Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
12 crawler(s) on-line.
 39 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Rob:  13 mins ago
 OlafS25:  32 mins ago
 amigakit:  32 mins ago
 pixie:  54 mins ago
 lijk352099:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  3 hrs 38 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 46 mins ago
 Matt3k:  7 hrs 11 mins ago
 agami:  7 hrs 53 mins ago
 Lou:  9 hrs 23 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  AROS Software
      /  AROS x86 - monthly recap
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
AMIGASYSTEM 
Re: AROS x86 - monthly recap
Posted on 2-May-2024 16:58:06
#21 ]

@pixie

Unfortunately, online translations sometimes say the opposite of what you write in your own language !

I expressed my thought, my advice, I did not want to offend anyone, and therefore not to be subjected to a trial !

Regarding developers, they don't care about aesthetics, and I share that, because those who develop software must test it on a "Clean" reference Build without anything installed.

Different on the other hand who has to make News, because as said, today's user reads and looks quickly at Web pages, he lingers only when he has curiosity or sees something new or nice !

Profile     Report this post  
pixie 
Posted on 2-May-2024 18:20:01
#22 ]
Elite Member

@AMIGASYSTEM

What's the use of having a beautiful UI if when the user get to download it has nothing to do with what he saw elsewhere.

Clean, we're talking icons, windows themes, gadgets... There's really not that much to interfere with developers, you can get clean but with a consistent and nice interface, which is what I think you're aiming at, and it should be talked with developers, if they don't have the time, then if it is as important as you make it to be, perhaps someone should be responsible for it, AmigaOS 4 had Mason afaik...

Those are imo who you should ask something. You expressed your opinion, and others have gave you theirs, it's something normal I think, no one is putting no one in trial... I for once don't understand why AROS has so few traction on Amiga fan base, and am quite suspicious that if it isn't taking the world by storm that's not for lacking of good icon set as default or such, I think the problem has to be elsewhere...

jPV 
Posted on 3-May-2024 10:02:12
#23 ]
Cult Member

@AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:

AMIGASYSTEM wrote:

On AROS you can have the most beautiful Icons, AROS supports any kind of Icon, MOS for example uses PNG images but only one face, it does not support DualPNG.

That's not true. MorphOS has supported DualPNG icons as long as I remember.

I guess MorphOS has the best icon support of all our platforms... it supports original Amiga icons, NewIcons, GlowIcons, OS4 icons, PNG icons, DualPNG icons, and SVG icons as the latest addition.

AMIGASYSTEM 
Posted on 3-May-2024 12:21:24
#24 ]

@jPV

If you try to change Tooltypes or save any settings to MOS, the DualPNG Icons are destroyed and replaced by old icons.

HERE On MorpZone there is a discussion on the subject-.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 03-May-2024 at 12:23 PM.
Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 03-May-2024 at 12:22 PM.

jPV 
Posted on 3-May-2024 16:10:08
#25 ]
Cult Member

@AMIGASYSTEM

I'm pretty sure that hasn't been the case always, but a bug has slipped in at some point. In any case it's already been fixed for the next release which has been available for betatesters since the fix. And DualPNG icons still show up and work just fine if you don't write certain new data on them. My drive icons etc. have "always" been DualPNG icons and in practise I never write any new data on them, so I haven't had issues in practise. So, they're definitely supported even though the current release has a bug.

Last edited by jPV on 03-May-2024 at 04:17 PM.

AMIGASYSTEM 
Posted on 3-May-2024 16:43:20
#26 ]

@jPV

Ok hopefully the new version will be released soon.

Anyway the DualPNG icon is destroyed by MOS, even if you try to swap the icons (between two files), or if you change the icon type, example from Project to Tools

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 03-May-2024 at 04:44 PM.

pixie 
Posted on 3-May-2024 16:57:14
#27 ]
Elite Member

@jPV

Have you add problems with double icons png? I would imagine that if one needed to change the type of it, you could for example go over UAE and bring the changed icons and apply on MorphOS.

Isn't a matter of changing their name afterwards?

jPV 
Posted on 3-May-2024 17:11:08
#28 ]
Cult Member

I don't have any issues with DualPNG icons myself, but if someone else needs to change their properties, you can use RNOEffects on any Amiga compatible platform ;)

In RNOEffects:
1) Open (select a DualPNG file)
2) Select "Auto"
3) Save as Icon
4) Change Format to DualPNG
5) Change Type to whatever you want, edit Tooltypes or other properties
6) Click "OK" :)

AMIGASYSTEM 
Posted on 3-May-2024 18:02:29
#29 ]

@jPV

Thanks jPV good to know, but actually on AROS for the Icon type is different, an Icon whether it is Disk, Folder, Project or Tool, it will automatically "transform" based on the file you associate.

Example you can associate a folder icon with a binary and the folder will become a Tool type, or rename it disk.info and it will turn into a Disk Icon, basically the icon could be understood as universal.

So if you on AROS change the Icon Type, this type will change if you use this icon for a file or folder of different types.

AROS is based on Amiga OS 3.1, so at the moment it is not posible to exchange Images between Icons, but thanks to "miker" we have the application "IconClone" which allows you to exchange Images with all Icon formats like OS3,9, OS4, MOS.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 03-May-2024 at 06:17 PM.
Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 03-May-2024 at 06:03 PM.

kolla 
Posted on 3-May-2024 18:56:46
#30 ]
Elite Member

@AMIGASYSTEM

That sounds annoying, I often use project icons for not just files, but also drawers.

AMIGASYSTEM 
Posted on 3-May-2024 20:54:16
#31 ]

@kolla

Why annoying.

Also on OS 3.9 BB4 behaves like AROS x86, the icon is universal !

Also on MOS the same thing happens, but MOS however will also change the image (will assign a def_icon), so you can't have the original who had icon image :)

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 03-May-2024 at 08:57 PM.
Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 03-May-2024 at 08:55 PM.

pixie 
Posted on 4-May-2024 8:22:34
#32 ]
Elite Member

@AMIGASYSTEM

I've downloaded diskimage_device on aminet, full of png icons and they behave normally... if they were to be updated and given that exists that bug exists, all would transformed from two states into one. Perhaps that happens in a few specific situation.

For example, I copied one icon which was perfectly working and he was still working perfectly still. I then proceed to change the default tool, and it kept working as normally it did. Saved from project to tool, and it kept working.

I am running MorphOS 3.18

AMIGASYSTEM 
Posted on 4-May-2024 14:33:46
#33 ]

@pixie

No, the Icons you found in the archive "diskimage_device.tar.bz2", are not DualPNG icons, but they are Icons Powericons OS4 style !

pixie 
Posted on 4-May-2024 15:53:36
#34 ]
Elite Member

@AMIGASYSTEM

They might not be be DualPNG but they are high colour dual state icons, and they're beautiful!!
:D

I procede to use that of icon.library, IconDemoHAM8.lha, and they do work. You cannot go on information changing things, but like you've putted, it does it "automagically", meaning, if i copy the icon over a tool, and it starts the tool, if I copy the icon over a text file it opens the file.

I would consider it a minor hassle, at best!

Besides, MorphOS is miles ahead of AROS, UI wise, it's not only having good icons, dual state isn't even something people are used elsewhere, so that's not something they would miss.

Last edited by pixie on 04-May-2024 at 04:40 PM.

AMIGASYSTEM 
Posted on 4-May-2024 17:10:24
#35 ]

@pixie

OS4 Icons have 2 Faces but "They are not DualPNG Icons" so they don't fall under the Bug I mentioned, don't confuse things !

Also OS4 does not handle DualPNG Icons well ! on OS3 the PowerIcons native OS4 Icons can be seen thanks to AfA OS extension and Icon.library by my friend by PeterK

I never said That AROS is more advanced than MOS, MOS is much more advanced, but it does not use a Workbench but an advanced version of Dopus5 Magellan, so we are talking about other Workbench architecture.

As you know I don't Love Magellan because it integrates all the System Apps, I like the Workbench (Wanderer) with its individual System Apps.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 04-May-2024 at 05:11 PM.

pixie 
Posted on 4-May-2024 18:13:52
#36 ]
Elite Member

@AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
AMIGASYSTEM :
OS4 Icons have 2 Faces but "They are not DualPNG Icons" so they don't fall under the Bug I mentioned, don't confuse things !

When you previously had stated:
Quote:
AMIGASYSTEM:
On AROS you can have the most beautiful Icons, AROS supports any kind of Icon, MOS for example uses PNG images but only one face, it does not support DualPNG.

Does it really matter when the intent is to use 'the most beautiful icons possible' if the icons being used are OS4 or in PNG format? I, as a user, as long as I have access to one of those would be glad, but I can even use both!! (altough one with minor quirks I recon)...

in a way, you seemed to imply MorphOS had no dual state icons, which is not true. We could have a big problem if MorphOS while seaking for the format of the base file applied the same code that is on the origin of the bug, and messed the icon, but it doesn't, it only messes with the icon **IF** you open information and you do the tweaking yourself.

Quote:
AMIGASYSTEM:
Also OS4 does not handle DualPNG Icons well ! on OS3 the PowerIcons native OS4 Icons can be seen thanks to AfA OS extension and Icon.library by my friend by PeterK

I fail to understand the relevance of what OS4 supports or not regarding MorphOS showing OS4 icons dual state.

Then you rumble that I shouldn't confuse things, when I told you, step by step, on how real dualpngs do actually work (as long as you don't use the information and change infos on them):
Quote:
pixie:
I procede to use that of icon.library, IconDemoHAM8.lha, and they do work. You cannot go on information changing things, but like you've putted, it does it "automagically", meaning, if i copy the icon over a tool, and it starts the tool, if I copy the icon over a text file it opens the file.

Quote:
AMIGASYSTEM:
As you know I don't Love Magellan because it integrates all the System Apps, I like the Workbench (Wanderer) with its individual System Apps.

I do happen to know your dislike for Magellan, but you don't seem to know that MorphOS doesn't even use it, it uses Ambient, and has been using since it's inception, so I don't know where you pictured that... and the irony being that it has perhaps more similar to Wanderer then you think (or Scalos for that matter) ... besides, there's a life to UI besides Workbench you know, there's the applications, which is what usually one is talking when refering to UI...

AMIGASYSTEM 
Posted on 4-May-2024 20:32:56
#37 ]

@pixie

Needless to continue to argue, as my English is not understandable, OS4's Icons "Are Not DualPNG", they are two different types of Icons from each other, is MOS does not support only "DualPNG"

DualPNG is an Icon type, basically and Icon type name, which includes the sum of two Icons

The DualPNG icon is also created with the Copy command or the Join Command ! see this old video of mine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bh78vgnfXgY

If you look at the file management, file associations and various configurations on Ambient, I would find that Amient is very similar to Magellan, but also to Scalos, on MOS of Workbench there is almost nothing !

My discussion ends here otherwise we annoy other users !

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 04-May-2024 at 08:39 PM.
Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM on 04-May-2024 at 08:37 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle