Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 73 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

CosmosUnivers

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 CosmosUnivers:  3 mins ago
 zipper:  7 mins ago
 kolla:  9 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  17 mins ago
 fatbob_gb:  32 mins ago
 bhabbott:  34 mins ago
 matthey:  51 mins ago
 OlafS25:  1 hr 41 mins ago
 amigakit:  1 hr 43 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  AmigaNG: Amiga or not?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: AmigaNG: Amiga or not?
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 16:54:05
#61 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
it was indeed a great product. It is a pity that it was dropped

As I worote many times before: Bill McEwen is like reverted king Midas: everything he touches, turns in to pile of ashes.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 17:00:25
#62 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

The interesting thing is I have found key people in all "camps" say exactly the same thing.

One has to question why something so agreeable to so many people including the parent company was not revisited.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 17:03:58
#63 ]

@Vistaus

Quote:

Vistaus wrote:
@Boot_WB

Wowow, say to Olaf whatever you want (freedom of speech, after all) but when I wrote the OP I wasn't talking about trademarks. I was more after the normal, general use of the word Amiga for AmigaNG's, not the legal status of it.

Ah, I see - you innocently stepped into a bit of a minefield then.

In terms of its 'general usage' it's often used in two ways: as an adjective ("Is it Amiga?"), and as a noun ("Is it an Amiga?"). The two are often confused, which can be the source of much disagreement.

As an adjective ("Is it Amiga?") Amiga is as inclusive as you want it to be (AmigaOS4.x, AROS, MorphOS, Amithlon, WinUAE), all hardware (Commodore 68K machines, peripherals, accelerators, AmigaOnes, Pegasos, Sams, Macs, PCs running AROS, PCs running UAE, etc).

As a noun ("Is it an Amiga?") Amiga is a trademark, which applies only to Commodore/Amiga Tech 68K machines*.

A Draco is very Amiga, but is not an Amiga.
A CUSA Amiga* would be an Amiga, but would not be very Amiga.

(* Did CUSA actually release an "Amiga"?)

number6 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 17:07:46
#64 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
A CUSA Amiga* would be an Amiga, but would not be very Amiga.

(* Did CUSA actually release an "Amiga"?)

*cough* Amiga Games Inc. claims it as part of their proud legacy.

You really need to visit the back pages of AW more often. Heh.

OlafS25 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 17:07:49
#65 ]
Elite Member

@number6

it is a kind of religion and deep believe, I do not know why people insist so on certain points. Amiga always was much more than just a computer but i personally would prefer if we would see each other just as Amigans, whatever and whyever we have chosen a certain platform and accept that everyone defines Amiga different.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 17:15:11
#66 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Boot_WB
*cough* Amiga Games Inc. claims it as part of their proud legacy.

Oh just Lol! That still leaves me none-the-wiser though as to whether it actually existed though.

(The Wikipedia page suggests the Amiga Mini and possibly Mio were actually available as a product at one time.)

number6 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 17:18:11
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

mkay. go to the back pages and ask.

I'm trying to obey the site rules. heh.

pavlor 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 17:28:46
#68 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
Oh just Lol! That still leaves me none-the-wiser though as to whether it actually existed though.

Some members of this forum even had one! (not me )

Quote:
(The Wikipedia page suggests the Amiga Mini and possibly Mio were actually available as a product at one time.)

Question of inclusion of Amiga Mini in the "Amiga models and variants" Article on Wikipedia is still open...

Vistaus 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 19:07:29
#69 ]

@Boot_WB

You're making it way more complicated than it needs to. All I wanted to know was: when we're on forums like these, tech sites, etc. can I call an AmigaNG an Amiga? Just for referencing what I use, not for referencing what it legally is.

It's partly answered by some people now who convinced me to call an NG an Amiga if I want to. But there still seem to be two camps. I know there were camps, but what I mean is: it doesn't seem like an easy-to-answer question.
I do call my AmigaONE 500 an Amiga wherever I tell about it. And given that it seems to be a wash what to really reference to, I just keep on referencing to it as an Amiga then :)

QuikSanz 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 19:19:44
#70 ]

@Vistaus,

With the non swaying opinions on the boards it's tough to be safe. There are some who say a Jeep is no longer a Jeep because Chrysler makes them now.

Just call it a Sam with AOS4+ and you'll be safe, lol.

Chris

Overflow 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 19:20:56
#71 ]

@Vistaus

I just make it easy on myself by saying "Classic" or NG (AOS4 PPC).

So basically I have a few terms; Classic, NG, Aros and Morphos.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 20:31:14
#72 ]

@Vistaus

Quote:
All I wanted to know was: when we're on forums like these, tech sites, etc. can I call an AmigaNG an Amiga? Just for referencing what I use, not for referencing what it legally is.

Oh, then hell yes. Everyone will know what you're talking about, and only someone looking for offense will actually find it.

I thought you were looking for some kind of definitive answer, more in-depth than "yes" or "no". As you recognise, it's not an easy-to-answer question.

I agree that it's way more complicated than it needs to be.

paolone 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 22:40:19
#73 ]

Answering to initial question is impossible unless you ask first a better question:

"What does or did Amiga mean for you?"

With few exceptions, we're all here (on this forum, but also on other Amiga-related fora) because in our youth Amiga has not been just a computer, but a real philosophic choice. A instrument to show our talent, a friend to play games with, a brush to let our expressivity free, a field to measure our skills. We irrationally loved this platform at the point we're still here arguing about what of the current 'camps' is the best one, somehow loosing the focus on the real miracle: that all these camps exist!

So, when you ask if Amiga NG platforms are Amiga as well, there are always two possible answers.

The pragmatic and technically correct "NO", and the bloody-hearted, enthusiast philosophic and historically correct "YES". These answers are not in contradiction for the same reasons people already explained, they lay on completely different universes.

AmigaNG platforms AREN'T Amiga products because the original Amiga platform relied on some specific and original concepts which had been true from the first Amiga 1000 released by Commodore-Amiga in 1985 to the last Amiga 4000T model released - IIRC - by Escom. Nothing of these concepts has been kept with Amiga NG platforms, there's really nothing in common between a SAM and a A1200. They are different products with different naming and brands. They are AmigaONEs.

AmigaNG ARE "Amiga" (with commas), in a wider, more generalized use of the term, because all of them try to keep the platform alive somehow, each one with their strengths and problems. If you'd ask me, I would tell you that my Icaros based Acer AspireOne A150 netbook is my current Amiga. It somehow looks like an Amiga, it acts like an Amiga, it can even run Amiga games and applications in a integrated fashion so, from my personal point of view, this is my Amiga and noone will make me change my mind, whatever he/she will say. I could even argue why I think it would be even more Amiga than other official solutions, but that's not my goal and, best of all, it would just be my opinion.

Tomppeli 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 22:42:50
#74 ]

@Vistaus

I think it's a lag of a chipset which PC users can't have.

Fransexy 
Posted on 17-Jun-2014 23:26:47
#75 ]
Elite Member

@Vistaus

Sometimes the best answer to a question is another question:

A modern MAC: Mac or not?

A modern MAC have not in common neither the OS nor the hardware of the original MAC (and neither is based on the original source code nor is binary compatible) and i do not see people saying that modern MACS are not MACS

Last edited by Fransexy on 17-Jun-2014 at 11:28 PM.

Fransexy 
Posted on 18-Jun-2014 0:05:12
#76 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:

I can remember in the old days that the debate was "Amiga versus PC" and not "AmigaOS versus MSDOS".

That's because back in the 80's the computers and the OS were indivisible; formed as a only whole. In those times you could not think in the OS without the hardware and with the hardware without the OS.When PC was able to run (or at least was popularized) other operating systems (mainly Windows) and also Amiga (commodore unix and later linux) was when the debate separates to hardaware vs hardware and OS vs OS

Last edited by Fransexy on 18-Jun-2014 at 12:09 AM.

danwood 
Posted on 18-Jun-2014 0:17:20
#77 ]

@Fransexy

Quote:
A modern MAC have not in common neither the OS nor the hardware of the original MAC (and neither is based on the original source code nor is binary compatible) and i do not see people saying that modern MACS are not MACS

Well Mac (Not MAC which is a Media Access Control address) hardware is still made by the original company and has a very straight forward continual evolutional timeline that changed bit-by-bit into the machines they are today. A dedicated all-in-one platform of hardware and software developed by Apple and branded as a Macintosh, same as it has been for over 30 years, there's no ambiguity or question there.

That's a very different situation with the Amiga though whose parent company vanished 20 years ago and whose assets, hardware/software has been split between dozens of companies, re-built, re-designed, reverse engineered, cloned etc into the various operating systems we have running on hardware made by yet another handful of companies.

Last edited by danwood on 18-Jun-2014 at 12:18 AM.

Fransexy 
Posted on 18-Jun-2014 0:17:21
#78 ]
Elite Member

@Fransexy

Quote:

Fransexy wrote:
@OlafS25

Quote:

OlafS25 wrote:

I can remember in the old days that the debate was "Amiga versus PC" and not "AmigaOS versus MSDOS".

That's because back in the 80's the computers and the OS were indivisible; formed as a only whole. In those times you could not think in the OS without the hardware and with the hardware without the OS.When PC was able to run (or at least was popularized) other operating systems (mainly Windows) and also Amiga (commodore unix and later linux) was when the debate separates to hardaware vs hardware and OS vs OS

And and in connection with this: firstly the debate was Amiga vs Atari; PC were not considered a challenger. While Amiga and Atari were fighting each other the PC grew without being seen as a threat until it was too late

Fransexy 
Posted on 18-Jun-2014 0:26:44
#79 ]
Elite Member

@danwood

Quote:
Well Mac (Not MAC which is a Media Access Control address)....

Yup, I pass with the capitals

Last edited by Fransexy on 18-Jun-2014 at 12:30 AM.
Last edited by Fransexy on 18-Jun-2014 at 12:29 AM.

agami 
Posted on 18-Jun-2014 2:39:11
#80 ]

@Fransexy

What @danwood said.

Eddie

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle