Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
13 crawler(s) on-line.
 129 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 A1200:  58 mins ago
 michalsc:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 39 mins ago
 OlafS25:  2 hrs 1 min ago
 clint:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 amigang:  3 hrs 16 mins ago
 Tpod:  3 hrs 56 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 Birbo:  4 hrs 16 mins ago
 Hammer:  4 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  C=USA FAQ #1
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
damocles 
C=USA FAQ #1
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 6:27:24
#1 ]

As promised, Barry has amswered the 15 questions on commodore-amiga.org.

Profile     Report this post  
pavlor 
Re: C=USA FAQ #1
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 7:40:39
#2 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Thanks.

CodeSmith 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 8:13:00
#3 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Hm... As much as I'd like CUSA to succeed (more variety is better IMHO, and I don't see CUSA cannibalizing Hyperion's sales since they're going after a different demographic), I am not entirely convinced by the reasoning behind answer #2. They say that if they can convince one tenth of one percent of people to buy their Linux boxes they'll be selling a million units, but how did they arrive at that fraction? sounds more like wishful thinking that a well reasoned business plan. I'd have expected their answer to have been more along the lines of "we ran an analysis of forum posts on slashdot, osnews and five other popular techy sites, and approximately twelve percent of posters have commented positively or very positively on Commodore and/or Amiga related topics. Extrapolating to the general computing public, we believe we could realistically sell between x and y computers to early adopters."

Kronos 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 8:16:33
#4 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Well this prooves that asking one Barry yields just as much results as asking another.....

itix 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 9:13:10
#5 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Answers to questions #2, #4, #5, #7, #9, #11 and #14 are missing.

Nimrod 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 9:17:09
#6 ]

@damocles

FAQ Most Frequent Answer " Errr... Dunno. Ask Leo."

BillE 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 9:27:28
#7 ]

@damocles

Who cares ?

Raffaele 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 10:49:18
#8 ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@damocles

Hm... As much as I'd like CUSA to succeed (more variety is better IMHO, and I don't see CUSA cannibalizing Hyperion's sales since they're going after a different demographic), I am not entirely convinced by the reasoning behind answer #2. They say that if they can convince one tenth of one percent of people to buy their Linux boxes they'll be selling a million units, but how did they arrive at that fraction? sounds more like wishful thinking that a well reasoned business plan.

No, they just said that IF ONLY they could catch (wishfully) at least the 0,001% of the total market of Intel-CPU-based computers sold every year, then it will meaning that they could sell (potentially) even upto 1 million computers.

i.e. IMHO they said that every quantities of computers they will sell from 1 upto 1 million machines [extreme hypotetical target] then it will be a success (from their point of view)...

I wonder who will buy in 2011 underpowered Intel machines with onboard intel graphics, embedded into a fake C64 or Vic-20 case.

In these days it is already difficult to sell undepowered Amiga-PPC machines, just for an "Hobby Market"...

If only they had contacted the community and invested their money to let AmigaOS being developed for normal Intel machines (and I mean modern dual and quad core full of horsepower), then they could have had some chance of success...

...But sure I think they will had had no any success in selling fake retro-computing all-in-one machines re-branded as Commodore and put in a fake C64 case.

That sort of strange C-64 Intel computer machines could be purchased just only some bunch of crazy computer COLLECTORS (and I mean people who collect computer curiosities machines and computer rarities)...

Sure these kind of machines have no any appeal for hobbyists like us, who are faithful to the beauty of the AmigaOS as it is (an OS with elegance, total control by the user and low hardware consumes), and also we are not anymore interested in unuseful Intel hardware neither anymore interested in a logo on a case.

These people who tries NOSTALGIA rebranding commercial attempts have not understood that we Amigans purchase underpowered PPC machines, not because they are Amigas (or branded as Amigas), but just for the simple fact that these are the only machines capable to run the great AmigaOS.

Last edited by Raffaele on 12-Mar-2011 at 11:04 AM.
Last edited by Raffaele on 12-Mar-2011 at 11:01 AM.

digitex 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 15:54:19
#9 ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:

CodeSmith wrote:
@damocles

Hm... As much as I'd like CUSA to succeed (more variety is better IMHO, and I don't see CUSA cannibalizing Hyperion's sales since they're going after a different demographic), I am not entirely convinced by the reasoning behind answer #2. They say that if they can convince one tenth of one percent of people to buy their Linux boxes they'll be selling a million units, but how did they arrive at that fraction? sounds more like wishful thinking that a well reasoned business plan. I'd have expected their answer to have been more along the lines of "we ran an analysis of forum posts on slashdot, osnews and five other popular techy sites, and approximately twelve percent of posters have commented positively or very positively on Commodore and/or Amiga related topics. Extrapolating to the general computing public, we believe we could realistically sell between x and y computers to early adopters."

"Hyperion sales" ??? What sales?? They (and all the others) have had over a DECADE to do something. Just what have they done?
There is NO, repeat NO market potential for any viable business plan to succeed that is based on selling to the handful of extremely vocal protagonists frequenting the forums you mentioned. The reason every effort to reboot the Commodore and Amiga legacy failed is just because of this. The response to our efforts, and the hundreds of thousands of replies and comments left by registrants on our website, along with the many positive articles in the mainstream press, is the most important and meaningful analysis that we are basing our business plan upon.

digitex 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 16:01:31
#10 ]

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@damocles

Answers to questions #2, #4, #5, #7, #9, #11 and #14 are missing.

WHAT??? 15 questions asked, 11 answered, and the remaining 4 will be answered by Leo, as indicated. READ MUCH??

wawa 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 16:05:47
#11 ]
Elite Member

Quote:

As promised, Barry has amswered the 15 questions on commodore-amiga.org.

pardon me, but what does it mean to "amswer" a question? ;P

Last edited by wawa on 12-Mar-2011 at 04:06 PM.
Last edited by wawa on 12-Mar-2011 at 04:06 PM.

digitex 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 16:09:45
#12 ]

@Nimrod

Quote:

Nimrod wrote:
@damocles

FAQ Most Frequent Answer " Errr... Dunno. Ask Leo."

Exaggerate much?? 4 out of 15 questions were left for Leo to reply to. Is that the ratio you use to represent "MOST" ?? 'Most" usually refers to more than 50%; 4 out of 15= approx 26%. , which most would refer to as "few" or "some".

The only reason I bothered to even reply to this inane post was to show just how negative, slanted and false some of these posts are.

itix 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 16:11:00
#13 ]
Elite Member

@digitex

Quote:

WHAT??? 15 questions asked, 11 answered, and the remaining 4 will be answered by Leo, as indicated. READ MUCH??

They were not real answers. Just random words here and there.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 16:15:29
#14 ]
Elite Member

couldnt really bother to read too much of it, already a question of marketing expectations slammed down to a lotto comparison doesnt sound too clever.
anyway my opinion is, that if they stick to manufacturing of custom keyboards and case replicas adopted to house standard form factor boards they might succeed to certain extent, at least within communities as this. outside there i see little hope.

Last edited by wawa on 12-Mar-2011 at 04:17 PM.

Kicko 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 16:22:39
#15 ]
Elite Member

Only interesting thing was that they will not use the name workbench but commodore OS :)

wawa 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 16:43:53
#16 ]
Elite Member

@Kicko

whatever os, i think we all know that there was multiple attempts at marketing commodore branded x86 compatible pcs, and it has never been a success. for what do they hope this time??

TiredofLife 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 16:52:09
#17 ]

@wawa

I would say the big difference this time is that machines are being made that will look like the originals.

There will certainly be a market for that as retro stuff sells.
How big a market, I honestly couldn't even hazard a guess.

If the cost is markedly higher than simlar specced machines, this project may well suffer.

wawa 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 17:07:49
#18 ]
Elite Member

@TiredofLife

as in my above post, i agree that case remakes might become a (limited) succes within so called "retro communities". actually no need to supply internals let alone an os, while modding would seem to be the main aspect of such prodct. then again, the only case remake ive actually seen here being under development is c64. amiga cases have much less recognition value. i wonder if it pays to remake them. however we already being proposed completely new prefabricated cases without any aesthetic link to amiga heritage, except amiga name or boing ball engraved. doubling that doesnt sound sensible.

custom amiga keyboards we might appreciate though.

Last edited by wawa on 12-Mar-2011 at 05:09 PM.

TiredofLife 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 17:39:08
#19 ]

@wawa

That's actually not a bad idea, modded cases with no internals.
I would be interested in one of those.
I agree though, limited success is probably a very good way of putting it.

tommywright 
Posted on 12-Mar-2011 17:47:26
#20 ]

I think you guys might be shocked at how well these guys do.

Like a lot of people, I'm looking for the nostalgia of owning an Amiga (or really any Commodore product). These guys are trying to tap into that and I think it's a damn good idea. IMO, as long as their prices are reasonable, they will do fairly well.

I hate to say it here but I would totally buy a C64 or A500 clone running a cool, retro looking Linux distro. Again, as long as CUSA's prices are right.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle