Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
26 crawler(s) on-line.
 88 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 OlafS25:  11 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  18 mins ago
 amigakit:  26 mins ago
 Rob:  59 mins ago
 Maijestro:  1 hr 9 mins ago
 Rudei:  1 hr 21 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 AndreasM:  2 hrs ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 25 mins ago
 clint:  3 hrs 24 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4 Software
      /  Any updates since AmiWest (in effect since Kernel update?)
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
pavlor 
Re: Any updates since AmiWest (in effect since Kernel update?)
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 13:04:01
#61 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate

Thanks for your input. How nice to have you there...

Profile     Report this post  
Amiboy 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 13:14:34
#62 ]

@cheesegrate

What drivers is the Sam460 lacking?

A1200, Power Tower, TF1260 128MB RAM, 68060 Rev 6, OS3.9 BB2, HD-Floppy, Mediator TX+ PCI, Voodoo 3 3000, Soundblaster 4.1, TV Card, Spider USB, 100MBit Ethernet, 16GB CF HD, 52xCDRom.

number6 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 13:50:00
#63 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

Quote:

Wild guess. A reference to lack of video h/w acceleration, which we know the Radeon 9250 achieves on the Sam440ep model prior.

itix 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 13:59:31
#64 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

Quote:

Good luck on your new Holy Crusade, I´m sure you will enjoy it as much as your War against CommodoreUSA.

@cha05e90
Quote:

Funny, I thought the same - a new victim and a new crusade. Where's my popcorn?

Severin 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 14:01:50
#65 ]
Elite Member

@vox

[Quote]No, I have paid 100 quid (more then ordinary copy price of X1000 OS 4.1.5 of 50-60 quid) for OS 4.1 that doesn`t support some of basic board features like Compact card and onboard ethernet, with no liability but a promise of OS 4.2.[/quote]

No you were charged 100 quid for OS4.2, the 'normal' price of £42.95 for OS4.1 is a special offer for those who want to support Hyperion and have a 4.1 license as well as 4.2.

Why are you so pissed off about the CF slot? it's not like you could really use it for anything even if you could access it from OS4, it's only real use is for linux and it does work from there. You could always port the linux driver to OS4, in fact I think you should just to find out how difficult it really is.

Quote:
I am more astonished by level of support to current and moving away from it, then in knowledge of waiting for OS 4.2 and surely the way
users requests on what they need are treated.

What do you expect from them?

Telephone support? If they could afford to employ people for that they'd also be able to afford a team of developers.

Email support? you've got that, the email addresses of everyone involved are freely available (just don't abuse it, no point bombing them with emails as it stops development while they have to read them and is most likely to get your emails filtered to the trash).

Forum support? You had it until you were banned. I didn't know exactly what you had done to get the ban but now you've said you posted a private email in public I think you deserve it, I would have banned you for a year.

Quote:
For example, Trevor is using onboard ethernet, but no one else can. It was said to be done
on AmiWest.

I can and am using it, I can't say anything else about it though. It was said to be 'In Beta' by Trevor at amiwest and no release date or even estimate was mentioned. Watch the video again as it's talked about in the first few minutes.

You were supplied with a working ethernet card to use until the onboard drivers were done. So you do have working internet (obviously with the amount of trouble and ill-will you're stirring up) your point is moot.

I think you spent far too long thinking about buying your X1000, dreaming about it, building up your internal image of perfection and were dissappointed with what you got. You have two immediate choices, Except reality, calm down and wait or sell the X1000.

Visit the Official OS4 Support Site for more help.

It may be that your sole purpose is to serve as a warning to others.

cdimauro 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 14:14:26
#66 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@cdimauro

Quote:
Regards your "adventure", well, you cannot say that you were not informed of the situation. As pavlov stated, your holy war to defend your faith is well know. You simple have got what you sowed. And, again, don't tell me that you weren't conscious about what it may happen buying such machine...

There is no intent to sell it. I like the machine and I am constantly upgrading it
on hardware and software side.

I knew it all, except that developers are such .... ____________ you fill tje blanks.

No, you knew even this! You're the guy that commented my articles on X1000, don't you remember? And now you completely changed your mind. But the truth is that you did it simply because you've got burned by your X1000 experience. That's all.

Don't try to sell a different story to who knows you.

Quote:
I will use my end user rights and knowledge of what isn`t finished
to fight it in court, unless support improves.

At least fight the right company. Hyperion has no rule on your claims. You've bought a machine which lacks support, and Hyperion has signed no contract to provide them, from what I know.

scabit 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 14:58:14
#67 ]

@Vox
@cheesegrate

Quote:
get a cheap PC to put AROS on or accept an offer from someone here to send you a G4 mac, pay the €80 and use MorphOS for your "NG fix".

But MorphOS keeps saying "Its not Amiga OS....." so why not just recommend Vox use Windows 7 or a MAC? These have far more features and available programs than either Amiga OS4 or MorphOS. At least some of the Morph OS guys are honest in admitting that MorphOS is not Amiga OS, (really its just a wanna be AmigaOS). I give them credit for that.
I think Vox had anticipated when he got an AmigaOS4 machine that development would increase as more and more users came onboard, and in fact it has. I have been away from the forums for the most part for the past 3 months and come back to find dozens of new QT apps ported over to AmigaOS4, many many OS updates via AmiUpdate, including a kernel update, and a nearly fully ported version of Dopus 5 on OS4! Wow!
Not to mention many new programs on OS4 depot that I haven't had time to look at. There is a great deal of Amiga OS4 development going on, and I look forward to Libre Office and OS4.2...
That being said....I think we all need to realize that the Amiga that once had the opportunity to take over the world has missed its opportunity - blame Commodore, Gateway, Escom, Bill Gates, whoever you want. I find it amazing that we are still even selling OS4 machines these days, not because of the price, but because of the generation of users now prevalent that have never even heard of Amiga.
We'd all like to see a different history written for the Amiga in which it won out over PCs and MACs and became the household "standard computer" around the world....but that didn't happen. Maybe it should have, but it didn't.
So why do we expect that the development of the OS will continue as if it did? How many software engineers work full time - paid - to deliver a new version of MAC OS or Windows? Hundreds? Thousands? AmigaOS4 has two guys willing to keep at it year after year to hammer out a working OS for one new machine after another, (which is a miracle in itself...are they nuts or what?), but instead of being thankful to have an OS$ amiga computer to buy and use today, we want to complain about whats missing.
I'm not saying we should blind ourselves to the need for 3D graphics drivers, multicore support, or a new printer driver system. Rather, we should either help with the effort or accept the facts of what we have. Hey, a third party group went off and wrote a completely different Amiga printer driver system - Turboprint. Others went off and made programs such as Poseidon for USB, or ways to change the multitasking used by the system. Others went and wrote their own graphics drivers for graphics cards - Picasso for example. This was in the day when there were several Amiga OS developers working full time on Amiga OS. Yet we expect today that all of these things will be performed by the OS programmers while we sit back and wait.
We have greater expectations and fewer resources today than we did 20 years ago. So unless you are going to contribute your own time and abilities to writing graphics drivers or a new printer driver system, stop complaining! Sorry Vox if Amiga OS is not being developed at the pace you would like....but you need to be real about the resources that are dedicated to it and the amount of work to be done.
It is awesome to see people like Kas1e and others still working on porting stuff for AmigaOS4. These guys are great! Its awesome to see MorphOS, Aros and AmigaOS4 groups working together to bring Dopus5 up to speed, for example. I'd love to see more of that.
The Amiga is the computer we use by choice, not by obligation. I "have" to use a PC at work by obligation. I choose to use an Amiga at home because I like it a lot better than the PC. That's my choice. If your choice is different, go get the machine that does what you want, or otherwise invest your time and resources to making what you want to happen happen for OS4. Those Vox are your options. Threatening to sue the OS4 developers for not living up to certain expectations is ridiculous. If everyone were like that, Bill Gates would have millions of law suits against him for his imbecilic and often retarded handling of Windows development. Yikes, I STILL have to wait on a PC to draw a window for me if the internet is slow or a CD is inserted. I have a multi GHz multi core Windows 7 PC that grinds to a crawl because Microsoft designed a retarded OS that is designed for the programmer, not the user. I sit around watching half drawn window frames most of the day when the internet bogs down. Should I sue Microsoft for being so incompetent as to not understand the simple underlying importance of the user interface with respect to object rendering by the OS? According to your logic I should. That in fact makes far more sense because at least they have millions (or billions) of dollars and thousands of programmers working on delivering this piece of garbage.
Anyway, Vox, if you are not happy, go find an OS that makes you happy, be it MorphOs, AROS, MAC or iOS. Go and enjoy it....

vox 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 16:55:56
#68 ]
Elite Member

@cheesegrate

Thanks for concern and summary of my experience.
I would buy MOS for X1000, that can be derrived from G5
port with some good will. I will test it at DJ Nicks place
as soon as its out for SAM 460.

I will not sell X1000 or buy new hardware, I was lurking
for high end G5 Mac in Serbia, but could not get one.

vox 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 16:58:07
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Amiboy

Quote:

Beside RadeonHD as everyone else, onboard SATA
isn`t working at full speed and can work with 1 device
so people are forced to buy slower PCI SATA controllers.

That is if users say audio is good.

And they are left left left behind if X1000 users are kind of
left behind too.

vox 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 17:03:48
#70 ]
Elite Member

@scabit

Quote:
I think Vox had anticipated when he got an AmigaOS4 machine that development would increase as more and more users came onboard, and in fact it has.

Exactly I took a loan too to support Trevors efforts and I am really
sad developers are so ungrateful not to fix some basic stuff.

Quote:
AmigaOS4 has two guys willing to keep at it year after year to hammer out a working OS for one new machine after another, (

Please tell us where to donate so it can be more then 2 persons!!!!!

Quote:
Threatening to sue the OS4 developers for not living up to certain expectations is ridiculous.

Not if they really violate users rights, its other way around.
My expectations are realistic and tied to daily user needs.
I haven`t sad do Libre or OS 4.2 in two months, just above mentioned stuff.
So its nice blackmail, but people don`t get that. I am for OS development,
not trying to bring company down, but it is about time they appriciate
users feedback way better.

So its not user who is bad, but company relations. You all know that,
so please stop sending blame for me for job that someone else
was supposed to do.

I do have x64 laptop and my idea is to learn Libre, Blender, GIMP and few more
apps to be used universally on all, to spend more time in Linux and in the
end in AmigaOS once it becames capable of using X1000 and having Libre
and TW.

Not fixing TW is really downgrading your own users.

What good will be X2000 with OS 4.1.7 and same TW as I have now?

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 17:08:45
#71 ]
Elite Member

@vox

MOS for X1000 is very unlikely because of the small number of user (expecially that most X1000 user will not license MOS)

As others have said... the situation around AOS (development status and speed of development, missing drivers f.e. for onboard components and much more) is known for a long time and long before you bought this expensive system. You made high debts and are not satisfied with it but what did you expect when you bought it? And what was your view of the situation before you bought it? You will not "improve" support by sueing A-eon/Acube or Hyperion. These companies are super-small companies, propably the IT company next corner is bigger than these combined, it is not big money but a pure hobby-market and this will not change. So best is either you sell your X1000 to one of the still existing enthusiasts and use AROS or MorphOS or live with it and lower your expectations like all the others.

pavlor 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 17:14:16
#72 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
and can work with 1 device

460EX SoC support only 1 SATA device - it is hardware "feature", not driver problem.

Judging by recent speed update for SAM440 (mostly memory transfers), even old boards are still supported and OS is upgraded to use best of them. It needs only more time (and patience).

number6 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 17:22:02
#73 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
Thanks for concern and summary of my experience.I would buy MOS for X1000, that can be derrived from G5port with some good will. I will test it at DJ Nicks placeas soon as its out for SAM 460.

But again, until we hear otherwise Frank Mariak clearly stated:

Quote:
I'm sorry to spoil the party but MorphOS support for Sam440 is very unlikely to happen. Our original plans to support 460 got massively delayed already and even there is quite some low level work still ahead.
With all the additional issues showing up in public and the rather sparse feedback we received from customers regarding our plans to support ACube's hardware, it's not even sure if that will ever see the light of day anytime soon ...

Source

And regarding AmigaOne X1000:

Quote:
We have discussed this internally in the past and have no plans to port MorphOS to X1000, this subject is indeed null and void.

Source

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 17:31:15
#74 ]

@vox

Quote:
I was lurking for high end G5 Mac in Serbia, but could not get one.

There is one for sale in Croatia and it includes MorphOS 3.2 installation.

http://www.njuskalo.hr/macintosh/powermac-g5-2.0ghz-dualcore-oglas-8614473

Only about 150 EUR, which is not that much.

_ThEcRoW 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 18:14:03
#75 ]
Cult Member

@scabit

AmigaOS4 isn't Amiga OS, notice the space between.

Mac Mini G4 1GB Ram with the butterfly!!

pavlor 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 18:59:25
#76 ]
Elite Member

@_ThEcRoW

Quote:

Hyperion uses (and can use thanks to Settlement Agreement) both "Amiga OS" and "AmigaOS" names. AmigaOS4 is Amiga OS, without doubt.

Boot_WB 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 19:29:54
#77 ]

@_ThEcRoW

Quote:

_ThEcRoW wrote:
@scabit

December 2000 - December 2006?

/me runs

vox 
Posted on 3-Nov-2013 23:33:58
#78 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
You made high debts and are not satisfied with it but what did you expect when you bought it? And what was your view of the situation before you bought it? You will not "improve" support by sueing A-eon/Acube or Hyperion.

I was seeing things lifting up (TW being worked on, AEON coming out with new rounds
of X1000, at that time 3D driver being worked on), it looked like exciting times on, but\
somehow they have managed to spoil it.

Again, I am not complaining on not knowing what I am buying, I am complaining
on "user supports" and how reasonable user demands are handled on support
forum.

I will improve support by court order to improve it by the EU laws since
it seems AEON/Hyperion aren`t paying any or litte attention to it,
or way too much - if chief AmigaOS developer is handling "support" by himself.
Its either over professional or completely unprofessional.

As on MorphOS on X1000, as far I have read, problem is not just on X1000 poor
performance to G5 in CPU (it has good performance in mem, FPU, gfx and altivec)
but in fact that / About 250 X1000s isn`t much but isn`t nothing to number of MorphOS
licenses.

@Wolf to the moon

I also pay import taxes for Croatia, just less postage.
To be honest, I don`t have room or nerves for any more
devices (X1000, laptop and tablet) so I certainly won`t buy it.
Anyway, I was thinking of G5 before I took the loan, now its too late.

Last edited by vox on 03-Nov-2013 at 11:36 PM.

Pleng 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 3:43:13
#79 ]

@vox

Quote:

Please tell us where to donate so it can be more then 2 persons!!!!!

It seems what we have here is a severe case of miscommunication. Seems that vox has $50,000+ to spare to pay the salary of an OS programmer for a year, and is frustrated because he doesn't know how to get that money to Hyperion.

Why didn't you just *say* that from the start?!

vox 
Posted on 4-Nov-2013 6:47:29
#80 ]
Elite Member

@Severin

Quote:
No you were charged 100 quid for OS4.2, the 'normal' price of £42.95 for OS4.1 is
a special offer for those who want to support Hyperion and have a 4.1 license as well as 4.2.

57 quid prepaid for invisible and uncertain product download with no guarantee?
Thanks for reminding me X1000 users have pre-funded OS 4.2 development,
this is nice argument.

I would if possible donate it to minor fixes I am looking for and buy full boxed OS 4.2

Quote:
Why are you so pissed off about the CF slot? it's not like you could really use it for anything even if you could access it from OS4, it's only real use is for linux and it does work from there. You could always port the linux driver to OS4, in fact I think you should just to find out how difficult it really is.

Your inability to find it useful is your problem. Look, there is no GRUB, you have to boot
Linux kernel from SD card and its speed directly influences boot speed. If Linux gets Kernel
panicking or similar you have no access to card. Its all present removable memory so I can keep
information easily shared between few Linuxes, and AmigaOS if possible. I see it as very very nice innovation that makes me use USB sticks and external drives less, but limited in use.

Quote:
Email support? you've got that, the email addresses of everyone involved are freely available (just don't abuse it, no point bombing them with emails as it stops development while they have to read them and is most likely to get your emails filtered to the trash).

What is official AmigaOS e-mail address? No I don`t bomb people, short antiCUSA campaign copied their methods to the fullest. In this case, if I copy Hyperion, I should be really small company with extremely high nosed attitude.

If you can be relatively easily get banned from support forum, and there is no phone support
(while I believe there should be by EU laws at least limited hours a week, or Skype-Viber as modern replacement) what support you are left?

Quote:
You were supplied with a working ethernet card to use until the onboard drivers were done. So you do have working internet (obviously with the amount of trouble and ill-will you're stirring up) your point is moot.

Its not really fast and reliable and can cause some delays in X1000 boot dependeing wether
cables are or aren`t connected to it. With onboard ethernet that works great this great solution takes also another router connectors and one PCI slot, which is complete waste just because
of slow driver development (OS 4.1.6 has been booting since at least late 2010, and in 3 years you could not beta test a essential driver that reduces X1000 cost at least for RTL card)

Quote:
Except reality, calm down and wait or sell the X1000.

Surely you first dream about that expensive computer,
and later you figure out how to make it real.

Accept reality. Well, reality is users can be pissed of about certain unfinished
things, especially and ultimately unfinished TW.

I enjoy Linux way better not only because of 3D, dual core and ability to see Compact card
and more then 4GB - just because Internet surfing is way more decent and capable.And computer without good browser is useless. Currently my tablet is way more usable then OS4. So TW should be topest top priority as it brings life to all AmigaOS4 machines.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle