Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 80 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Hammer

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Hammer:  4 secs ago
 belovedbroth:  1 hr 46 mins ago
 pixie:  4 hrs 13 mins ago
 eliyahu:  4 hrs 50 mins ago
 amigakit:  5 hrs 54 mins ago
 Karlos:  6 hrs 39 mins ago
 gryfon:  6 hrs 50 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  7 hrs 18 mins ago
 Yssing:  7 hrs 34 mins ago
 t0lkien:  7 hrs 39 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  roberto sez in IRC: "amiga" linux it is!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Nameless 
Re: roberto sez in IRC: "amiga" linux it is!
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 0:34:19
#81 ]

@RobertJDohnert

A couple of simple questions which I have not seen answers to here:

What does OS4 OpenLinux 13.5 have to do with any current flavor of Amiga OS, or the original Amiga? Are you using an Amiga-like desktop environment? Besides the term 'OS 4', is there anything to it in common with any Amiga-like OS?

Making a hosted AROS version on top of Linux is fine (and has been done), but do you plan to make any actual money from it? If so... how?

Nobody really needs to buy Linux, as there are a million flavors for free. Aros is free. And nobody will pay a fortune for rebranded hardware, as it's easy enough to buy it at retail (or cheaper) prices and just install whatever a person wants on it.

So... I am curious what your business plan actually is, as I see no feasible way to make real money from this.

Profile     Report this post  
jingof 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 9:55:22
#82 ]

@RobertJDohnert

One of the great ironies of the Amiga community is, if you say, "Hello, I'd like to join the Amiga community, but I'm going to sit on my a** and chew popcorn"... people welcome you with open arms.

But, if you say, "Hello, I'd like to be a contributor to this community, AND do something constructive, maybe even make a product..." many in the community will positively assault you for those blasphemous words. Given this welcome, you'd think we don't need creative, competent people, with enough confidence to state their intentions.

In the end, one thing matters. Ship product! That should shut them up! Unfortunately, most of them will just find something else to complain about, with your prices or technical choices or something. I'm sure AEON and Hyperion can attest to that.

My advice, if you were asking for it, would be to follow the precedents of AEON and Hyperion:

1. choose your Amiga community advisers well
2. tune out the noise that is the jaded, history-burdened Amiga community
3. focus on execution

We'll all respect that... eventually.

Best of luck! And welcome! I'm really hoping you make them all eat their words

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 9:57:00
#83 ]

I think the most important outcome, that resulted from Roberto's actions, is to expose the zero value of the Amiga trademark. I am shocked and amazed that this isn't the main topic of discussion. Guys, he painted a boing ball blue, renamed his linux distro adding the word Amiga, announced it to the forums, held IRC sessions, written it at his company's blog and is about to start reselling CyberNet's AIO systems (me emphasizing at the AIO form factor and him partnering it with the Amiga nostalgic image of course), in just about a couple of hours, LOL. If we take into perspective the minimal amount of money that Amiga Inc. asked regarding licensing then we have a more "official" declaration of death. And here i am, thinking about how many times I 've read about the importance of marketing your "amiga" product with the relative "amiga" logo (from companies and customers alike), how many millions does it take to build a trademark (and I am quoting Mr. Hermans words a couple of years ago). In 2013 everyone can claim the Amiga logos/trademark for themselves and if they are not so courageous in order to involve lawyers, they can get in touch with Amiga Inc. where license negotiations start from just 600 USD / month + 5% annual turnover (of course both figures can get lowered down pretty easy, me thinks). Now, after several days from what Roberto started and the silence from Amiga related companies is truly shattering. At least Amiga community looks more mature than ever, imho, since people here mostly have fun with the guy rather than getting angry (well, apart a few exceptions ofc :P)

Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 02-Jul-2013 at 10:01 AM.
Last edited by Cool_amigaN on 02-Jul-2013 at 10:00 AM.

jingof 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 10:07:28
#84 ]

@eliyahu

Quote:
the business roberto runs, PC-opensystems, has five employees currently, all of whom have executive titles: CEO, COO, CTO, V.P. of product development, etc

Quote:
the two it sounds like they're trying to seem bigger than they really are -- something which really reminds me of CUSA

Being a small company is expected... just realistic. No global conglomerate is going to care about Amiga. And we all saw how well even a medium sized company (i.e. Gateway) worked out for us.

AEON, on the other hand, is another small company, with about 5 people, that did a lot more positive for Amiga than Gateway ever thought about doing. So, a small, focused team that isn't going to get wrapped around the axel over politics and second guessing this tiny market -- I read that as an advantage.

Kronos 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 11:42:25
#85 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

Quote:

jingof wrote:

But, if you say, "Hello, I'd like to be a contributor to this community, AND do something constructive, maybe even make a product..."

But that ain't what Robert did, more like:

Steal some trademarks, slap them on 100% unrelated overpriced and substandard products and then garnish it with some pie-in-the-sky promises .....

And he still got a good deal of this community cheering him !!

vox 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 12:00:03
#86 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
I think the most important outcome, that resulted from Roberto's actions, is to expose the zero value of the Amiga trademark. I am shocked and amazed that this isn't the main topic of discussion. Guys, he painted a boing ball blue, renamed his linux distro adding the word Amiga, announced it to the forums, held IRC sessions, written it at his company's blog and is about to start reselling CyberNet's AIO systems (me emphasizing at the AIO form factor and him partnering it with the Amiga nostalgic image of course), in just about a couple of hours, LOL.

Well, looks like C-USA without license, but again, let them prove themselves on given promises, which are not bad at all. If anyone should sue them on name/logo issuess that is Hyperion and Amiga Inc and they have been so far silent on the case.

Agreed, communication was more testing, but yet how much would be a personal gain from this Amiga-Linux and how much would it contribute back in open source, remains to be seen. Frequent name change (PC/OS,OS4,Amiga OpenLinux) is no good for OS identity.

NutsAboutAmiga 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 12:21:32
#87 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

I think part of the problem is that many in this community are not technical; they don't understand what the few people are technical and understand, some people just want something but they do not understand what it takes to get there. So they are willing to accept things whit out question, as long as some seem convincing.

And some people want to give people a benefit of a doubt before judging.

The problem I have hit this is that he promises so many things, he has not produced anything for this community, he has no former record pointing to any software has produced for this community, I really don't trust him.

And then he bring the name "Amiga" into Linux distribution to top it all off, does he not know what this brand means to history of classic Commodore Amiga computers, and current AmigaOS community, he is making the same mistakes a CUSA, are maybe he does it to provoke I really don't know.

And presently I see little value in what he has to offer, we have Linux for AmigaONE-X1000 and PC's way do we want this one, and why should this Linux distribution be any better then CommodoreOS?

I tried a lots of Linux distribution and I always end up whit most popular ones, because often the less known distribution often lack software packages to install, and you can't take one from different distribution because they are soft linked whit different versions of the libraries and sometime have different dependencies. I'm going to stick to Ubuntu, Debain, I liked RedHat but now they are 100% commercial, and compared to other distributions too expensive.

Anyway I'm here because of AmigaOS, not because of Linux, nothing can change that.

Last edited by NutsAboutAmiga on 02-Jul-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 12:23:57
#88 ]
Elite Member

@NutsAboutAmiga

I don't think you have to be "technical" to see this fraud for what it is.

More about how gullible you are or are not.

Last edited by Kronos on 02-Jul-2013 at 12:24 PM.

Overflow 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 14:32:21
#89 ]

@Kronos

Dont think many falls for much around here, even if the tone more "positive" amongst some.

Its more; let x person prove himself without being constantly harassed and trashtalked.
If that person comes thru, all the better. If its just all vaporware then we can just shrug it off.

A while back I took some time google aeon and x1000 just to see what was said, and
people were not overly kind. He/Aeon came thru in the end with his vision, regardless
what some might think of the end product.

Im more of the "give people a chance to fail/succeed before crucifying them" type.
Doesnt mean im gullable and easily scammed, cause being "polite" doesnt cost you any money.

Last edited by Overflow on 02-Jul-2013 at 02:33 PM.
Last edited by Overflow on 02-Jul-2013 at 02:33 PM.

number6 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 15:19:19
#90 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

Nice post.

Quote:
Quote:
In the end, one thing matters. Ship product!

Also expressed as the difference between words and deeds, talk vs action, or Yo's "achievements". Recurring theme for sure. Big time.

mbrantley 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 15:34:19
#91 ]
Cult Member

Unless it's Linux (barely warmed over) with an Amiga badge. Please DON'T ship that product.

number6 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 15:34:46
#92 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Interesting to note:

also being discussed on Amigans.net

Rob 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 16:03:24
#93 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

Quote:
I don't think you have to be "technical" to see this fraud for what it is.

With his "planned contributions" you can see that he's fairly clueless about the technical side of things.
Using Aros hosted in Linux the run legacy Amiga apps. Does he realise that you still need UAE for that and it would be quicker to run the emulation directly on Linux.

jorkany 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 16:24:52
#94 ]
Cult Member

@Rob
Quote:

With his "planned contributions" you can see that he's fairly clueless about the technical side of things.
Using Aros hosted in Linux the run legacy Amiga apps. Does he realise that you still need UAE for that and it would be quicker to run the emulation directly on Linux.

Maybe you just aren't enough of a visionary, Rob.

number6 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 17:12:03
#95 ]
Elite Member

@thread

For those interested in reviewing how we treated a July visitor -last- year, for camp consistency response, company approach, results, etc. A lot of replies for this one too, so not a bad comparison:

Would you support a company that decided to support Amiga?

Yeah. Slow day.
If you wish to respond to how others have fared on AW, I'd suggest starting a dedicated thread for that purpose though. Then we can all add links to the wondrous attempts and the even more wondrous results of the attempts. Who knows? Someone might actually learn something. Stranger things have happened.

OlafS25 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 17:18:30
#96 ]
Elite Member

@number6

that is a really bad bad example

Was it not the guy who claimed to have "rewritten" AROS to run on Coldfire, when asked refused to show something of his "rewritten" code, then insulted the AROS devs and then (after his alter ego suddenly appeared saying what a great guy he is) suddenly vanished. Ah and I forgot he cannot sohw it because it is secret (propably NSA ). He then went to the Atari camp, nerved them too for a couple of days and then he was never seen again. Do you mean that person?

I think people should not promise unrealistic things and actually contribute something then people will believe them.

wawa 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 17:24:48
#97 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

he went to atari camp?

OlafS25 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 17:27:12
#98 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Yes but only for a couple of days before he finally never was seen again.

http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23719&sid=d1ee84e359cbc8a13c5b9cab8751bb61

number6 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 17:32:11
#99 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

I know. I'm slow....

Quote:
Approaching the community with grand claims, without first even contacting hardware manufacturers, IP holders, developers and OS development leads, is amateurish at best, bull5hit artist at wost, and as you see a sure-fire way to pi55 people off.

Lets see now. Trevor wrote about him for about a year so you're not talking about the A-Eon/Acube side?
And you know that IP holders have not been contacted because?
And you know that in particular Amiga OS development was not contacted because?

I'm sorry, but I seriously am NOT getting this one. Where are your facts coming from?

Rob 
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 18:08:41
#100 ]
Elite Member

@number6

Quote:
For those interested in reviewing how we treated a July visitor -last- year, for camp consistency response, company approach, results, etc. A lot of replies for this one too, so not a bad comparison:

If they are genuine they'll take it on the chin and eventually deliver i.e. Dennis Van Weeren and if it's all pie in the sky bs then they'll get all upset and ragequit i.e Proost Software.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle