Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
11 crawler(s) on-line.
 83 guest(s) on-line.
 1 member(s) on-line.

DiscreetFX

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 DiscreetFX:  4 mins ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  42 mins ago
 eliyahu:  44 mins ago
 pixie:  52 mins ago
 outlawal2:  1 hr 6 mins ago
 Gunnar:  1 hr 11 mins ago
 matthey:  2 hrs 23 mins ago
 fishy_fis:  2 hrs 48 mins ago
 kriz:  3 hrs 27 mins ago
 naitly:  3 hrs 33 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  General Technology (No Console Threads)
      /  C=USA FAQ #1
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Hattig 
Re: C=USA FAQ #1
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 17:12:16
#41 ]

Well I wish them luck with their Intel Atom based solution, coming out at a time when AMD Zacate (E-350) uses less power and outperforms that solution, and can also play games. I know that their design has taken a while, and that the Atom was the only choice back when they started, but hopefully they will be able to switch to a Fusion based board in due course. In the meantime I guess an Ion2 + 1.8GHz Atom isn't the worse thing on the planet. I also hope the DVD drive and flash-media drives on the C64 model is also beige, rather than black.

However if they produce a stand-alone Amiga-esque keyboard to match the quality of the C64 keyboard they've made (assuming it is as good as they say it is), then I will be interested to buy that!

I hope that their Amiga model is using an AMD Llano Fusion APU when it comes out this summer. Sure the Intel Sandy Bridge CPU might be faster, but its graphics are very weak - and that just isn't what an Amiga is. Llano looks very well balanced.

Profile     Report this post  
persia 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 21:24:21
#42 ]

@damocles

Quote:
That would more then likely be for the Vic series for the institutional work since it's going to be cheap, space saving since it's a low profile AIO keyboard that has low power consumption. It may not fly for some western countries, but it should prove to be a viable alternative to big box computers in developing countries educational institutions as well as private institutions. I don't think Barry is referring to computer labs that will require horsepower for compiles, but standard client/server applications that a teacher or school officer worker would need to do their daily work on.

My son's school is full of low power space saving all-in-ones, they're know as iMacs. And if you think putting the mother board inside the keyboard instead of the monitor is a good idea for schools I suggest you talk to someone who runs a school computer lab and ask how many keyboards they replace because some kid snuck a drink in with them....

My brother in law used to work in a school in India, they had some locally made small boxes that fit on the back of monitors. The rooms are hot and these machines just seem to survive that and the dirty power. The nice thing about a separate box is that you can direct your cooling to the boxes. Again the keyboards were the weak part of the equation, they didn't hold up to the heat, sweat and use. But fortunately keyboards are cheap and easy to replace.

It just seems to be that keyboard computers would fail badly in a school environment.

bison 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 22:12:06
#43 ]
Elite Member

@itix

Quote:

itix wrote:
@digitex

Quote:

WHAT??? 15 questions asked, 11 answered, and the remaining 4 will be answered by Leo, as indicated. READ MUCH??

They were not real answers. Just random words here and there.

Ah, but they're not just random words. This is an example of press-release-speak, a skill that is part of what is collectively known as marketing.

I could double my income if I could learn to talk like that.

Last edited by bison on 13-Mar-2011 at 10:13 PM.

koft 
Posted on 14-Mar-2011 6:09:28
#44 ]

@persia

Quote:

persia wrote:

It just seems to be that keyboard computers would fail badly in a school environment.

When I was in elementary school here in the US all the schools had labs full of apple ][s and c64s, and they held up just fine.

damocles 
Posted on 14-Mar-2011 12:52:24
#45 ]

@persia

So C=USA will need to include a few skins with each educational purchase?

persia 
Posted on 14-Mar-2011 14:05:59
#46 ]

@damocles

I'd say it would be a tough sale, this isn't the '80s, monitors are small, all-in-ones (like iMac) are now available, small box PCs are available. From a practical standpoint there's no reason to expose the motherboard to potential damage in the way keyboard computers do. We see enough of that in laptops or note books.

Basically C=USA is presenting a false dichotomy between big box and keyboard computers when there's a huge range of small and low profile solutions available. I just helped a local school with their purchase a fair number of Dell Inspiron Zinos. It's a pretty neat solution actually, the zinos are basically Mac Mini clones that you can mount anywhere and they're practically invisible. Such things weren't available in the '80s when CRTs took up half the desk. I really wouldn't expect schools to go after retro keyboard computers in any large numbers nowadays given the alternatives.

number6 
Posted on 14-Mar-2011 23:19:16
#47 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Remaining 4 questions redirected from Barry to Leo answered

damocles 
Posted on 15-Mar-2011 14:18:33
#48 ]

Leo's replies.

number6 
Posted on 19-Mar-2011 13:38:31
#49 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Some new info about the online store from pcworld

Is it just me, or do the links in the article show "HTTP Error 404.0 - Not Found"?

Last edited by number6 on 19-Mar-2011 at 02:04 PM.

damocles 
Posted on 19-Mar-2011 14:10:54
#50 ]

@number6

Figures they screw it up by showing the wrong computer.

number6 
Posted on 19-Mar-2011 14:20:51
#51 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

I can't believe this is the same pcworld I remember from the past.
I'll leave it at that...

Should not your ad agency of Korey Kay be screaming at these people?

Last edited by number6 on 19-Mar-2011 at 02:30 PM.

jas_mc 
Posted on 19-Mar-2011 14:43:55
#52 ]

To be fair, the PC World article is a year old, which is why the picture shows the Phoenix.

number6 
Posted on 19-Mar-2011 14:55:09
#53 ]
Elite Member

@jas_mc

ok, this one is closer to accuracy, heh.

March, 2011, instead of March, 2010.

GobanToba 
Posted on 20-Mar-2011 16:15:58
#54 ]

@persia

Quote:

My son's school is full of low power space saving all-in-ones, they're know as iMacs. And if you think putting the mother board inside the keyboard instead of the monitor is a good idea for schools I suggest you talk to someone who runs a school computer lab and ask how many keyboards they replace because some kid snuck a drink in with them....

My brother in law used to work in a school in India, they had some locally made small boxes that fit on the back of monitors. The rooms are hot and these machines just seem to survive that and the dirty power. The nice thing about a separate box is that you can direct your cooling to the boxes. Again the keyboards were the weak part of the equation, they didn't hold up to the heat, sweat and use. But fortunately keyboards are cheap and easy to replace.

Ha Ha!

Not laughing at you. The comment strikes me as funny. I'll tell you why, I kind of disagree with it, but at the same time I hate to say anything at all because I don't want to defend Commodore. I think this whole Commodore things is kind of silly. I can't believe some guy is trying to make money off it. What gives him the right you know? Whatever.

Anyway. The part I disagree with. I have kids in school. Grade school and middle school. Pretty much all the computer are "keyboard computers". The kids these days though just call them laptops. In my sons forth grade class every student has a netbook (they stay in the class though). The computer labs at both schools all have laptops. The only place you see a non-laptop is maybe the library where they have an old iMac or something.

number6 
Posted on 22-May-2011 14:04:30
#55 ]
Elite Member

@thread

Status, so to speak of Asiarim (Commodore Holdings Corporation). I've included the prior report, as well as the current one just filed on May 19th.
One obvious change is that Asiarim no longer mentions having "not" received the computer for approval. They also mention the product is not yet completed.
Nothing we did not already know really.

The licensor (Asiarim) also mentions:
Quote:
We do not have sufficient resources to effectuate our business.

and

Quote:
We currently have no agreements, arrangements or understandings with any person to obtain funds through bank loans, lines of credit or any other sources. Since we have no such arrangements or plans currently in effect, our inability to raise funds for a marketing program will have a severe negative impact on our ability to remain a viable company.

The quarterly statements:

Quote:
Brand licensing is an important business segment to realize the maximum brand value. During the prior fiscal year, in August 2010, the Company entered into a brand licensing arrangement with a third party to license the Keyboard Computer under the traditional form factor of the Commodore 64. Under the license agreement, the third party is expected to pay an initial royalty of Euro 250,000 on or before December 31, 2011. At the date of this report, the third party has not formally submitted the computer for our approval and has not paid the initial royalty. Accordingly we have not recorded this initial royalty in our accounts until we receive the royalty payment. Therefore there was no royalty income earned during the three months period ended December 31, 2010.

Source SEC filing 18-Feb-2011

Quote:
Brand licensing is an important business segment to realize the maximum brand value. In August 2010, the Company entered into a brand licensing arrangement with a third party to license the Keyboard Computer under the traditional form factor of the Commodore 64. Under the license agreement, the third party is expected to pay an initial royalty of Euro250,000 on or before December 31, 2011. At the date of this report, the third party has not yet completed their product(s) to be marketed to its target group consumers, but to be expected by end of May 2011. The initial royalty is due for payment directly after the first sales to be expected in Q3, 2011. Accordingly we have not recorded this initial royalty in our accounts until we receive the royalty payment. Therefore there was no royalty income earned during the three months period ended December 31, 2010.

Source SEC filing 19-May-2011

vox 
Posted on 22-May-2011 14:31:22
#56 ]
Elite Member

@damocles

FAQ Them and Theirs Law ("Answers")

vox 
Posted on 22-May-2011 18:03:55
#57 ]
Elite Member

@digitex

As far as CUSA is in question,
"Money Ah dem God" serves them right.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yXBWxpaEHM&feature=channel_video_title

eXec 
Posted on 22-May-2011 20:00:37
#58 ]
Cult Member

@vox

Spamming again?

Last edited by eXec on 22-May-2011 at 08:01 PM.

nimrod7 
Posted on 22-May-2011 21:16:53
#59 ]

@eXec

OT:
dear eXec, i would suggest (judging from your previous statements) changing the order of the texts on your avatar, I have the impression that this would be the correct message, because what Paul think of Mark, says more about Paul than Mark.

EDIT:
Anyway I consider your avatar as tasteless, provocative and at least unjust.

Last edited by nimrod7 on 22-May-2011 at 09:18 PM.

"Marxism must abhor nothing so much as the possibility that it becomes congealed in its current form. It is at its best when butting heads in self-criticism, and in historical thunder and lightning, it retains its strength" - Rosa Luxemburg.

vox 
Posted on 23-May-2011 0:19:39
#60 ]
Elite Member

@eXec

Agree with Nimrod, purely visible who is spamming who.

Just passing to tell the people "Frequently Ask them".

And yes, money a dem God, including you, with your kunas.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle