Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
9 crawler(s) on-line.
 87 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 zipper:  39 mins ago
 A1200:  50 mins ago
 vox:  1 hr 4 mins ago
 Hypex:  1 hr 19 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 pixie:  1 hr 36 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 38 mins ago
 Allanon:  2 hrs 15 mins ago
 Birbo:  2 hrs 33 mins ago
 amigakit:  4 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Re: [Poll] Nibiru: What if?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think?
Plain simple paranoid BS
Interesting reading, still BS
Largely BS as Nibiru isn't nearby at this point
I'm open minded, could be true... But I'm sceptical
I think there's much truth in this
I'm convinced Nibiru/Planet X is looming nearby
Interesting gotta do some research

PosterThread
MikeB 
Re: [Poll] Nibiru: What if?
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 14:06:07
#381 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Quote:
True enough, but if memory serves me right Borrelly wasn't a world wrecking brown dwarf either. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

Borrely isn't a brown dwarf. I also don't think we have more than one brown dwarf in our solar system, else "comets" entering our inner solar system would most likely have come from several preferred locations instead of just from a small area in the sky.

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 14:26:50
#382 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Borrely isn't a brown dwarf. I also don't think we have more than one brown dwarf in our solar system, else "comets" entering our inner solar system would most likely have come from several preferred locations instead of just from a small area in the sky.

I should add that's assuming it's not a double brown dwarf like the double brown dwarf discovered in 2003, 12 light years from us in the Epsilon Indi system (the smaller one orbiting the other brown dwarf as a moon).

But judging from Leonid Elenin's picture ELEnin isn't a double-brown dwarf system (if genuine).

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:08:36
#383 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Magnetism? Seriously?! Next you're going to try to sell us magenetic wrist bands for their physical therapy improvements. Face-palm here was about the only rational response to such lunacy.

But, let's take your magnetism guess and test it out. Magnetism effects work in the inverse square law. Force = (q1xq2) / r^2. With which you could define a mass and thereby a range of size for Elenin. Compare it to the 4K km size of Elenin. Put down the dead society fiction and do some work. Instead of guessing why not Do The Math?!

Quote:
I think most people just prefer to ignore all this evidence for personal reasons.
People should be taking the two different claims and using skepticism to accept one over the other. You're right we're all people and certainly one's personal reasons come into effect for accepting things. Stichin over the bulk of evidence against Stichin is one good example.

Quote:
"Comet" Elenin is a very big object currently travelling through the inner parts of our solar system
Comet Elenin is a 4K-8K km sized object with a big amount dust being vaporized to form the pretty comet tail.

Last edited by BrianK on 17-Apr-2011 at 03:13 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:26:16
#384 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

We will have to wait and see if the "comet" ELEnin is really as small and light weight as claimed to be. The alignments during big earthquakes here on earth can be just a coincidence, but such facts combined with the Mayan predictions make this peculiar to say the least.

The next alignment will be around the 27th of September 2011 according to NASA. If you only get to see an amazing firework display in the sky NASA didn't lie. If the earth plates shift (like how during many crust shifts south america is no longer attached to africa with an enormous ocean in between) then you know this is certainly Nibiru and NASA lied.

recedent 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:35:01
#385 ]

@MikeB

Okay, let us wait. And if the world ends in September you can call all of us, skeptics, "pathetic fools". If not - I'll be the first to laugh in your face. About 00:01 CET, 28th Sept. Until then...

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:45:24
#386 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
The alignments during big earthquakes here on earth can be just a coincidence, but such facts combined with the Mayan predictions make this peculiar to say the least
We already covered this. There are approximately 8,000 earth quakes a day. Most of those are small enough that we can't feel them. We feel about 18+ per day on average.

If alignments are the strongest Fukushima is indication that they don't cause such problems as it was days after an 'alignment'. So the only coincidence here is fudging of statements to make a claim true that isn't.

Quote:
The next alignment will be around the 27th of September 2011 according to NASA.
O'Reilly? Linkage from the NASA site?

Also note we're talking 2 objects in space. Two points define a line, by definition. Thus, Elenin and Earth are always in 'alignment'.

Quote:
If earth plates shift then you know this is certainly Nibiru and NASA lied
Which again are continually happening and detectable with instruments over eight thousand times per day on average.

An alignment produces no significant increase of gravitational forces. Gravity would move the crust. We know gravity does move tides, this didn't happen. We know gravity would also cause the satellites to change their orbit, this didn't happen. There's no collaborating evidence to show anything outside of earth itself had any cause.

Don't conflate coorelation with causation.

Last edited by BrianK on 17-Apr-2011 at 04:29 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 15:50:39
#387 ]
Elite Member

@recedent

Quote:
Okay, let us wait. And if the world ends in September you can call all of us, skeptics, "pathetic fools". If not - I'll be the first to laugh in your face. About 00:01 CET, 28th Sept. Until then...

Wait we won't make it to Sept. There are billboards all over here and all over the world apparently telling us that May 21, 2011 will be the date of the rapture. Though the world ends Oct 21.

Personally I hope so. It'll make the daily commute oh so quicker.

**Note to self buy Kool-Aid and Nike stock

Last edited by BrianK on 17-Apr-2011 at 03:57 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 17:07:58
#388 ]
Elite Member

Mayan prohecy:

"They show the links between the pre-Columbian civilizations of Central America and the Old World, in particular Egypt. Examining the archaeological record, they find further evidence for linking the origins of Mayan civilization with the mythical lost continent of Atlantis, which according to Plato was destroyed in a series of catastrophes.

They reveal that the Mayan calendar prophesies the end of our own "Age of the Jaguar", the fifth and final "sun" in 2012 AD. This, according to Cotterell's sun-spot theories, will be brought about by a sudden reversal in the earth's magnetic field."

http://www.knowledge.co.uk/xxx/cat/mayan/

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 17:19:02
#389 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
This, according to Cotterell's sun-spot theories, will be brought about by a sudden reversal in the earth's magnetic field."
A switch of the magnetic poles will not result in catastrophy. NADA.. Now a flip of the axis.. OUCH!

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 17:28:02
#390 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
A switch of the magnetic poles will not result in catastrophy. NADA.. Now a flip of the axis.. OUCH!

And that's what is going to happen eventually. Our wobble will end en we will flip axis.

BrianK 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 17:39:11
#391 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
And that's what is going to happen eventually. Our wobble will end en we will flip axis.
It does appear that the axis may eventually flip. Though I doubt will stop a wobble. Though note a change in axis is not a change in magnetic poles.

Also... The moon will eventually break off of the earth. The sun will swell and engulf the earth. And the universe will continue to expand in such a way that should the earth exist we'd not be able to see any stars.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 17:44:04
#392 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Quote:
t May 21, 2011 will be the date of the rapture

Wow, better get my car fixed in time just in case.

Nimrod 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 18:21:55
#393 ]

@MikeB

Maurice Cotterell, the natural successor to Zecharia Sitchin.
A radio engineer who is the only person who can "correctly translate" ancient texts to find out that humans are congenitally stupid and cannot do anything without help from superior beings.
Cotterell does not submit theories for peer review, but sells his stories for a huge markup backed by some wonderful advertising claims to justify selling an A4 bound document for £400
Quote:
Printing technology does not yet exist to mass produce this book, which contains more than 32 A4-size transparencies, enabling the reader to see the hidden pictures for themselves - so each book is hand made to order.

His theories include the claim that the terracotta warriors were a coded message that only Cotterelll could read. http://www.mauricecotterell.com/05TerracottaWarriors.htm

A Google search for Cotterell finds a great many sites selling his books, but nothing from any serious academics. There was however one interesting quote on one of his fan sites.
Quote:
In 1986 Maurice Cotterell put forward a revolutionary theory concerning astrology and sun cycles.

When I want my fortune told I will get my granny to read some tea leaves for me. That way at least I will get a decent drink.

Last edited by Nimrod on 17-Apr-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Last edited by Nimrod on 17-Apr-2011 at 06:29 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 20:37:17
#394 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@T-J

"Now, however, scientists delving into the astronomical theories encoded in this quintessentially Greek device have concluded that they are not Greek at all, but Babylonian — an empire predating this era by centuries. This finding is forcing historians to rethink a crucial period in the development of astronomy. It may well be that geared devices such as the Antikythera mechanism did not model the Greeks' geometric view of the cosmos after all. "

http://www.nature.com/news/2010/101124/pdf/468496a.pdf

Really a lot of new things have been discovered about our own solar system, brown dwarfs, ancient human history in recent years. You seem to act everything is well understood by now. That's not the case at all for mainstream educational backgrounds.

What? You didn't know he had a side job as a rocker scientist? He even tells you other people's theories as his own even though he doesn't believe them.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 20:38:34
#395 ]
Elite Member

@recedent

Quote:

recedent wrote:
@Lou

Finally I've made a decent "double Moon" video. You can watch it here. Well, the quality isn't really stunning, but nevertheless - it's a video and shows exactly what I've posted earlier - a "DIY double Moon".

Cool, send me your email address so I can send you my double moon video. It involves me dropping my drawers twice. I'll bet mines it more authentic than yours.

MikeB 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 20:39:56
#396 ]
Elite Member

@Nimrod

Is there anything you need to know about the mayas, maybe I can provide an answer for free.

T-J 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 20:41:38
#397 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Oh grow up.

Quote:
What? You didn't know he had a side job as a rocker scientist? He even tells you other people's theories as his own even though he doesn't believe them.

Now you're misrepresenting me. I do not present other peoples' theories as my own, I present theories that I consider are the most likely explanations and then summarise the evidence for and against. I provide reference to my sources and all credit must go to the original authors, as always.

And I do not 'believe' them in the sense that I do not hold a quasi-religious dedication to them. I accept them as the most likely scenarios.

@MikeB

I've already been over the Maya long-count and associated ideas. They do not predict the end of the world. Its just a calendar ticking over to a larger number, like when the Julian Calendar went from 999 to 1000, or the Gregorian Calendar from 1999 to 2000. There is no more chance of the world ending when the Maya long count ticks over than there was in '99.

Last edited by T-J on 17-Apr-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Last edited by T-J on 17-Apr-2011 at 08:43 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 20:45:09
#398 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
@BrianK

We will have to wait and see if the "comet" ELEnin is really as small and light weight as claimed to be. The alignments during big earthquakes here on earth can be just a coincidence, but such facts combined with the Mayan predictions make this peculiar to say the least.

The next alignment will be around the 27th of September 2011 according to NASA. If you only get to see an amazing firework display in the sky NASA didn't lie. If the earth plates shift (like how during many crust shifts south america is no longer attached to africa with an enormous ocean in between) then you know this is certainly Nibiru and NASA lied.

There's been a rash of floods across the world as well as extremely violent windstorms that just swept a good part of the USA yet people. People like to ignore that stuff and only focus on the big stuff like quakes during alignments... Oh wait, I'll put my blinders back on. ttyl

Lou 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 20:51:37
#399 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:

MikeB wrote:
Mayan prohecy:

"They show the links between the pre-Columbian civilizations of Central America and the Old World, in particular Egypt. Examining the archaeological record, they find further evidence for linking the origins of Mayan civilization with the mythical lost continent of Atlantis, which according to Plato was destroyed in a series of catastrophes.

They reveal that the Mayan calendar prophesies the end of our own "Age of the Jaguar", the fifth and final "sun" in 2012 AD. This, according to Cotterell's sun-spot theories, will be brought about by a sudden reversal in the earth's magnetic field."

http://www.knowledge.co.uk/xxx/cat/mayan/

With all the adjustments to our imperfectly accepted calendar over the last couple of millenia I don't think 2012 is the correct year.

http://www.cslib.org/CalendarChange.htm

T-J 
Posted on 17-Apr-2011 20:58:55
#400 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

I was wondering how long it would be before you brought up those storms. Nibiru again, yes? Mysteriously causing tornados while still having no effect on the tides or on satellites?

Quote:
With all the adjustments to our imperfectly accepted calendar over the last couple of millenia I don't think 2012 is the correct year.

Getting the excuses in early, I see. The start of the 14th b'ak'tun, 13.0.0.0.0, corresponds to the 21st December 2012 on the modern Gregorian calendar. Or the 8th December 2012 on the now superseded Julian calendar that you link to in order to create mystery and doubt where none exists.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle