Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
27 crawler(s) on-line.
 57 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigakit:  38 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 28 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 36 mins ago
 Matt3k:  6 hrs 1 min ago
 agami:  6 hrs 43 mins ago
 Lou:  8 hrs 12 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  8 hrs 34 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  9 hrs 4 mins ago
 kolla:  9 hrs 32 mins ago
 pixie:  10 hrs 16 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  New OS4 portal
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
IonMane 
Re: New OS4 portal
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 1:12:19
#21 ]
Cult Member

@pixie

On the contrary, I can stand diversity, it is the spice of life. It is these others that cannot stand diversity and actively harangue, insult, belittle, insult, cuss, curse and generally making those having an opinion which is different to thier own intolerable whilst sharing the same forums.

You cannot look at that thread and say that the users of those insults are not exactly what they are accusing members of the "amigans" website to be.

Its the definition of hypocracy, and that will also apply to you if you continue this type of hounding and making life unlpleasant for those with a different view to your own.

That is why I came to AW to begin with, to get away from all of that, because it had a pleasant atmosphere, and that kind of hounding was stepped on, and why I may be leaving it again. It does not good to exercise that "freedom" if people dont know the reasons why.

Profile     Report this post  
Tomas 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 1:25:22
#22 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR
Quote:
All is good, I understand why you want a website with just OS4 but where exactly are the 100s of posts about MorphOS? Maybe I'm blind, but I seriously can't see them and no-one seems to want to give me links to this vast number of posts I've missed.

I highly doubt there are many such threads.. But some certain people have a tendency to bring up MorphOS or similar when someone make a thread specifically about OS4. I kinda understand how people can get annoyed by that.

I have no problem with MOS or Pegasos threads as long as they are posted under the right forum section.

Last edited by Tomas on 06-Dec-2006 at 01:26 AM.

Samwel 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 1:34:39
#23 ]
Elite Member

@gary_c

You can have whatever opinion you like about the site and the starters of it..
But the truth is that in the 2-3 days I have visited it has had more REAL discussions
than I have seen on AW for long long time.
On AW it feels like you have to wade through alot of crap to get to the good stuff.
But all this might change once OS4 get hardware.

Alot of people owning OS4 or wanting to, that have stopped posting here, it seems
are posting over there again.

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

IonMane 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 1:37:58
#24 ]
Cult Member

@Tomas

You are of course, correct. It just feels that way because of what you have pointed out there, people bringing up morphos etc in unrelated threads, and they usually find a way to make a particulr thread related to them in some fashion.

That is just annoying, its the behaviour of these people that makes things uncomfortable and unpleasant.

I actually recently went back to A.org because I had heard things had settled there. My link there show just how wrong I was.

Last edited by IonMane on 06-Dec-2006 at 01:39 AM.

Samwel 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 1:39:43
#25 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Spot on. I also think that's the reason because there aren't many specific MOS
and/or AROS threads or news items.

Samwel 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 1:47:47
#26 ]
Elite Member

@IonMane

Many classic owners are still clinging to their old computers and can't (will not)
understand that Amiga will never again lead the computer evolution like it did
in the 80's. So they are pissed off at Amiga Inc or Hyperion for taking "too long"
or are unable to release a new "super" Amiga with a price of a cheap x86.
They are simply frustrated and bad behaviour on forums follows with that.

Akiko 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:04:43
#27 ]
Cult Member

The new site is very welcome news for all us OS4 supporters.
Finally somewhere to discuss OS4 without the usual disruptions and recriminations from certain individuals here.

@Tomas

Indeed I've lost count how many times specific OS4 threads here have been hijacked and turned into a flame fest. Hopefully this will now be a thing of the past.
Now roll on OS4

CD32/ FMV Module

Zardoz 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:06:02
#28 ]
Team Member

@Tomas

These people have been moderated as OT for as long as I have been a mod and at least now, those people cannot possibly blame staff for being too biased against the Blue. The recent major outburst didn't happen in those threads, it happened when the Efika was announced with MOS support, which was a news item of its own, and in those "where is AW.net heading" threads.

Last edited by AMiGR on 06-Dec-2006 at 02:08 AM.

Tomas 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:14:45
#29 ]
Elite Member

@AMiGR
I for one do not know who to blame, so i wont blame you guys. But i know i have seen this happen with threads and it has been annoying me a tad. I do not know if you guys missed it or if they were dealt with afterwards.

wegster 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:22:05
#30 ]
Elite Member

@IonMane

Quote:

IonMane wrote:
@Tomas

You are of course, correct. It just feels that way because of what you have pointed out there, people bringing up morphos etc in unrelated threads, and they usually find a way to make a particulr thread related to them in some fashion.

That is just annoying, its the behaviour of these people that makes things uncomfortable and unpleasant.

The problem there, at least in part, is in what may be 'uncomfortable or unpleasant' to some, is simply discussion, to others. Some cases are more blatantly trolling or baiting, and those we are trying to take a tougher stance on...however, in the end, in the REAL world, there are no 'moderators' to jump in when someone disagrees with you (or me), so there is a balance in there, somewhere, between allowing and encouraging discussion, versus Staff feeling like a babysitter for some thin skinned individuals in some cases.

Anyways, we do what we can. Staff's decisions will never appease everyone, and they aren't meant to. Nor will some other site's, either. For those of you who choose to visit the new site, enjoy it if that's what does it for you.

Zardoz 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:27:18
#31 ]
Team Member

@Tomas

Well, it happened pretty recently and got dealt with rather harshly. I'm aware that this wasn't the case for a while, due to the fact that at that time the moderators were quite overwhelmed. At some point, the only moderators actually active were Herewegoagain and the Bodies (of which one had already asked to resign). At another point in time, wegster was pretty much alone. It's pretty hard to do anything about OT posts in that situation. We are currently doing our best to keep that stuff out and suddenly all hell broke loose.

wegster 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:30:02
#32 ]
Elite Member

@Akiko
Quote:
The new site is very welcome news for all us OS4 supporters.

Umm, 'all us OS4 supporters'? Might want to be careful with your words there. Last I checked, I've spent close to $3000USD with respect to supporting OS4, plus an indeterminable amount of time. Am I then not an 'OS4 supporter'?

Quote:
Finally somewhere to discuss OS4 without the usual disruptions and recriminations from certain individuals here

Some trolling has gotten out of hand, and we're working on it. However, to 'lump sum' every thread in there as it seems you imply, is quite inaccurate. Go take a look through all the OS4 help threads, and see how many 'disruptions' there were.

(Not directed solely at Akiko)
There isn't any OS4 news, nor new users currently, so speculation wins out as the top topics. No surprise there. Anyways, enjoy the 'grass is greener syndrome,' while seeming to rewrite history as to how much MOS/Genesi news or threads are 'everywhere,' and every thread a flamefest, and hopefully you'll see the difference in time between 'times with news and users' versus 'no news and disgruntled/dwindling users.'

If you like the new site, great. But please stop painting such broad strokes of how 'everything is SO bad' here, when it seems to be getting more exaggerated by the minute in some cases.

Samwel 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:42:23
#33 ]
Elite Member

@wegster

No, its no "SO bad" here. I actually enjoy to read about other Amiga-clones sometimes.
But you must agree that the OT and crap has grown the past year especially.
Many reasons for this of course.. AMiGR points out some.. Not enough active
moderators. This seems to have become better the last couple of months though.

Hopefully new hardware will be released soon so many of the complain threads
can be forgotten.

IonMane 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:44:17
#34 ]
Cult Member

@wegster

Not talking about discussions here dude. Disagreements pretty much everyone can handle. Attacks on the person or thier opinion are another matter. Does "aparthied" ring a bell perhaps?

In the real world when people start slandering you have recourse: the police or perhaps the security of the establishment you are in when somebody starts going out of thier way to make life difficult for you.

Zardoz 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:47:31
#35 ]
Team Member

@IonMane

Quote:
In the real world when people start slandering you have recourse: the police or perhaps the security of the establishment you are in when somebody starts going out of thier way to make life difficult for you.

Insults and attacks are not tolerated and get moderated. Furthermore, the user is dealt with. So, I don't see how it's any different here. So, pretty much everyone so far tends to agree that with more moderators, things are getting better, so I don't see why THIS was the time to start all the doomsday talk, instead of when things were bad.

wegster 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 2:51:11
#36 ]
Elite Member

@IonMane and Samwel

Certainly, I agree the amount of OT and trolling/flaming has increased..I don't think any of us are arguing that isn't the case. And yes, in some cases, some threads have gotten way out of hand. Personal attacks are rarely/never the way to 'win an argument.' Regardless, we're working on it

Plaz 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 3:12:26
#37 ]

@CodeSmith

Quote:
I personally think that the new site is a complete waste of time

I try to put things like this in my own perspective. I think golf along with the time and money spent on it are a complete waste of time......

>USA stats
>Golfers spent $24.3 billion in 2002 on equipment and fees

I scratch my head and move on. Though I don't get it, millions love it and good luck to them.

I say as long as folks are happy and not hurting any thing, live and let live.

Plaz

Plaz 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 3:26:41
#38 ]

@wegster and AMiGR (I don't envy your tasks)

I think you guys have been doing a bang-up job recently. AMiGR just took on the mod job and I think for some the improvements didn't come soon enough. Keep up the efforts and I'm sure the majority will continue to frequent AW. (If they're not already banned)

Plaz

Last edited by Plaz on 06-Dec-2006 at 03:27 AM.

Akiko 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 3:28:41
#39 ]
Cult Member

@wegster

Yes I do appreciate you have put alot of hard work and effort into OS4 and even more recently the Developer Projects Forums here.

I'm just very concerned about the level of trolling here of recent weeks and what appears to be an orchestrated campaign from certain individuals. I know the moderators do there best to keep this behavior at a minimum but this is for me what detracts from the quality of this site. I hope things get better in the near future.

CD32/ FMV Module

Samwel 
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 3:37:50
#40 ]
Elite Member

@Akiko

Quote:

I'm just very concerned about the level of trolling here of recent weeks and what appears to be an orchestrated campaign from certain individuals.

I'm sorry but this is just silly. You mean there's a "trolls society" which plans
attacks on AW when the "time is right"?!?

IMO there's just a few people which can't stand that others have different opinions.
Also these people probably don't go out often because their people skills aren't
that great.

These people should follow this:
If you can't discuss politely why discuss at all? You won't get anywhere with an attitude.

Last edited by Samwel on 06-Dec-2006 at 03:39 AM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle