Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 43 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  58 mins ago
 Cammy:  1 hr ago
 gryfon:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 Hammer:  2 hrs 3 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 8 mins ago
 Beajar:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 Matt3k:  4 hrs 37 mins ago
 danwood:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 zipper:  6 hrs 27 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  6 hrs 59 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Question about Sodipodi via Amigcynix
Register To Post

PosterThread
jas_mc 
Question about Sodipodi via Amigcynix
Posted on 12-Apr-2011 22:36:10
#1 ]

Sorry guys, I've got another AOS4-related question

Could someone who has Sodipodi installed on their AOS4 machine please tell me if it has support for blurring objects?

I saw a video on Youtube of someone who was putting text under a bust of Tutankhamen. The end of the vid showed what looked like the same image on the web, except with blur. The image that was loaded in Sodipodi for the demo didn't have any blur, so I wondered whether that effect wasn't supported. Just asking 'cos I love my blur.

Just a thought, but what might be awesome is if someone with Sodipodi would be prepared to take a screenshot of an svg that I would supply, so I can see how it appears in the program on Amigcynix. Not a work of art - just an svg using some of the effects that I like so I can see how how Sodipodi handles them.

Profile     Report this post  
CygnusEd 
Re: Question about Sodipodi via Amigcynix
Posted on 13-Apr-2011 18:38:09
#2 ]

@jas_mc

Sodipodi has no effects like blur. Only simple things like gradients.

You can send me your example to my e-mail address in my profile.

BTW: How did you create this example?

jas_mc 
Posted on 13-Apr-2011 19:13:13
#3 ]

@CygnusEd

Inkscape

No blur isn't fatal as you can do some nice vector graphics without blur.

I've pasted a few random elements from works in progress and will e-mail it to you now. Many thanks!

jas_mc 
Posted on 13-Apr-2011 19:35:48
#4 ]

@CygnusEd

I sent you a file called dolphin.svg that contains three different elements. The dolphin includes blur and the file looks like this in Inkscape, which is the open source successor to Sodipodi:

CygnusEd 
Posted on 14-Apr-2011 11:41:25
#5 ]

@jas_mc

Here is my sodipodi snapshot. The missing blur function has a funny effect
Also the "UpWrite" text is wrong.

CygnusEd 
Posted on 14-Apr-2011 11:45:18
#6 ]

@jas_mc

here is another screenshot of the picture viewer "GPicView". The program uses "librsvg-2" for rendering:

jas_mc 
Posted on 14-Apr-2011 18:18:37
#7 ]

@CygnusEd

Cheers very much for doing that - the writing was my own stupid fault... I left it as a text object (rather than converting it to a path) and you don't have the font on your computer.

The square sky and sun on the dolphin is actually lack of support for "rounding" rather than blur (which as predicted was also missing), so good to know in advance that Sodipodi doesn't support that either. I won't be able to work in my normal way in Sodipodi, but then, I've got Inkscape on my Windows and Linux boxes, so I'll prob'ly look at what Sodipodi does well in its own right.

The second screenshot has the blur and rounding but doesn't seem to support transparency for objects that have a pattern fill (which is why the top graphic looks different).

Are there plans to port any other apps to Amicygnix? Or to fork the existing apps to tweak them and add a few new features? Just interested to hear, sadly I'm not a developer myself

Thanks again. I look forward to playing with Amicygnix when I get my OS4 box.

CygnusEd 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 16:16:16
#8 ]

@jas_mc

Quote:

Cheers very much for doing that - the writing was my own stupid fault... I left it as a text object (rather than converting it to a path) and you don't have the font on your computer.

The square sky and sun on the dolphin is actually lack of support for "rounding" rather than blur (which as predicted was also missing), so good to know in advance that Sodipodi doesn't support that either. I won't be able to work in my normal way in Sodipodi, but then, I've got Inkscape on my Windows and Linux boxes, so I'll prob'ly look at what Sodipodi does well in its own right.

The second screenshot has the blur and rounding but doesn't seem to support transparency for objects that have a pattern fill (which is why the top graphic looks different).

Oh yes, it couldn't be the fault of the missing blur.
Sodipodi is a very nice app, but Inkscape is much better. Unfortunately I see no chance to port it to AmiCygnix.

Quote:

Are there plans to port any other apps to Amicygnix? Or to fork the existing apps to tweak them and add a few new features? Just interested to hear, sadly I'm not a developer myself

Thanks again. I look forward to playing with Amicygnix when I get my OS4 box.

I have no plans for an other SVG editor. But I hope to release some new software soon:

* XSane (with a lot of fixed scanner drivers)
* Gimp 2.4.7 with support of python plug-ins and printing (and some bug fixes)
* Gnumeric 1.8.4 with support of python plug-ins (and some bug fixes)
* A special AmiCygnix python package with support of pyGTK and other libs.

And many other apps are waiting on my harddisk

Any plans for a new OS4 computer - maybe a X1000??

jas_mc 
Posted on 15-Apr-2011 23:43:26
#9 ]

@CygnusEd

I've had an offer accepted on a second hand Sam @ 733 MHz with 1 gig ram and the Radeon card.

My understanding is that Amicygnix will be slow but I'm very much looking forward to trying it out.

If I like the Sam I'll try to get hold of a faster machine later

Antique 
Posted on 16-Apr-2011 16:11:19
#10 ]
Cult Member

@CygnusEd

I'm using gimp for fixing my scanned images of blu ray covers. It's working like a charm. I'm just scaling the images.
I'm also helping a friend scanning pictures of his hobby,old trucks. I sometimes crop,rotate and scale. Not crashed yet. We are both very happy,since before i used photogenics which crashed all the #### time. We are both impressed. And it works quite fast enough. The time consuming is loading and saving pictures. Might be cos of the images are on usb stick.

I'd love to be able to use the amiga for scanning aswell. Might never hapen as i have a usb canon canoscan lide 200. Is this xsane any good? Does it support any usb scanners which are not from the stone age?

CygnusEd 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 12:23:11
#11 ]

@Antique

Quote:

I'm using gimp for fixing my scanned images of blu ray covers. It's working like a charm. I'm just scaling the images.
I'm also helping a friend scanning pictures of his hobby,old trucks. I sometimes crop,rotate and scale. Not crashed yet. We are both very happy,since before i used photogenics which crashed all the #### time. We are both impressed. And it works quite fast enough. The time consuming is loading and saving pictures. Might be cos of the images are on usb stick.

Loading and saving is indeed very slow. Especially PNG is slow, even if you use the internal loader. But the internal JPG and BMP loader/saver should have a good performance.
Good to hear, that it is so stable for you. I'm proud to say, that most AmiCygnix apps do have a very good stability.

Quote:

I'd love to be able to use the amiga for scanning aswell. Might never hapen as i have a usb canon canoscan lide 200. Is this xsane any good? Does it support any usb scanners which are not from the stone age?

My current version of XSane is a very nice app, which is based on the sane backend 1.0.21. I was able to fix many of the backends, so now I can use my Canon Lide 30.

Bad news: The Canon Lide 200 is not supported. Good news: The newer version 1.0.22 supports Lide 200 and 210 . I think I will switch to the newer version, but it will delay the release of XSane significantly.
Interrested in testing the new version, when it's done?

Antique 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 12:38:21
#12 ]
Cult Member

@CygnusEd

Yes, sure i can help testing. Just drop me a note when you have something to test.

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle