Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 76 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 pixie:  2 hrs 10 mins ago
 eliyahu:  2 hrs 47 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 51 mins ago
 Karlos:  4 hrs 37 mins ago
 gryfon:  4 hrs 48 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  5 hrs 15 mins ago
 Yssing:  5 hrs 31 mins ago
 t0lkien:  5 hrs 36 mins ago
 sibbi:  6 hrs 39 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  6 hrs 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  roberto sez in IRC: "amiga" linux it is!
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Boot_WB 
Re: roberto sez in IRC: "amiga" linux it is!
Posted on 2-Jul-2013 20:00:32
#101 ]

@number6

Quote:

number6 wrote:
@Boot_WB

I know. I'm slow....

Quote:
Approaching the community with grand claims, without first even contacting hardware manufacturers, IP holders, developers and OS development leads, is amateurish at best, bull5hit artist at wost, and as you see a sure-fire way to pi55 people off.

Lets see now. Trevor wrote about him for about a year so you're not talking about the A-Eon/Acube side?
And you know that IP holders have not been contacted because?
And you know that in particular Amiga OS development was not contacted because?

I'm sorry, but I seriously am NOT getting this one. Where are your facts coming from?

I appreciate the phrasing of your questions.

On reflection you are correct in many aspects that I am jumping to conclusions, perhaps prematurely.

Tha lack of contact with IP holders prior to contacting the community was evidenced by Roberto's own words (Amiga Inc). From the lack of any type of license subsequent to contacting them I have inferred that they haven't bought into the plan, but could be wrong on that.

From the lack of any mention of Acube systems I have inferred they have either not had any meaningful contact with ACube, or their approaches have been spurned.

From the "We will be shipping AmigaOS systems once we're authorized to do so" statement I infer that they do not yet have reseller status from either ACube or AEon. The lack of even an agreement to sell their retail products does not suggest that any serious conversation about collaboration and development has taken place.

I have no reasonable source from which to conclude that they have not contacted AmigaOS developers. Hyperion may be overjoyed by OS4 Linux renaming itself Amiga Linux, however that does not seem likely (Hell, if there was a whiff of respectability about it BH would have announced a strategic partnership by now).

I have also inferred from the -rather large - to-do list that they haven't contacted existing developers working on those components.

Apologies for misrepresenting these conclusions I'd drawn mainly from inference rather than solid facts.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 02-Jul-2013 at 08:03 PM.

Profile     Report this post  
jingof 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 2:40:55
#102 ]

@Kronos

Quote:
But that ain't what Robert did, more like:

Steal some trademarks, slap them on 100% unrelated overpriced and substandard products and then garnish it with some pie-in-the-sky promises .....

And he still got a good deal of this community cheering him !!

Yeah.. anyone, with whom you disagree, or see things differently, must be either a a crook, a charlatan, or a snake oil salesman.

Benefit of the doubt, and giving someone a chance to finish doing their own due diligence before rushing to judgement... that's just for gullible idiots, right?

private_apocalypse 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 4:53:56
#103 ]

Quote:
by vox on 1-Jul-2013 9:09:42
And message to community has survived somehow
http://www.os4online.com/2013/06/a-message-to-amiga-community.html

Ah, spoke too soon.

I have been an occasional reader over the years. I guess that makes me a lurker, though some may regard this as trolling, but I can't see this Amiga OpenLinux matter as anything other than a farce begging for sanity. I'd be more than happy to be proven wrong. I'm not sure whether to regard this repeat of history as a wolf in sheep's clothing, or a sheep in wolf's clothing.

I wish I were an eccentric millionaire who had money to donate towards acquiring Amiga IP, but I'm not and I don't. I would love to see a vibrant Amiga ecosystem with more available software (as an aside, I also happen to be someone who is of the opinion that AmigaOS should move to other architectures), but this latest episode is not a step in that direction, or in any direction really; this strikes me as nostalgia pimping. Taking a Voisin hood ornament and putting it on an overpriced Prius changes the nature of neither.

Color me cynical, but I am of the impression that Mr Dohnert likes to subsume perceived soft targets with sweet nothings and promises of carrying on the torch, for the sake of promoting his business.
http://www.os4online.com/2013/04/forking-remastersys-and-state-of-os4.html *
http://www.os4online.com/2012/10/dreamlinux-and-os4.html *

I think this will bring no one anything they didn't already have, including bad memories.
http://www.os4online.com/2013/05/os4-openlinux-135-dedication.html *

Quote:
by Boot_WB on 1-Jul-2013 9:30:51
There was an opportunity here to be a unifying party in the Amigaland chronicles, gaining the rights to 'Amiga' branding (either through CUSA or Amiga Inc) and offering equal use of it to AmigaOS, AROS and MorphOS.

Perhaps, but I don't think that was ever what this was about. This appears to be about #6 (no, not that number6, but instead #6 at http://www.os4online.com/2013/05/misconceptions-about-os4-part-2.html *). (Tangentially, I had never heard the OS4-related part of #7.)

If anyone is interested in Amiga OS4 Vision OpenLinux, perhaps they might also be interested in my Sega PlayStation Game Boy that I'll be bringing to market. My goal is to bring gamers three times as many bits. As what, you may ask? Exactly.

* In the interest of thoroughness, I have saved copies of the above linked web pages should they disappear and your favorite web search engine doesn't have a web cache of them.

PS I apologize if my post is seen as being disruptive, but I felt I had to say something. Even if Mr Dohnert's intentions are good, I don't think this can lead to anything of real substance. It all seems so very crystal clear already, without needing to expend any more time and attention in traveling any further down this road.

To whatever end, I do give credit to Mr Dohnert for determination. I wish him success in his other business endeavors. May money rain from the sky on us all and no one live in apprehension of not being able to cover their material obligations and necessities.

klx300r 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 5:24:22
#104 ]
Elite Member

@private_apocalypse

, well whatever happens from AmigaOpenLinux or whatever it's called at least it got you to come here and join us crazy Amiga nuts

mancave-ramblings
X1000 I BELIEVE

Boot_WB 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 10:25:22
#105 ]

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:
@eliyahu

With best wishes that man does what he promised,
distro watch ranks it 15th
http://distrowatch.com/dwres.php?resource=popularity
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=os4

"[Distrowatch rankings] ...correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more."

Number 14 now, although pagehits have been going down over the last few months. I guess OS4 could use is some controversy to increase the number of pagehits, keep up those rankings.

EDIT: space req'd before closing quote tag.

Last edited by Boot_WB on 03-Jul-2013 at 10:36 AM.

Rob 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 10:33:58
#106 ]
Elite Member

@jingof

Kronos is usually pretty much spot.

vox 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 10:46:16
#107 ]
Elite Member

@Boot_WB

Quote:
"[Distrowatch rankings] ...correlate neither to usage nor to quality and should not be used to measure the market share of distributions. They simply show the number of times a distribution page on DistroWatch.com was accessed each day, nothing more." Number 14 now, although pagehits have been going down over the last few months. I guess OS4 could use is some controversy to increase the number of pagehits, keep up those rankings.

True its just a measure of local (DW) popularity, but since its central info base for Linuxes shows at least interest (or controversy). So C=OS used to go very popular when heavily promoted, but that would blend in next months.

eliyahu 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 21:58:59
#108 ]

@thread

it would appear the logo for OS4 openlinux -- or whatever roberto is calling it today -- has changed. again. you might also like to know his views on AROS. which are very positive:

Quote:
Since AROS works as a Linux application it runs in its own process. Now you can run all your Amiga 680x0 and PPC Amiga programs on OS4 OpenLinux. And because OS4 OpenLinux has an interface thats just as easy to use as an Amiga, those users will feel right at home.

-- eliyahu

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 22:18:21
#109 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

sounds like he has no clue..

damocles 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 22:34:17
#110 ]

@wawa

Quote:
sounds like he has no clue..

I wouldn't say that.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 22:47:42
#111 ]
Elite Member

@eliyahu

it is positive but wrong. He seems to run "Linux-hosted" X86 that runs as a application and does not need a virtual machine. But it cannot run 68k or PPC but only X86 compiled AROS applications, not more not less. If you want to run 68k software you need emulation or install AROS 68k on real hardware. Of course it does not run PPC software and in any case it would need AROS software compiled for PPC (the same would be the case for ARM). You always need software that is compiled for the target. It would be nice if AROS would really be that good but it is not the case.

blizz1220 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 23:10:46
#112 ]

@OlafS25

There are plenty of people around who can develop and recompile
software ... I don't think it's a show stopper ...

If this works out that is , if not there will be no point ...

EDIT : And JanusUAE is doing pretty nice job with running
68k software as it is ... And 90 % of sw is 68k anyway ...

Last edited by blizz1220 on 03-Jul-2013 at 11:15 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 23:14:37
#113 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

Quote:
I wouldn't say that.

it looks like he assumes aros runs binaries platform independently. evidently he had only a quick look and expect aros to be something like belxjanders polymorph. his ignorance really puzzles me.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 23:16:37
#114 ]
Elite Member

@blizz1220

the text description sounds like you could run PPC, 68k and X86 just with integrating Linux hosted but that does not work. Even if you have PPC compiled AROS software it only runs on PPC hardware, not on X86. There is not a kind of super-vm behind it that translates f.e. PPC or 68k to X86. 68k needs UAE.

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 23:19:39
#115 ]
Elite Member

@blizz1220

JanusUAE and Amibridge is indeed nice (example Icaros) but the screenshot obviously is a nightly build. Nice Marketing texts are good but it should be realistic. He should ask people who use AROS or invest some time reading and testing.

blizz1220 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 23:23:16
#116 ]

@OlafS25

Yes , I think he's aware of that ... He claims to be a coder ...

As I said , developed and cross-compiled ...

And JanusUAE is almost invisible to the user these days ...

OlafS25 
Posted on 3-Jul-2013 23:30:14
#117 ]
Elite Member

@blizz1220

I was just informed that he uses JanusUAE with ROM Replacement. Then indeed it can run 68k software (and X86). Not PPC of course.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 03-Jul-2013 at 11:31 PM.

vox 
Posted on 4-Jul-2013 18:32:35
#118 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

Quote:
I was just informed that he uses JanusUAE with ROM Replacement. Then indeed it can run 68k software (and X86). Not PPC of course.

As expected. So his PPC Amiga software line was an unlucky error ...

But AROS / Janus / AROS replacement ROM integration makes it a bit more
then "Amiga" Linux, it becomes "Amiga" Linux that can ran AmigaOS 3 software
and up to CD32 games out of box. Surely, AmigaOS 4 and MorphOS are also able to do that,
as well as anyone that can set up any version of UAE. But no yet no one so far integrated AROS with its OS to use it as some kind of advanced Amiga emulation box and presented it as its OS feature.

Last edited by vox on 04-Jul-2013 at 06:47 PM.

wawa 
Posted on 4-Jul-2013 18:57:47
#119 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:
But no yet no one so far integrated AROS with its OS to use it as some kind of advanced Amiga emulation box and presented it as its OS feature.

wrong (again):
http://www.aeros-os.org/
check out indie-go..

phoenixkonsole 
Posted on 4-Jul-2013 19:37:20
#120 ]

@wawa
and this but with aros68k instead of AmigaOS:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FbDJAVLjWI

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle