Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
19 crawler(s) on-line.
 127 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 bhabbott:  10 mins ago
 Musashi5150:  19 mins ago
 Swisso:  36 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  37 mins ago
 Hypex:  38 mins ago
 VooDoo:  54 mins ago
 agami:  55 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 26 mins ago
 ed:  3 hrs 10 mins ago
 matthey:  3 hrs 38 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  roberto sez in IRC: "amiga" linux it is!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
PosterThread
vox 
Re: roberto sez in IRC: "amiga" linux it is!
Posted on 4-Jul-2013 19:41:51
#121 ]
Elite Member

@wawa

Quote:
wrong (again): http://www.aeros-os.org/ check out indie-go.

Thanks for correction. Somehow I do see AEROS as expansion of AROS to run Linux apps, but in fact it is Linux with AROS on top. OK, so now they do kind of compete.

Profile     Report this post  
phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 4-Jul-2013 19:47:17
#122 ]

@vox
yes and no. Yes AEROS is AROS on top of Linux.. no there is no competition : )
They use AROS hosted as application. I use it as desktop environment. Still a small difference.

vox 
Posted on 4-Jul-2013 19:58:12
#123 ]
Elite Member

@phoenixkonsole

Quote:
yes and no. Yes AEROS is AROS on top of Linux.. no there is no competition : ) They use AROS hosted as application. I use it as desktop environment. Still a small difference.

AresOne line:
- Does include few more Amiga software licenses and Amiga Forever
- Does share profit with AROS Community
- Does improve AROS with additional functionality
- Soon will have a PPC Line too
- Additionally to AROS, the AresOne can be pre-installed with Debian GNU/Linux, Ubuntu or Windows, if you wish.
- Gives good value / money

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 9-Jul-2013 2:21:00
#124 ]

@vox

Quote:
- Does include few more Amiga software licenses and Amiga Forever

Actually, not entirely accurate.

Quote:
Does share profit with AROS Community

And we wont? Profit sharing is a non-issue for us because it is in our fabric. We still give donations to XFCE even though we stopped using XFCE's main branch months ago and are striking out on our own. We gave donations AND equipment to Remastersys, which we have taken over after that application developer decided he wanted to quit. We regularly shared technology, helped with development and made donations to DreamLinux and took over the DreamLinux project after they folded. We are a community company, we help out our citizens and people who help out a lot. We often share donations to the OS4 OpenLinux project, with outside developers as well and our contributers. No one else does that.

Quote:
Does improve AROS with additional functionality

A non issue, again. Since we are offering it as a by default feature, improvements will be shared and developed for AROS on the hosted level, we guage our customers and users. If AROS gets popular enough that people want it as the default OS then obviously we will work on native drivers with the AROS team and with ACER.

Quote:
Soon will have a PPC Line too

And since licensees cannot ship an "Amiga" like operating system, Trevor possibly cant ship AEROS as a default Linux distribution software, with OS4 PowerLinux he can since Hosted AROS wont be shipped with OS4 PowerLinux hence removes the "Amiga" like OS problem.

Quote:
Additionally to AROS, the AresOne can be pre-installed with Debian GNU/Linux, Ubuntu or Windows, if you wish.

Users are free to install whatever OS they want on their systems, additionally they can purchase systems from us with NO operating system. Although we do ship the systems with a copy of OS4 OpenLinux on a USB key so they can test hardware etc. Ares computers is free to ship OS4 OpenLinux as well on their systems freely if they so wish or desire, we dont charge per copy for OS4 OpenLinux. OS4 Enterprise Linux we charge $10.00 USD per unit to system integrators

Quote:
Gives good value / money

So far our customers think we are a good value for their money. So I guess it depends on who and what someone is complaining about before you start determining if something is good for your money. AEROS is nice, I actually looked at it and was impressed with it. Kudos to them. But with us, we offer a lot more in terms of software and hardware integration. Plus, we are a US company, 99.9 of our system shipments are to the US, Canada and to South America, Puerto Rico, etc. I have shipped 2 systems to Australia. and a couple to Europe, we sell a lot more of the USB keys to England, Germany etc than systems.

PS. We have actually started promoting the AROS inclusion in some of our adverts as well, these will be going live as we pull closer to the 13.6 release date.

http://www.os4online.com/2013/07/coming-soon.html

Last edited by RobertJDohnert on 09-Jul-2013 at 02:26 AM.

pavlor 
Posted on 9-Jul-2013 7:25:48
#125 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
And since licensees cannot ship an "Amiga" like operating system, Trevor possibly cant ship AEROS as a default Linux distribution software

Trevor actualy produces computers with Amiga-like system (AmigaOS itself...). Hosted AROS as part of pre-installed Linux is probably possible on these computers - depending on terms of agreement between A-Eon and Hyperion. Trevor has licence from Hyperion, limitations imposed on Amiga.Inc by the Settlement Agreement aren´t relevant there.

OlafS25 
Posted on 9-Jul-2013 10:00:12
#126 ]
Elite Member

@pavlor

From nightly builds:
"linux-ppc-system

The hosted version for Linux/PowerPC. This archive contains all AROS system binaries, compiled from the Subversion tree."

If he wants he can do it

Last edited by OlafS25 on 09-Jul-2013 at 10:44 AM.

wawa 
Posted on 9-Jul-2013 10:54:11
#127 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

okay, if you are serious about it go on by all means. out of curiosity whom of aros devs have you contacted?
do you know that there are actually two versions of arosx86, the current consumer version (v0) and the new version that is being worked on (v1). v0 will be eventually replaced by v1, which means binary compatibility breakage at this point. i think it would be sensible to support aros to reach this point as soon as possible, and start to seriously distribute it from there on.

here is the aros developer mailing list for info on details;
https://www.hepe.com/mailman/listinfo/aros-dev/

vox 
Posted on 9-Jul-2013 14:50:36
#128 ]
Elite Member

@RobertJDohnert

Quote:
Does include few more Amiga software licenses and Amiga Forever Actually, not entirely accurate.

FryingPan, AMC multimedia player and Gemz Game. ArtEffect is also mentioned to be included.
Its not expensive software, but yet it is included. As well as Amiga Forever OEM
with legal kickstart files.

Quote:
And we wont? Profit sharing is a non-issue for us because it is in our fabric. We still give donations to XFCE even though we stopped using XFCE's main branch months ago and are striking out on our own. We gave donations AND equipment to Remastersys, which we have taken over after that application developer decided he wanted to quit. We regularly shared technology, helped with development and made donations to DreamLinux and took over the DreamLinux project after they folded. We are a community company, we help out our citizens and people who help out a lot. We often share donations to the OS4 OpenLinux project, with outside developers as well and our contributers. No one else does that.

Very nice, remains to be seen. But if you dont understand how devoted AresOne system is to AROS

Quote:
With each sale a part goes back (at least 25% of the profits - Applies to our entire store offer) to the Development of AROS (Bounties, Icaros, hosting, etc.)

Quote:
So far our customers think we are a good value for their money. So I guess it depends on who and what someone is complaining about before you start determining if something is good for your money. AEROS is nice, I actually looked at it and was impressed with it. Kudos to them. But with us, we offer a lot more in terms of software and hardware integration. Plus, we are a US company, 99.9 of our system shipments are to the US, Canada and to South America, Puerto Rico, etc. I have shipped 2 systems to Australia. and a couple to Europe, we sell a lot more of the USB keys to England, Germany etc than systems. PS. We have actually started promoting the AROS inclusion in some of our adverts as well, these will be going live as we pull closer to the 13.6 release date.

Surely, but somehow your hardware store looks extremely expensive compared to prices of same systems on Amazon, for example. Better focus on just selling OS and matching it to lowest possible cost of hardware + your OS fee. Good luck on large x86 market!

number6 
Posted on 12-Aug-2014 17:49:36
#129 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

Quote:
I think the most important outcome, that resulted from Roberto's actions, is to expose the zero value of the Amiga trademark. I am shocked and amazed that this isn't the main topic of discussion. Guys, he painted a boing ball blue, renamed his linux distro adding the word Amiga, announced it to the forums,

Lessee now...xeno74 has done something similar, right?

His website is even called "AmigaLinux.org"

Source

He's announced things in forums, no?

Blue boing ball...check
Though perhaps it's just a sphere, then again wasn't that mentioned before too?

He's also used the term "open source" in rather large lettering.

I've been observing the "outcry" to these similar actions for months...none.

Given the above references, are you sure this is about what a person does, as opposed to who a person is?

I'm not taking a side here and I hope you understand I'm not singling out your post, since so many responded in similar fashion. I'm just trying to be somewhat logical, and the similarity in the examples seems glaring.

@xeno74

I admire all that you have done. Please understand that without mentioning examples, I doubt anyone would bother to compare what I view as similarities and give this post much thought. I watched moderator zerohero fight about the difference in how people are treated for years, and it's still a sore point for me.

broadblues 
Posted on 12-Aug-2014 18:26:52
#130 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@number6

His logo at your source seems to be tux on a X1000 marked disk. But he does have a A-EON blue boing ball based avatar at amigans at the moment.

However the context is clearly different, he's no interloper renaming a brand of linus as amiga for obviously predatory / trouble making reasons ,rather a member of the team porting linuxes to amiga related hardware with the blessing of the hardware manufacturers.

A pedant might suggest his domain should be amigaonelinux maybe but perhaps he plans to expand to other amiga related hardware.

Last edited by broadblues on 12-Aug-2014 at 06:30 PM.

RobertJDohnert 
Posted on 12-Aug-2014 19:27:35
#131 ]

@broadblues

First of all, the logo that he uses and the ones that we use are two completey different logos. They are visibly different and it doesnt matter.

Anyone who says we came into this space to be "predatory" or "trouble making" A) Dont know what it is we wanted to do and B) Have no earthly idea what they are talking about. If I wanted to be a jerk and "predatory" I would have just done it anyway because Amiga Inc and Hyperion are toothless, there is not a thing they could have done about it except gripe and complain. We didnt name our product Amiga because of one reason and one reason only, the community. We had enough feedback from reasonable people in the community who told us that its not beneficial to us or the Amiga community and we listened. Its that simple.

Are we still doing Amiga related technologies? Of course we are. We still work with the emulation technologies, we still have a PowerPC port for older macs and because we were able to obtain SAM's we have started working on a port to the SAM 460. The X1000 and Trevors upcoming hardware if we see a inherent value from putting our distribution on it we will do it. Trevor and company seem happy with Ubuntu, for them it works and I know enough X1000 owners who are testing our Experience Pack to make sure it works for them. But, I've slapped enough stickers and linux on PC's that Im actually pretty happy with where Im at today.

terminills 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 1:57:15
#132 ]
AROS Core Developer

@broadblues

He's porting to an Amigaone NOT an Amiga. The reason you are okay with it seems to be based on the fact that you view Amigaone and Amiga as interchangeable(they are not btw). Amiga in it's current form is merely a shell company which is either bankrupt or going bankrupt not a machine. The last Amiga was a relabeled Zotac machine(X86 btw) after that there was nothing. Before that there was the A4000T.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

broadblues 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 2:24:22
#133 ]
Amiga Developer Team

@terminills

Based on the wording of my post that you are replying to, I'll take it you are applying for the post of pedant

I would view amigaones as a subset of the set of amigas, you would likely not, there no point in redoing that argument, we'll have to agree to differ.

terminills 
Posted on 13-Aug-2014 2:32:43
#134 ]
AROS Core Developer

@broadblues

I could reply with what I think you're applying for but that would be rude. :)

I will say you are correct we shall agree to disagree.

"AROS is prolly illegal ~ Evert Carton" intentionally quoted out of context for dramatic effect

number6 
Posted on 14-Aug-2014 16:37:31
#135 ]
Elite Member

@broadblues

Quote:
But he does have a A-EON blue boing ball based avatar at amigans at the moment.

It's a bit more prevalent on amiga.org, beween the avatar and the picture:

Source

Ditto for Amigaworld, at least picturewise:

Source

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle