Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
22 crawler(s) on-line.
 162 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 amigang:  14 mins ago
 OlafS25:  37 mins ago
 clint:  39 mins ago
 zipper:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 ppcamiga1:  1 hr 47 mins ago
 VooDoo:  2 hrs 6 mins ago
 marcofreeman:  2 hrs 24 mins ago
 pixie:  2 hrs 30 mins ago
 kolla:  2 hrs 46 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 15 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Amiga marks status
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
AmigaFromAfar 
Re: Amiga marks status
Posted on 11-May-2012 0:48:27
#21 ]

@number6

Hi Number6,

Pluritas is a broker, and from the other links provided (the quote from CUSA about having an exclusive license), I imagine they didn't manage to "broker" any significant deal and as such - Amiga Inc have licensed the trademarks to CUSA.

Here is my take on that license (I am assuming here that CUSA's comments here are true - http://www.commodore-amiga.org/forum/2-welcome-mat/11285-some-more-good-news-to-end-2011?lang=en#11285):

1. If the license is fully exclusive, this tells me that Amiga had very few other options. The name is about all Amiga Inc has left of any value, an exclusive license in the fields CUSA describes basically cuts off Amiga's options to do anything else (if the "exclusivity" is worth it's salt).

2. The fact they have also given CUSA right to enforce is big, either Amiga Inc was poorly advised or they have no intention of enforcing the rights themselves. Normally, even in the case of exclusive licenses the rights owner maintains the right to enforce the marks. It's just good business practice for a number of reasons.

Bottom line - to sign away the rights to the AMIGA name in: "Form factors include, but are not limited to Desktop, HTPC, Tower, AIO/ Keyboard etc. " (CUSA's quote) is really something that saddens me. CUSA isn't a major company with significant revenue, and the fact that is the best option Amiga Inc had is really indicative of the value of the "Amiga" name these days.

I can only hope they got a nice big upfront payment, as opposed to a per unit royalty.

Profile     Report this post  
number6 
Posted on 11-May-2012 0:58:20
#22 ]
Elite Member

@AmigaFromAfar

(copied some over from off-topic thread)

Quote:
1. If the license is fully exclusive, this tells me that Amiga had very few other options.

Essentially this is what happened with the Commodore license as well. Asiarim, at the time had no other viable options.
Now that the licensor (Asiarim at that time) is being sued and their licensing arm has been declared bankrupt by the courts, the outcome of the Commodore end is uncertain officially.

Quote:
2. The fact they have also given CUSA right to enforce is big, either Amiga Inc was poorly advised or they have no intention of enforcing the rights themselves.

Most people would interpret the Amiga Inc. vs Hyperion VOF settlement agreement as assigning that right to Hyperion, not CUSA. That is yet another matter of contention or perhaps just poorly defined.

Quote:
Pluritas is a broker, and from the other links provided (the quote from CUSA about having an exclusive license), I imagine they didn't manage to "broker" any significant deal and as such - Amiga Inc have licensed the trademarks to CUSA.

Actually the Icontain license mentioned previously, which occurred -after- Pluritas agreed to handle the divestiture was handled by Itec LLC on behalf of the estate of Pentti Kouri, deceased investor in Amiga Inc. So...you have an entity within Amiga Inc. proper involved as well. I do not believe it has been publically stated whether the license to CUSA was arranged through the same person and/or whether it was done on behalf of Kouri or Amiga Inc. proper.

Last edited by number6 on 11-May-2012 at 01:14 AM.

number6 
Posted on 18-May-2014 18:01:58
#23 ]
Elite Member

@cgutjahr

In case you have not heard and are interested,
Issued: May 13, 2014:

Patents by Assignee CLOANTO Corporation

number6 
Posted on 24-Sep-2015 16:14:22
#24 ]
Elite Member

@Hyperionmp

Quote:
Mere use of a specific trademark is sufficient in these countries to acquire trademark rights.

Quote:
Prosecution History Events

Quote:
2011-09-19

Abandonment notice mailed - no use statement filed

If they never filed a "use" statement, which from my reading as a layman seems required, then how does it pass the "use" test?

Does it appear anywhere on Amiga.com, which would be the logical place for it to appear if it was being used?

Added:It does, however, remain big as life here:
http://investorshub.advfn.com/Writers-Grp-Film-Corp-WRIT-17324/

Last edited by number6 on 24-Sep-2015 at 04:50 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle