting with and downloading from the mail/news servers, and I had to do it in a roundabout way also.
In my case instead of using AmFTP in OS4 again I used GFTP in DebianPPC and transfered my Thor directories to a partition shared by both systems. Then when I fired up OS4 again I only had to change where the ENVARC: settings were pointed to and Thor was up and going and GetTCP wasn't crashing anymore. So it was AmFTP that was messing up the protection bits somehow. Now the only problem is the kill/emphasize filter is complaining about a problem in its database when trying to add the downloaded messages.

--
#Val#
--
--

Paul 
Posted on 2-Aug-2004 0:43:30
#16 ]
Cult Member

@Valiant

Thor is running on mine now too. In my case, I took my backup which had been burned to CD on my 4000, and then ran a fresh install and 6a update over the existing files.

Before doing this I had already made a copy of the System:Classes drawer. After the install, I just pulled up the shell and renamed the Classes drawer Thor munged up, renamed the Copy_of_Classes back to Classes and all was fine with the world.

A few tweaks to the settings and paths, then the screen mode, and then setting up a "System" for my current ISP, and I'm getting mail. Haven't tried news yet. Filters are already set up. (had to change the path for the AREXX script)

As a bonus, I can now look back over a whole bunch of old messages from two other ISP's and go on a real nostalgia trip.

Paul

Valiant 
Posted on 10-Aug-2004 8:45:53
#17 ]

@All

As a final update to this thread I just thought I'd metion how I solved my problem with the kill/emphasize database. Basically, I just did a fresh install and copied everything over from my old data dir except for the kill.data and kill.tag files. Now everything runs perfectly and I just need to rebuild the kill database. The one funny thing I've noticed though is that if I try to run Thor on a FFS2 partition I get the crashes that I've mentioned in the origional posting. However, if I use an old FFS partition like the one I've setup to share between OS4 and LinuxPPC I never get any of those crashes at all. Really strange.

--
#Val#
--
--

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle