Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 93 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

danwood

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 danwood:  3 mins ago
 kriz:  6 mins ago
 Karlos:  7 mins ago
 Matt3k:  8 mins ago
 kolla:  9 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  23 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  40 mins ago
 Tuxedo:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 12 mins ago
 VooDoo:  1 hr 20 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Qt vs. MUI vs. Reaction
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
itix 
Re: Qt vs. MUI vs. Reaction
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 13:11:41
#61 ]
Elite Member

@cha05e90

Quote:

2. itix: No, it's worse, more 2.1 than 3.1. Screenshot's of icon information requesters sadly don't show the amount of functions that can be found in the menus/keyboard shortcuts and for example don't show the retro-3.1 kind of editing tooltypes (hitting "Add" for an line entry, how 1.3 is that?). You devs should have shown more love for that requester and it's functiononality...really.

How you are going to add and remove tooltypes then? RAWBInfo is not giving visual clue how to do that.

I am surprised someone is even using that dialog. When I think about it maybe icon information dialog could display file type information and preview from video. And maybe mimetype information and quick access to edit file actions.

Quote:

You know that your first screenshot isn't a 3.1 requester?

No I didnt know that. I havent used 3.1 in ten years and I always used SwazInfo instead of built-in dialog. This was the only screenshot I could find using Google image search.

Profile     Report this post  
Jupp3 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 13:37:28
#62 ]

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:

Quote:

You know that your first screenshot isn't a 3.1 requester?

No I didnt know that. I havent used 3.1 in ten years and I always used SwazInfo instead of built-in dialog. This was the only screenshot I could find using Google image search.

It's not the original but one, that many users used on 3.1 instead, as the original sucks so badly

Trixie 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 13:46:47
#63 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@Fab

Quote:
considering the poor drag'n'drop ability in Reaction, i'm not even sure it's available in 3.9/4.0, but i'll check later.

AFAIK there's no built-in drag'n'drop feature in ReAction at present.

@cha05e90
I'm afraid you're fighting a hopeless fight here. Not because you're being outnumbered but because your ammunition is insufficient. Of course Ambient is lightyears ahead of the OS4 Workbench - just do admit that and stop making us OS4 users look like a bunch of idiots.

AmigaOne X5000/020 @ 2GHz / 4GB RAM / Radeon RX 560 / ESI Juli@ / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition
SAM440ep-flex @ 667MHz / 1GB RAM / Radeon 9250 / AmigaOS 4.1 Final Edition

samo79 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 14:26:29
#64 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Good, in an ideal world we should found atleast 2 new dedicate mantainers that will be availible to work side by side with Alfkil (one for AROS and one for MorphOS maybe)

No fork, no crap, no fanboysm and so on, see how well are progressing the Magellan team,
Kas1e, Xenic, itix, BSZili etc all joined togheter in a same common target, a Magellan port for all availible platforms ...

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

Cego 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 15:04:32
#65 ]

@cha05e90

there's nothing but statements from your side, but no argumentation. You say things which are just totally lies. i dont know why you are trying to keep up all those illusions you made about how superior OS4.1 is. FYI, i'm a OS3.9 User for 12 years and a MorphOS User since 2005. I know what i'm talking about.

Maybe we should talk about design in OS4. 1 million standalone programs for various system settings, which btw, are very confusing with their dozens of sliders and buttons and their non-intuitive handling. there is absolutely no concept. a lot of stuff is just plainly taken over from OS3.9 without any modification.
The fact that there's no progress in WB and that they're even porting more and more system relevant concepts from other OS's makes OS4 very uninteresting for me.
I even think that porting Magellan to MorphOS is a waste of time. But OS4 will benefit from it for sure. But nevertheless, i'd like to know what you're thinking about all this "porting from other OS" stuff?
I mean how does it feel to power up your real thing to use your X11 environment or qt or whatever?

The interesting question here is. If we can take and implement all those stuff from other systems, why don't we take the kernel and all the other great stuff too? where's the line? why not replace everything with "better and richer" features from other platforms instead of developing and improving our own?
The truth is that OS4 devs have failed to keep up with steady development and they realized after a long time that a lot of concepts that were praised for all those years are very bad. and you just can't admit that.
In the end, the last 10 years of development were a waste of time, right? They should've started with X11 and qt from the beginning, if thats what is counting now. But for me as an dedicated Amiga user, it is very important to rely on Amiga development, when i'm using my system and yes amiga lacks a lot of stuff, but thats the compromise. That's what i'm willing to accept, if that gives me the experience to use our own system with its own concept.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 15:08:15
#66 ]
Elite Member

@samo79

I will search. I think it is possible to work together without "fanboyism" or using the typical phrases. Perhaps QT could be another project where that is possible. Areas with common interests are also web-browser and Office-Package.

Kronos 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 15:13:26
#67 ]
Elite Member

@Cego

/me hugs Cego
shushush little one.....

Last edited by Kronos on 27-Aug-2013 at 03:14 PM.

number6 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 15:17:26
#68 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
I will search. I think it is possible to work together without "fanboyism" or using the typical phrases. Perhaps QT could be another project where that is possible. Areas with common interests are also web-browser and Office-Package.

(1)register on an irc server
(2)register a channel on same server
(3)set channel to invisible, invite, whatever you want.
(4)invite the "sane" people (yep, about 3 left from each camp)
(5)form a personal mailing list for your members if desired
(6)work together
(7)produce product

Hope this helps.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 15:17:55
#69 ]
Elite Member

@Cego

I now know Magellan quiet well so Ambient sounds very familiar for me. Some users who have both said that Ambient looks more nice (based on MUI) whereas Magellan has the better functionality.

I think we should stop discussing "who is superior", "which OS is the only true amiga successor" and similar. We are all Amigans that have made different decisions regarding OS (sometimes randomly at the start) and are (mostly) happy with it. If we try to proof each other how wrong the others are and that they wasted their money we only create emotional discussions that led to nothing. No OS (including MorphOS) is perfect so we should look how we can improve the situation, create common bounties and projects instead of trying to get a small advance by keeping everything closed. I can bet with you that the discussion "Ambient vs. Workbench (or how it is called on AmigaOS)" will continue for several pages and there will be no agreement.

OlafS25 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 15:22:28
#70 ]
Elite Member

@number6

thanx for the advice

I already have a plan

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 15:49:53
#71 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

I completely agree, some many pages has been wasted on this forum.

samo79 
Posted on 27-Aug-2013 15:58:33
#72 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Yep that's the spirit

http://www.betatesting.it/backforthefuture

Sam440ep Flex 800 Mhz 1 GB Ram + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6
AmigaOne XE G3 800 Mhz - 640 MB Ram - Radeon 9200 SE + AmigaOS 4.1 Update 6

cha05e90 
Posted on 28-Aug-2013 0:55:20
#73 ]

@Trixie

I admit that Ambient is superior to Workbench (I never did the opposite, by the way, sigh).

The Ambient icon information requester still sucks. Reaction doesn't have drag'n'drop support. I still think the MorphOS icon information requester isn't very advanced. I am convinced that internal multithreading of Ambient is a fine thing and much better than AmigaOS' Workbench. But I insist on my point of view that Ambient icon information requester....ah, nevermind. I hope those who may be concerned got my point.

Ok?

Last edited by cha05e90 on 28-Aug-2013 at 12:57 AM.
Last edited by cha05e90 on 28-Aug-2013 at 12:56 AM.

cha05e90 
Posted on 28-Aug-2013 0:59:18
#74 ]

@Kronos

Thanks for hugging Cego, we all need more attention...

@Cego

Quote:
FYI, i'm a OS3.9 User for 12 years and a MorphOS

Ha, I overead that at the first glance. Then you can look for yourself and report which of the icon information requesters...

Last edited by cha05e90 on 28-Aug-2013 at 01:05 AM.

Cego 
Posted on 28-Aug-2013 1:35:34
#75 ]

@cha05e90

ok, i overreacted a lil bit, sorry for that. but the argumentation is still valid. i really don't see the point where MorphOS lacks, when i compare it to OS3.9. The icon information is just as feature rich as the one from wb 3.9. And it has some more nice features like drag and drop between tooltype entries and md5 check.
You can disable a tooltype by doubleclicking it, which is not possible on 3.9 afair. doubleclicking would only highlight the text. but really tooltype functionality is by far not the critical concern you should have when you judge a system. It does what it should and it is by far good enough.
a modern system settings concept or a Desktop Browser/Filer is by far more important then 2 or 3 features in an icon information window.

Ambient gives me so much flexibility. f.e temporary bookmarks functions, which lets me work in a very efficient way, when i have to access and exchnge files between directories for a specific reason until next reboot. or make them permanent, like adding mplayer to my bookmarks list.

Then you have such nice features like mime-types. You can hide your ambient windows (all if you want) and make em visible via menu or hotkey. you can access all your windows and screens by rightclicking the depth gadget. You can customize all of your menus and add set global file and directory actions to your menus, like zip, lha, rar, runinuae,... it is highly customizable. all things which are missing Workbench of OS3.9 and OS4.1 (afais).

gonegahgah 
Posted on 28-Aug-2013 1:40:06
#76 ]

@itix

Quote:
There is MUIM_Application_Execute method. So instead of usual MUIM_Application_NewInput and Wait() combo you just call this method to process events.

Sounds similar to what I did. That is hide the Wait().
It still happens but the coder doesn't have to concern themselves with it.

But, that does make me realise I should probably take 'Events' out of my command.
Execute and Run as a library command sound too much like something to do with DOS so I won't use them.
Execute does sound fine in the MOS context though.

Hmmm, I might go with Perform() and see how that travels over time?
Doesn't seem to have any misleading connotations.

Last edited by gonegahgah on 28-Aug-2013 at 01:42 AM.
Last edited by gonegahgah on 28-Aug-2013 at 01:41 AM.

OlafS25 
Posted on 28-Aug-2013 9:56:09
#77 ]
Elite Member

@Cego

Certainly is Ambient the most advanced standard (preinstalled) desktop on all NG OSs. But Magellan will make that advance very small when used as desktop (and not as file manager). More important for me is availability of software and compatibility. It is a great PPC OS and perhaps (I cannot judge that) in some areas more advanced than AmigaOS. But this kind of discussion ("xxx is better than yours") leads to nothing. In the last over 2 years (when I started again) there were countless discussions with phrases like "AmigaOS is the only true Amiga successor", "MorphOS is better than AmigaOS", "AROS is not progressing in the last 10 years and lags years behind". These discussions propably never motivated people to change platform (or even try it) but mostly escalated and often led to insulting. So instead on discussing just "why we are better" we should concentrate on what we have in common and how we can improve the situation for all of us and help each other. What projects could we do together, what is missing on the different platforms and where could we have common bounties. I do not have high hopes that the OS teams sit on one table (partly because of emotional reasons, partly because there are already too many differences between AROS, MorphOS and AmigaOS) but at least people outside (developers and users) should have a common interest. We need modern web-browsing, office, GUI-Toolkit (that is identical on all platforms), modern cross-platform development environments (with cross-platform I mean the amiga-platforms). And when we discuss differences we should not use "XXX is better than yours" but how we can add that good solution to other platforms. Magellan here is a great chance (regarding Desktop) because it is opensource. Why not identifiy good solutions and add them to Magellan (if not yet possible). By this all camps would benefit. It could be done by a kind of "Magellan-Update bounty". What do you think? (Long text ).

Tomppeli 
Posted on 28-Aug-2013 16:30:17
#78 ]

@Cego

You listed quite some which are not missing from AmigaOS4.1.

Also you MOS people speak a lot of mime types. Speaking stricktly, do you mean mime types as the original definition for email or do you rather mean file types and related functions to those ?

itix 
Posted on 28-Aug-2013 17:12:35
#79 ]
Elite Member

@Tomppeli

File types. See MIME Media Types.

Develin 
Posted on 28-Aug-2013 17:47:57
#80 ]

I really tried to fancy ClassAct/ReAction programming but after I tried MUI instead I cannot understand why the hell anyone whould like to use RA regardless if it's official framework or not. And when it comes to QT... I can say that my examwork was based on that and after that I never touch it ever again =)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle