Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 78 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  5 mins ago
 Hammer:  9 mins ago
 DWolfman:  10 mins ago
 RobertB:  50 mins ago
 utukku:  1 hr 20 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 16 mins ago
 OneTimer1:  2 hrs 42 mins ago
 BigD:  3 hrs 4 mins ago
 amigakit:  3 hrs 26 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  Old Amiga companies interest?
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
KimmoK 
Old Amiga companies interest?
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 10:41:01
#1 ]
Elite Member

It was positive to read that for example cinemaware guys are still interested in happenings in amigaworld (re: amigafuture).

Because of that we might have good change of getting some good old games and apps modernized for our NG.

Has anyone talked with Haage&partner about their Amiga SW? Could they allow someone to update/polish/finetune their SW for NG systems?
(some support info for Amiga SW can still be found on their web site via some googling)

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Profile     Report this post  
vox 
Re: Old Amiga companies interest?
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 11:18:09
#2 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Interest is one, but market is simply too small,
and there is currently no option to provide them freely with software and hardware needed to develop.

Tried a lot of times on my own, but companies are not interested (to develop since market is small, they are interest to know OS 4.x exists).

Off course, if Hyperion did it, it migh thave a bit different effect.

But lets say that we need that last two hardware options (X1000 and net top)
as well as OS 4.2 to sound quite a lot better in many ways (having low - mid range SAMs - and high end hardware, 3D accel. and SMP in OS)

It would be really nice if such negotiations were done so X1000 comes with e.g. one remake of some Classic hit game or e.g. newer Lightwave. That would raise much more attention and hope.

Some push forward is needed to brake this "evil spell" of small market - expensive hardware - no software, where one influences the other. At least 2nd spell will be broken with nettop.

Last edited by vox on 19-Nov-2011 at 11:19 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 11:19:49
#3 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Not sure wether there is a point...

H&P's ArtEffect has been been given to some OS4 folks (Aliena ??) years ago but sofar no results.

Worse even for Dopus-Magellan or Real3D..... wasn't there even something bout Imagine ??

Face it most of those old titles would require more work than the available resources.

KimmoK 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 11:31:45
#4 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

You seem to spell doom on everything...

Are you saying that people should give up reviving the platform and rather let it die?

Surely it should be easier to get good old content than state of the art content. We need both, but we should have something (good) first.

For games, retro is a big business.
For productivity, we need to be able to show (in simple way) what nice things can be done on this nicest/simplest/energy efficient desktop platform.
(ofcourse work on the simplicity needs also be continued to reach AOS3.1+bundledSW level.)

@vox

I think things like the old lightwave + screamernet would be nice if "bundled" with the OS. People would love to be able to do a lot after the boot up, rather than hear the "tada" and prepare to spend a truckload more money or to start learning the higher degree of linux competence before being able to use it fully.
+ and the OS should come with AmigaBasic kind of system to start to "bedroom develop" for fun. perhaps a hollywood+designer+codebench+etc bundle as extras, behind one click installation.

Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Nov-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Nov-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Nov-2011 at 11:36 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Nov-2011 at 11:33 AM.
Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Nov-2011 at 11:32 AM.

Kronos 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 11:50:50
#5 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Yeah, shooting the messenger has allways been popular round here

NG systems started 10(+)years ago. Name one example were such a port has been successfull.

The only ones I can thing of would be YAM,SimpleMail and lately AmIRC (I don't count AWeb as successfull). Not really big productivity apps in my book.
DigiBooster might also make that list but only after years of efford by a very very talented developer (of which we don't have that many).
On the other side there are the failures as mentioned above.

And really why ?

a) old SW runs on NG systems -> whats the point in porting them to PPC ?
b) old does not run on NG systems -> a port will require lots of effort and reward us SW with 1990s style features and useability.

Digging through 100k to serveral MBs of unmaintained code intented to run under the limiting specs of the 68k Amigas is surely no fun and fully understanding it might take longer than (re)writing a clean new implemataion (which will also be easier to maintain). And you don't have to worry bout dual ownerships, licences and so on.

andres 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 11:59:26
#6 ]

@KimmoK
what does Cinemaware people say about current Amiga scene?
I'm curios...

Home Recording Audio

KimmoK 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 12:06:19
#7 ]
Elite Member

@andres

IIRC, 50% of it's R&D personnell (of 2 persons?) are anxious to get their hands on X1000.

Last edited by KimmoK on 19-Nov-2011 at 12:18 PM.

Cool_amigaN 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 12:11:05
#8 ]

@KimmoK

There is no point in reviving "commercial" interest from ex-software developers, since there is no viable market or better put the (tiny) market looks already saturated. Better if we try persuade them releasing some 68k software under open source. Then perhaps someone might take the challenge and start porting to NG platforms. Having polished (visual enhancements, stable versions and perhaps added support/features ) free/bundled with NG OSes would be great, imo. Cause frankly speaking, other than the retro/nostalgia/hobby/geek feeling to run R3D on MOS/AOS/AROS there is no other point when comparing with updated raytracing progs. Having said that, I would prefer using a ppc native version of R3D than the bloated Blender on my Sam.

andres 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 12:15:16
#9 ]

@KimmoK
nice, I'll wait for It came from the desert 3

Home Recording Audio

KimmoK 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 12:17:57
#10 ]
Elite Member

@Cool_amigaN

"Better if we try persuade them releasing some 68k software under open source."
Absolutely, if they do not fancy tinkering with the old app as an hobby (for fun + fame in Amigaland).

OlafS25 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 12:45:48
#11 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

I can say there something because I try this for some time (expecially to support Natami). I spoke to Mr. Haage some time ago, he will not make his products opensource or freeware. Development and sale is given to Alinea. I had one answer from cinemaware and answered to use the old products as freeware but got no answer. So I do not know.

Freeware f.e. are Real3D, Imagemaster, TVPaint, Xipaint and others. Permissions to preinstall (expecially for Natami) I got for Pagestream 3.x and some of the Prodad-Programs. Maxon is only sale and has not the rights of the programs and the authors have disappeared. I tried to contact David Link from Hisoft but never got any answer.

Freeware or Opensource are f.e.
Amos Pro, Amiblitz, Purebasic, M2 Amiga, Dice, X-Copy, Shapeshifter, PC-Task

Last edited by OlafS25 on 19-Nov-2011 at 12:47 PM.

Coder 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 12:48:02
#12 ]
Team Member

@Kronos

Quote:
Digging through 100k to serveral MBs of unmaintained code intented to run under the limiting specs of the 68k Amigas is surely no fun and fully understanding it might take longer than (re)writing a clean new implemataion (which will also be easier to maintain). And you don't have to worry bout dual ownerships, licences and so on.

True.

Coder

OlafS25 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 12:49:36
#13 ]
Elite Member

@Coder

+1

Noone will port any of the Applications to PPC (for a couple of hundred users)

The company of Real3D f.e. told me that even the Linux-Version was financially a failure, so they will not support "exotic" platforms

The only NG-platform that could benefit is the Natami because it is compatible and needs no rewriting

Last edited by OlafS25 on 19-Nov-2011 at 12:52 PM.
Last edited by OlafS25 on 19-Nov-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Kronos 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 13:11:47
#14 ]
Elite Member

@OlafS25

It's not about those companies porting the SW themselfes (would be quite to expect that) but about them giving the sources to some continuing the project as an hobby.

1st part has worked a few times, 2nd part is the problem.

OlafS25 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 13:24:15
#15 ]
Elite Member

@Kronos

I have asked most (former bigger) companies about that. Answer was mostly no (make it opensource). The chance is bigger when there is only a author behind. But still there must be someone (or a team) that port it and often the programs are directly interacting with the classic-chipset so the tries often failed.

In some cases the companies/authors have no sourcecode anymore and the bigger the company is the less interested.

Alinea has the software of Haage including the source but I do not know that there is anything new buyable.

Last edited by OlafS25 on 19-Nov-2011 at 01:27 PM.

vox 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 14:04:09
#16 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK

Quote:
I think things like the old lightwave + screamernet would be nice if "bundled" with the OS. People would love to be able to do a lot after the boot up, rather than hear the "tada" and prepare to spend a truckload more money or to start learning the higher degree of linux competence before being able to use it fully. + and the OS should come with AmigaBasic kind of system to start to "bedroom develop" for fun. perhaps a hollywood+designer+codebench+etc bundle as extras, behind one click installation.

It would be up to Hyperion to extend the package bundled with OS of already nice apps,
and raise a price a bit to pay royalities, no doubt users would not complaing (e.g. OS price goes up 10 euros, but you get real apps). For software makers that would be reliable source of income, since they get it from each OS sold.

So I am right with you, but its also not likely.

@Kronos

Well no one will shoot the messanger, but announced were at least Real3D,
CamdyFactory and Dopus Magellan and that would make a great trio for everyone to enjoy and use. Surely, Blender saves the day, but these are the real things. Even just native ported, preferably in advanced versions.

Kronos points it in right direction: there is no company that would make future developments, Hyperion and Hoolywood makers are quite alone in this.

OlafS25 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 14:32:50
#17 ]
Elite Member

@vox

i have already asked if people are interested in a bundle but the answer no or at least not when the programs are really new (improved) because most people already have their applications. And a bundle with Hollywood/Designer would certainly cost a lot more than 10 € and it is doubtful how many would like to pay that (those who are interested propably already own Hollywood).

Kronos 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 14:48:15
#18 ]
Elite Member

@vox

Quote:

vox wrote:

Well no one will shoot the messanger, but announced were at least Real3D,
CamdyFactory and Dopus Magellan

"Annonced" !!!

When was that ? And how much of the SW did you see until now ?

Gebrochen 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 14:55:02
#19 ]

@Kronos

Ive noticed you are generally a downer, meaning in a positive way. Always looking ont he downside to things and not the upside.

This same forum also has the opposite scaled people, always looking on the upside of things..............

then the inbetweeners remain quiet, and read the forums, generally posting something innocently and then getting flamed sometimes for it!!!

Sooooooooo, where am I heading with this.

Easy, one question to you :

Do you have any Positive Optimism at all in you over Amiga Platform? Be it AOS, MOS or AROS?

Cheers

P.S. PLease treat the question genuinely, its not an attack, but rather trying to find out why you seem to generally be so negative within our community. No sunshine over there at your part of the world?

@ Thread

Well, while old companies may still be looking at whats going on in our community, new developers have come onboard in the last few years, so, all in all, Id say things are still looking up, not down since Acubes first release of New Gen Hardware.

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

Gebrochen 
Posted on 19-Nov-2011 15:02:14
#20 ]

@vox

Was Real3d Announced by the actual creators whon are now known as realsoft 3d???

Or are we talking about different people, if so link?

Candy Factory is still only just alk IMHO, has anyone talked to the developer if developments are being carried forward, or has development stopped?

Cheers

AmiKit 12
MorphOS PowerBook G4 (which can play youtube vids)

https://blitterwolf.blogspot.com

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle