Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 92 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  17 mins ago
 g01df1sh:  42 mins ago
 Rob:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 A1200:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  2 hrs 9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 Karlos:  2 hrs 12 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 zipper:  3 hrs 25 mins ago
 sibbi:  3 hrs 37 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Hardware
      /  A1222 production now underway!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )
PosterThread
NutsAboutAmiga 
Re: A1222 production now underway!
Posted on 29-Jul-2023 22:07:44
#381 ]
Elite Member

@Hammer

So all need to do is beg Hans de Ruiter for a driver.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 29-Jul-2023 at 10:23 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
Hammer 
Posted on 29-Jul-2023 22:14:55
#382 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Hammer

Quote:
If MS-DOS-ported games dominate the neo-AmigaOS gaming scene, it turns the neo-AmigaOS into a PC retro with a different UI middleware infrastructure and it has identity issues.

PC = Personal Computer or Home Computer
is the same thing, computer with a CPU, some RAM, some storage, a GFX card.
when we talk about PC, unlike Mac, we normally talk about a motherboard with a x86 or AMD.
680x0 and PowerPC has most often referred to as Home Computers or Apples, or the workstations.

Software is adaptable, games has ported to lots of different system as long as I can remember, you can see a C64, Atari, Amiga version of same game, and sometimes you a PC, Apple version of a game. There games run on Linux. As long as Open source its portable. In 80’s games ports looked different on different platforms because chipsets max colors, and sound support was different, and CPU speed was often huge differences.

lot’s techniques for port games used, some worst game ports use emulator, part of the game is emulated or even sometimes you find games are bundled with a emulator,
gog.com has typical DOSBox bundled, you simply click on startup script.

DOSBox work wherry nicely on AmigaONE systems. It even comes with a nice JIT compiler, so runs pretty fast.

So if you can unpack the game, you can copy it over, startup script won’t work. we don’t have .bat support , so not a MSDOS PC

The "PC" is specific for IBM PC clones that evolved into "Wintel" PCs.

Apple and the market at large refer to Apple's micro-computer as "Macintosh" or "Mac" regardless of the CPU's instruction set.

The generic term is micro-computer.

Hammer 
Posted on 29-Jul-2023 22:20:49
#383 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

NutsAboutAmiga wrote:
@Hammer

So all need to do is beg Hanz for a driver.

Trevor Dickinson is bankrolling bootable "Enhancer" software releases including the Warp3D Nova framework.

Broadcom's VideoCore OpenGL (Warp3D) acceleration is Emu68 stakeholder's problem.
Broadcom's VideoCore Vulkan Linux driver was written by an NVIDIA engineer in his spare time.

WinUAE's Wazp3D has the bridge into the host OS's 3D subsystem.

Atm, PiStorm32's RPI 4B can brute force GLQuake and Quake 3 via a single CPU thread Wazp3D software render. It's possible to use four Emu68 CPUs to speed up the process with the port of the Swiftshader Vulkan LLVM software renderer.

Last edited by Hammer on 31-Jul-2023 at 04:39 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 29-Jul-2023 at 10:31 PM.

V8 
Posted on 30-Jul-2023 8:47:31
#384 ]

@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

Kind of, Yes, or Maybe, or ask someone else to write a driver, or write one yourself.
It is how things work in hobbyist retro communes. You celebrate what you get but you don't ask for or demand things. You get what you get and celebrate it. And beyond that you maybe do something and others find it useful and fun too. Or, just write the godamn driver yourself since you are in a retro community and no one else is gonna write it for you.

Keep expectations low but enjoy what you have and enjoy your friends that are also part of this ridiculous dead end retro hobby. Have fun.

It is when you aim too high and try to reach to impossible goals that things turn bad. Disappointments, anger and resentment. Don't do that.

Myself I still write code for the PS2. The PS2 scene is probably more active today than the AmigaNG scene, but whatever. I write software for it because I enjoy it, and it is cool, and there are dozens of other people that like and try the software I write.
Because it is fun.

I do not think that the PS2 and its OS will make a revival and become mainstream. I do not think PS2 will become a "main compute platform" or "daily driver". Those thoughts are mental delusions. This is a retro hobby. Some people will make cool shit but there is no schedule. New things might happen or they might not. Someone might develop really shitty games for A500 and start selling them on floppy-disks with nice labels?

That is the future of retro computing. If you fail to understand this you will just become disappointerd, angry and disillusioned. Don't be like that. Enjoy what you have and celebrate it and stop dreaming about some retarded "we will beome mainstream again and become a popular platform." Not gonna happen. Not even the Spectrum48k community thinks like you do. They accept they are retro and the actually have MORE commercial game titles developed in 2023 and released, commecrially!!! than OS4.

It is the attitude of Spectrum48k folks of: "haha, I will release my game on C-30 cassette tape and sell it commecrially for 2Euro (plus shipping) and 7 people will buy my game, on a C-30 cassette and they will load it into their spectrum using their tape drive.
BECAUSE WHY THE FUCK NOT

Until you understand why people do this you will remain and feel miserable about why OS4 is not mainstream.

Last edited by V8 on 30-Jul-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Last edited by V8 on 30-Jul-2023 at 08:53 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 30-Jul-2023 9:27:38
#385 ]
Elite Member

@V8

I do not know if he really believes AOS becoming more than it is now.There are some people on AOS and MorphOS who want to use it as daily platform and productive.

Most in the community see it as pure retro where they can play the old games and some newer and have memories and discuss "what would have happened if" and "whom to blame"

Others buy new hardware so to say change history with powerful hardware where they can play games on a configuration they never could have afforded back then. Thar is for me the PiStorm and V4 users.

I personal like to fiddle around with a NG OS on 68k. That is also obscure in the community ;). Most prefer 3.X in some form.

That is the mass of the crowd. Pure retro. Nobody there seriously believes the 68k platform will become mainstream again or is as productive as a mainstream platform. It is the personal fun. The same is true for game developers. They like the challenge of the old and limited hardware to find tricks how they realize things that seem to be impossible. To do something is fun and not money. That is true for the few developers doing something on NG and that is true for all developers doing something on 68k.

ferrels 
Posted on 30-Jul-2023 17:52:51
#386 ]
Cult Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
Nobody there seriously believes the 68k platform will become mainstream again or is as productive as a mainstream platform.

That statement isn't true. I constantly see posts on this forum from people who believe that 68K Amigas and OS3 are going to rise from the ashes and retake the desktop market, as if it had ever held supremacy on the desktop to begin with. It's usually the same old clowns, mental midgets, social rejects, and psychiatric patients who have never owned another computer before or since they bought their A500/1000 back in 1990. And AmigaWorld is heavily populated with all the aforementioned type of people.

kolla 
Posted on 31-Jul-2023 0:10:33
#387 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Who, specifically?

agami 
Posted on 31-Jul-2023 4:26:20
#388 ]

@ferrels

Quote:
kolla wrote:
@ferrels

Who, specifically?

Yeah, who specifically?

Hammer 
Posted on 31-Jul-2023 4:33:06
#389 ]
Elite Member

@V8

Quote:

V8 wrote:
@NutsAboutAmiga

Quote:

Kind of, Yes, or Maybe, or ask someone else to write a driver, or write one yourself.
It is how things work in hobbyist retro communes. You celebrate what you get but you don't ask for or demand things. You get what you get and celebrate it. And beyond that you maybe do something and others find it useful and fun too. Or, just write the godamn driver yourself since you are in a retro community and no one else is gonna write it for you.

Keep expectations low but enjoy what you have and enjoy your friends that are also part of this ridiculous dead end retro hobby. Have fun.

It is when you aim too high and try to reach to impossible goals that things turn bad. Disappointments, anger and resentment. Don't do that.

Myself I still write code for the PS2. The PS2 scene is probably more active today than the AmigaNG scene, but whatever. I write software for it because I enjoy it, and it is cool, and there are dozens of other people that like and try the software I write.
Because it is fun.

I do not think that the PS2 and its OS will make a revival and become mainstream. I do not think PS2 will become a "main compute platform" or "daily driver". Those thoughts are mental delusions. This is a retro hobby. Some people will make cool shit but there is no schedule. New things might happen or they might not. Someone might develop really shitty games for A500 and start selling them on floppy-disks with nice labels?

That is the future of retro computing. If you fail to understand this you will just become disappointerd, angry and disillusioned. Don't be like that. Enjoy what you have and celebrate it and stop dreaming about some retarded "we will beome mainstream again and become a popular platform." Not gonna happen. Not even the Spectrum48k community thinks like you do. They accept they are retro and the actually have MORE commercial game titles developed in 2023 and released, commecrially!!! than OS4.

It is the attitude of Spectrum48k folks of: "haha, I will release my game on C-30 cassette tape and sell it commecrially for 2Euro (plus shipping) and 7 people will buy my game, on a C-30 cassette and they will load it into their spectrum using their tape drive.
BECAUSE WHY THE FUCK NOT

Until you understand why people do this you will remain and feel miserable about why OS4 is not mainstream.

Only worry about being "mainstream" when this retro adventure reaches Raspberry Pi-level success. My local Jaycar electronics stores sell Raspberry Pi and related components and the company owns around 110 stores across Australia and New Zealand.

Raspberry Pi ARM has effectively replaced Acorn's BBC Micro as the mass education "micro-computer" platform and there are no Jack Tramiel's Commodore inferences in this round.

Raspberry Pi's semi-custom ARM ecosystem has to compete against ARM's SystemReady ARM ecosystem standard.

Last edited by Hammer on 31-Jul-2023 at 04:37 AM.
Last edited by Hammer on 31-Jul-2023 at 04:36 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 31-Jul-2023 17:09:30
#390 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Avoid the site for several weeks, never look at this thread again and hope that people forget.

ferrels 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 7:16:45
#391 ]
Cult Member

@kolla

Quote:
Who, specifically?

matthey for one. He was even spouting off about how OS3 was a perfect candidate for an RTOS. I can come up with plenty more names but I have more important things to do than be your search engine.

ferrels 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 7:18:25
#392 ]
Cult Member

@Rob

Quote:
@ferrels

Avoid the site for several weeks, never look at this thread again and hope that people forget.

Liar.

matthey and several other weirdos believe that OS3 can make a comeback and he was even saying it would make a great RTOS.

ferrels 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 7:20:15
#393 ]
Cult Member

@agami

Quote:
Yeah, who specifically?

Specifically matthey and several other morons. Do your own forum search and you'll find plenty more of these frauds and mental midgets who believe that OS3 is going to rise like a Phoenix from the ashes.

ferrels 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 7:34:58
#394 ]
Cult Member

Oh, and here's an entire thread dedicated to how the Amiga can retake the world's desktops by storm with user after user who believes that Amiga makes it possible...I realize this thread is mostly referencing OS4 but the delusions run just as deep there as its does with the OS3 believers.

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39917&forum=14#768852

Last edited by ferrels on 03-Aug-2023 at 07:38 AM.

pixie 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 7:38:05
#395 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:

Specifically matthey and several other morons. Do your own forum search and you'll find plenty more of these frauds and mental midgets who believe that OS3 is going to rise like a Phoenix from the ashes.

That's really a low blow, Matthey in opposition knows how to land his arguments, you may not have to agree with them as in life in general but calling someone a moron who doesn't behave as such is quite cheap shot. You really should check some help, somehow you seem to want a site who is tailored to your needs, it's now 2023 if it's something that really bother you , and somehow see 'AmigaWorld is heavily populated with all the aforementioned type of people' better leave.

pixie 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 7:39:32
#396 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:

Oh, and here's an entire thread dedicated to how the Amiga can retake the world by storm with user after user who believes that Amiga makes it possible...

https://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=39917&forum=14#768852

What do you expect that people talk on Amiga site? News? Linux? I really wonder why all this virtue signaling

ferrels 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 7:41:16
#397 ]
Cult Member

@pixie

Quote:
That's really a low blow, Matthey in opposition knows how to land his arguments

Matthey is a f@cking fraud who is a tractor tire and wheel salesman. Nothing more and nothing less. So yeah, when it comes to IT, he's a moron who uses Google and wikipedia to whip people into submission with volumes of useless info.

BigD 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 7:51:45
#398 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

He does his own development. Single handedly brought the Prisma Megamix to market and has carried on the Eyetech legacy very well offering Amiga solutions to keep the machines going and upgraded! He stopped selling AmigaOS 4.x systems for a time when Hyperion became particularly non-compliant. Other than more regular communication, what more could you ask for?

Hammer 
Posted on 3-Aug-2023 14:20:46
#399 ]
Elite Member

@ferrels

Quote:

ferrels wrote:
@kolla

Quote:
Who, specifically?

matthey for one. He was even spouting off about how OS3 was a perfect candidate for an RTOS. I can come up with plenty more names but I have more important things to do than be your search engine.

RTOS? That's departing from Amiga's primary mission i.e. games home computer without the premium cost.

agami 
Posted on 4-Aug-2023 2:43:06
#400 ]

@ferrels

Quote:
ferrels wrote:
@pixie

Matthey is a f@cking fraud who is a tractor tire and wheel salesman. Nothing more and nothing less.

Maybe it's an American thing, or just maybe in your parts of AZ, but humans can be, and often are more than just their jobs.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle