Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
10 crawler(s) on-line.
 110 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

Gunnar

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Gunnar:  1 min ago
 OlafS25:  5 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  9 mins ago
 MickJT:  28 mins ago
 A1200:  51 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 26 mins ago
 AndreasM:  1 hr 28 mins ago
 sibbi:  1 hr 37 mins ago
 saimo:  1 hr 52 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  1 hr 52 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Free For All
      /  Re: [Poll] Nibiru: What if?
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )
Poll : What do you think?
Plain simple paranoid BS
Interesting reading, still BS
Largely BS as Nibiru isn't nearby at this point
I'm open minded, could be true... But I'm sceptical
I think there's much truth in this
I'm convinced Nibiru/Planet X is looming nearby
Interesting gotta do some research

PosterThread
T-J 
Re: [Poll] Nibiru: What if?
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 16:52:57
#101 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

What's really funny is that you're sticking dogmatically to one opinion from a discredited economist who makes up translations no-one can confirm of tablets that are found within a very well-understood tradition of art.

You quote sitchiniswrong as a site to look at, so I've read Dr Heiser's interpretation of the sun and star symbols. If you've read it as well, you will be aware of the fact that he has also considered 'penmanship' in his interpretation. There are several tablets referenced in Heiser's work, each of them containing different versions of the sun and star symbols.

But all of the star symbols have six or more points and no outer circle. And all the sun symbols have wavy lines and an outer circle.

How do we know what the symbols mean? Well, there is a body of hundreds of tablets and seals that Heiser etc have read and compared, that Sitchin simply doesn't address. In each and every one, references to the sun, or its associated deity, are found alongside the wavy lines symbol. And in each and every one, references to the various deities associated with stars come with the six or eight pointed symbol.

And you suggest that the eight pointed star-shape is meant to denote a particularly bright star, ie the sun? Nonsense - to the Sumerians, the sun was a planet.

Come on, use that famous common sense of yours!

Profile     Report this post  
MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 17:07:34
#102 ]
Elite Member

Quote:
This was reported to be an "exploding meteor" by the authorities in New Zealand:

There have been several of those in New Zealand and also one in Russia. I have never seen footage of a meteor (let alone several of them) exploding in the sky like that. IMO looks more like a projectile shot at an asteroid (like with the game missile command).

The russian circular blue light captured on video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fzS6a2ruTA

The sky wasn't clear, it looks more diffuse than the picture above. But it looks to be identical.

Last edited by MikeB on 06-Apr-2011 at 05:09 PM.

Nimrod 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 17:10:04
#103 ]

@recedent
The term common knowledge was enclosed in double quotes for a reason.

Like any scientist Galileo did not stand in glorious isolation, and having read of Copernicus' discoveries he made a telescope of his own and published his findings. As a result, Galileo was arrested and charged with heresy. Because of his connections his sentence was commuted to house arrest, however the threat of the standard penalty ensured that he would be a good little heretic.

In 1992, Pope John Paul II acknowledged that that the church made a mistake when it condemned Galileo

Caveman 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 17:10:36
#104 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

It's not uncommon that meteor exploding when entering our atmosphere.

Lou 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 17:26:15
#105 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:

T-J wrote:
@Lou

What's really funny is that you're sticking dogmatically to one opinion from a discredited economist who makes up translations no-one can confirm of tablets that are found within a very well-understood tradition of art.

You quote sitchiniswrong as a site to look at, so I've read Dr Heiser's interpretation of the sun and star symbols. If you've read it as well, you will be aware of the fact that he has also considered 'penmanship' in his interpretation. There are several tablets referenced in Heiser's work, each of them containing different versions of the sun and star symbols.

But all of the star symbols have six or more points and no outer circle. And all the sun symbols have wavy lines and an outer circle.

How do we know what the symbols mean? Well, there is a body of hundreds of tablets and seals that Heiser etc have read and compared, that Sitchin simply doesn't address. In each and every one, references to the sun, or its associated deity, are found alongside the wavy lines symbol. And in each and every one, references to the various deities associated with stars come with the six or eight pointed symbol.

And you suggest that the eight pointed star-shape is meant to denote a particularly bright star, ie the sun? Nonsense - to the Sumerians, the sun was a planet.

Come on, use that famous common sense of yours!

To me, you are going in circles. You claim nothing can be confirmed then confirm they are not the same.

If other tablets have been found that he never saw, that means absolutely nothing until their context is examined. Just as if 1000 years from now a future civilization finds a bible then in another remote part of the world someone finds one of Stephen King's novels. What would they think about our current society when comparing the two books?

The thing about Sitchin is his translation explains many ancient historical happenings in a logical manner with a timeline including the formation of this planet which would have been completely unknown to Sumerians. His translations relate directly to historical events...something nothing else has done. Next you'll tell me they had powerful telescopes and knew about the asteroid belt in the text I quoted a few posts back...

If someone has a credible counter argument, then they'd have their own complete historical picture. Yet it would still only be their own 'theory'. Instead isolated instances are picked out and attempts to discredit it are made and then as the assumption goes: if you can get people to believe 1 small part is invalid then 'logic says' you can't believe any of it...and that's what people like you do.

I'm not saying he's 100% right. I'm saying what he said makes more sense then the wild isolated guesses that everone else has come up with. So by default, I'll defer to what he says over someone else.

Last edited by Lou on 06-Apr-2011 at 06:32 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 17:27:29
#106 ]
Elite Member

@Caveman

I stated I haven't seen a meteor explode like that before. It looks to have exploded above the atmosphere in a very different manner too.

recedent 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 18:31:05
#107 ]

@Nimrod

Quote:
In 1992, Pope John Paul II acknowledged that that the church made a mistake when it condemned Galileo

Of course he did. But (suprise suprise) Galileo's process was fair. Sometimes even an innocent person gets prosecuted and condemned when evidence is against him. Then, from time to time it turns out that defendant was innocent and needs to be rehabilitated. That's life.

T-J 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 18:32:14
#108 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
You claim nothing can be confirmed then confirm they are not the same.

No, I point out that no reputable linguist has confirmed Sitchin's translations. They have translated them differently, and each of their translations are broadly consistent with each other. Only Sitchin sticks a nuclear war in to spice up the boring bits.

Translation: Sitchin is wrong. At best, mistaken. At worst, he actively dissembles, distorts and occasionally outright lies to push his little theory. Which he spent most of his life dining out on, thanks to sales of his books to the wishful thinkers.

Quote:
...His translations relate directly to historical events...something nothing else has done. Next you'll tell me they had powerful telescopes and knew about the asteroid belt in the text I quoted a few posts back...

Just cutting out a representative sample.

In case its not clear, I do not suggest that the Sumerians had powerful telescopes or anything like that. I am telling you that Sitchin's translations are wrong - they never knew any such things about the universe. They thought that the universe consisted of the Earth, five orbiting planets and some stars.

Lou 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 20:41:31
#109 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:

T-J wrote:
@Lou

Quote:
You claim nothing can be confirmed then confirm they are not the same.

No, I point out that no reputable linguist has confirmed Sitchin's translations. They have translated them differently, and each of their translations are broadly consistent with each other. Only Sitchin sticks a nuclear war in to spice up the boring bits.

Translation: Sitchin is wrong. At best, mistaken. At worst, he actively dissembles, distorts and occasionally outright lies to push his little theory. Which he spent most of his life dining out on, thanks to sales of his books to the wishful thinkers.

Quote:
...His translations relate directly to historical events...something nothing else has done. Next you'll tell me they had powerful telescopes and knew about the asteroid belt in the text I quoted a few posts back...

Just cutting out a representative sample.

In case its not clear, I do not suggest that the Sumerians had powerful telescopes or anything like that. I am telling you that Sitchin's translations are wrong - they never knew any such things about the universe. They thought that the universe consisted of the Earth, five orbiting planets and some stars.

So what you're saying is that you actually can't explain anything, you just don't want to believe Sitchin, right?

Actually, there is overwhelming evidence that all of today's deserts show signs of a nuclear explosion.

Also, the Veda Or vedic religion in India tells of a time when men flew through the air in machines and due to their arrogance warred with each other and destroyed all their culture and technology. This supposedly happened over 20 000 years ago (according to them).

Quote:
A layer of radioactive ash was found in Rajasthan, India. It covered a three-square mile area, ten miles west of Jodhpur. The research occurred after a very high rate of birth defects and cancer was discovered in the area. The levels of radiation registered so high on investigators’ gauges that the Indian government cordoned off the region. Scientists then apparently unearthed an ancient city where they found evidence of an atomic blast dating back thousands of years: from 8,000 to 12,000 years.

Quote:
Brad Steiger and Ron Calais report in their book, Mysteries of Time and Space, that Albion W. Hart, one of the first engineers to graduate from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, was assigned an engineering project in the interior of Africa. While he and his men were travelling to an almost inaccessible region, they first had to cross a great expanse of desert.

"At the time he was puzzled and quite unable to explain a large expanse of greenish glass which covered the sands as far as he could see," writes Margarethe Casson in an article on Hart's life in the magazine Rocks and Minerals (no. 396, 1972).

She then goes on to mention: "Later on, during his life he passed by the White Sands area after the first atomic explosion there, and he recognized the same type of silica fusion which he had seen fifty years earlier in the African desert."

So you see, science backs Sitchin. Once again, Sitchin tells a more complete tale which includes why we'll never find the missing link.

You also don't explain why do so many ancient civilizations retell the same exact stories? They simply corroborate Sitchin. These stories include men on flying machines. Heiroglyphics with a helicoptor exist. Ooparts of a working model airplane EXIST. You can't disprove what exists. As for the 'why do these things exist', Sitchin's story sound better than everyone else's to me. So that's what I'm sticking with.

It's one thing to throw 'some other random expert's opinion' in there to discredit what he translated...but the skeptics simply choose to ignore the corroborating evidence from other equally ancient cultures.

All Sitchin did is put it all together for everyone to understand. It's not like I hadn't come to similar conclusions growing up contemplating things like ancient Egypt, the Mayans, the Gaza strip, Stone Henge, Easter Island and other such wonders of the world. Infact, I only found out about Sitchin at the beginning of this year.

Some more food for thought:
Quote:
In order to build the pyramid, you would have had quarry and then move 2.3 million granite or limestone blocks weighing between 2.5 and 50 tons, 600 miles to the site of the pyramid. Keep in mind that the copper and bronze tools experts say the Egyptians used to precisely cut the stone blocks are softer than the limestone and granite blocks. Keep in mind that you will need to lift and precisely place granite blocks, some again weighing nearly 50 tons, to a height of nearly 500 feet. That's 50 stories. These stones will need to be placed with such tolerances that a razor blade will not fit between them. Your pyramid will when finished line up with the four points of the compass with an accuracy of .06 degrees, supposedly, without a compass.

Your team will need to level the 13-acre limestone bedrock base to a degree of accuracy only recently achieved with laser technology using only the known technology of the Dynastic Egyptians. Among technological attributes to numerous to mention, your team will have to excavate what’s known as the ‘Descending Passage’ some 350 feet into solid bedrock using copper and bronze tools, at a 26-degree angle-- all the while keeping the tunnel arrow-straight for its entire length”!

Last edited by Lou on 06-Apr-2011 at 08:46 PM.

T-J 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 21:14:30
#110 ]
Cult Member

@Lou

Quote:
So what you're saying is that you actually can't explain anything, you just don't want to believe Sitchin, right?

No. What I have repeatedly tried to say is that science and reason have perfectly rational explanations for every unusual phenomenon you and others have come up with so far. Yet you continue to cling to the fantastical stories of Sitchin and Daniken.

So, I can explain the reasons why neither Nibiru nor its supposed inhabitants exist, grounded in physics, astronomy and archaeology that you and Sitchin have demonstrated your ignorance of.

All you and Sitchin can do is try to create uncertainty and doubt where none exists, cherry-picking pretty illustrations and throwing together half-baked theories with no grounding in fact or reason.

I can't help but wonder what you're going to present as 'evidence' for the fictional nuclear war Sitchin dreamed up, though. More badly eroded carvings from Sumerian farmers, probably.

The rest of your comment I can address with a simple statement: These artefacts you claim to have *do not exist*. What you do have is carved stone artefacts, weathered rock formations and ingots of assorted ores that charlatans like Sitchin have chosen to interpret as 'ooparts' or 'working helicopters' or whatever. With no evidence whatsoever to back this up. Pure fiction. Fantasy.

Nowhere in any of his 'history' does Sitchin provide any evidence more solid than that provided by Tolkien in his Silmarillion. You might just as well believe in that as the one true and revealed history of the Earth and its ancient peoples.

Quote:
It's one thing to throw 'some other random expert's opinion' in there to discredit what he translated.

Seriously, are you just trolling me now? You are actually suggesting that I can't question these translations? Translations that I have pointed out are regarded by the entire research and linguistics community as false? Sitchin makes up a translation, interprets a rock based on them, and then uses that interpretation to 'validate' his original, made up translation. Pulling himself up by his bootstraps, and any rational, sane person would know that.

I don't know what it is, but it isn't science.

Last edited by T-J on 06-Apr-2011 at 09:40 PM.
Last edited by T-J on 06-Apr-2011 at 09:32 PM.
Last edited by T-J on 06-Apr-2011 at 09:26 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 22:16:43
#111 ]
Elite Member

The NASA just reported two small asteroids are currently passing the earth at mere distances of 77,000 km and 192,000 km from earth.

T-J 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 22:20:10
#112 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

12,756.2km. That's the diameter of the Earth.

Sorry, has that just spoilt the panic? What kind of super-advanced alien gods can't even chuck pebbles accurately?

edit: Recent near-misses.

Last edited by T-J on 06-Apr-2011 at 10:22 PM.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 22:25:06
#113 ]
Elite Member

A big asteroid, the biggest one to come this close to earth since 1976 is reported to pass the earth in early November.

It is stated to come from the south (the direction Nibiru is alledgedly following).

http://www.space.com/11310-huge-asteroid-2005-yu55-passing-earth-november.html

T-J 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 22:29:22
#114 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

Don't worry. Nibiru doesn't exist, and we have Bruce Willis to take care of the asteroids.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 22:38:05
#115 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:
Sorry, has that just spoilt the panic?

Panic from 2 small asteroids? I think not.

However it does seem to point to an increase of stuff is currently coming our way and I find the reporting a bit too late.

T-J 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 22:45:13
#116 ]
Cult Member

@MikeB

So, you've made sure to check the records of past asteroid flypasts to substantiate your claim of a recent increase?

See the link I posted before for today's arrivals and departures.

Last edited by T-J on 06-Apr-2011 at 10:45 PM.

BrianK 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 22:50:00
#117 ]
Elite Member

@MikeB

Quote:
Seems like a lot of things have started to fall from the sky recently
On average 100 tons of material enters our atmosphere each day. What is 'a lot'?

MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 22:55:06
#118 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

I can't connect to the website...

The bodies were one-third to one-half the size of the object that slammed into a region near the Tunguska River in Russia in 1908.

MikeB 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 23:18:08
#119 ]
Elite Member

@BrianK

Potentially Hazardous Asteroids (PHAs) are space rocks larger than approximately 100m that can come closer to Earth than 0.05 AU.

According to SpaceWeather.com there were 306 such objects found for 2002. Now there are 1214 found objects fitting this description and a few new ones have just been added.

Anyway also just in, SO16 is the largest space rock ever discovered so close to earth!

It appears it follows a weird orbit, luckily repulsion with the earth should keep it from impacting. Its orbit according to NASA:

Last edited by MikeB on 06-Apr-2011 at 11:46 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 06-Apr-2011 at 11:45 PM.
Last edited by MikeB on 06-Apr-2011 at 11:19 PM.

Lou 
Posted on 6-Apr-2011 23:55:41
#120 ]
Elite Member

@T-J

Quote:

T-J wrote:
@Lou

Quote:

No. What I have repeatedly tried to say is that science and reason have perfectly rational explanations for every unusual phenomenon you and others have come up with so far. Yet you continue to cling to the fantastical stories of Sitchin and Daniken.

So, I can explain the reasons why neither Nibiru nor its supposed inhabitants exist, grounded in physics, astronomy and archaeology that you and Sitchin have demonstrated your ignorance of.

All you and Sitchin can do is try to create uncertainty and doubt where none exists, cherry-picking pretty illustrations and throwing together half-baked theories with no grounding in fact or reason.

I can't help but wonder what you're going to present as 'evidence' for the fictional nuclear war Sitchin dreamed up, though. More badly eroded carvings from Sumerian farmers, probably.

The rest of your comment I can address with a simple statement: These artefacts you claim to have *do not exist*. What you do have is carved stone artefacts, weathered rock formations and ingots of assorted ores that charlatans like Sitchin have chosen to interpret as 'ooparts' or 'working helicopters' or whatever. With no evidence whatsoever to back this up. Pure fiction. Fantasy.

Nowhere in any of his 'history' does Sitchin provide any evidence more solid than that provided by Tolkien in his Silmarillion. You might just as well believe in that as the one true and revealed history of the Earth and its ancient peoples.

Quote:
[quote]It's one thing to throw 'some other random expert's opinion' in there to discredit what he translated.

Seriously, are you just trolling me now? You are actually suggesting that I can't question these translations? Translations that I have pointed out are regarded by the entire research and linguistics community as false? Sitchin makes up a translation, interprets a rock based on them, and then uses that interpretation to 'validate' his original, made up translation. Pulling himself up by his bootstraps, and any rational, sane person would know that.

I don't know what it is, but it isn't science.

Me trolling you? I was going to ask you the same thing. You 'expert opion' is to deny existence of hard facts it seems. No OOPARTS you say? Oh really?
http://www.ancient-wisdom.co.uk/ooparts.htm
http://www.s8int.com

How do you explain giant skeletons?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Gp-cZcdBag&feature=related

What are your personal religious beliefs?

Last edited by Lou on 06-Apr-2011 at 11:57 PM.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle