Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
14 crawler(s) on-line.
 86 guest(s) on-line.
 2 member(s) on-line.

Matt3k,  AMIGASYSTEM

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Matt3k:  9 secs ago
 AMIGASYSTEM:  2 mins ago
 Hammer:  5 mins ago
 djnick:  11 mins ago
 K-L:  25 mins ago
 AmigaMac:  52 mins ago
 amigakit:  53 mins ago
 g01df1sh:  1 hr 3 mins ago
 kolla:  1 hr 10 mins ago
 BigD:  1 hr 25 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga Inc. offshoot
      /  Commodore at CES 2011
Register To Post

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
number6 
Commodore at CES 2011
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 15:00:23
#1 ]
Elite Member

@all

Sometime ago, based on the scant bit of info we had about the intentions of additional licensing of the Commodore name, I mentioned this.

Quote:
I understand that and perhaps I was a bit off-topic, since we're principally talking about C=USA. My point though was that Asiarim might well be licensing the name to many more companies.

Up until now the references have been to "other" and not very specific.
Now we have something, along with shipping dates.

Commodore North America

Note towards the top "(OTC:QB: ARMC)", which is the same Asiarim that made the licensing deal with C=USA.

and the report on same from CES 2011.

http://www.valleynewslive.com/Global/story.asp?S=13804700

Profile     Report this post  
WolfToTheMoon 
Re: Commodore at CES 2011
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 15:26:57
#2 ]

@number6

http://commodorecorp.ssiparked.com/page/home

http://www.commodoreworld.com/

They have a few AIO LCD PC's, notebooks, tablets and even 2 smatphones over there. We'll see what they have planned for the future.

Also, their planned launch in March might indicate that they'll do a joint co-launch with C=USA as they have a similar "deadline" for C64x and AMIGAs.

Last edited by WolfToTheMoon on 13-Jan-2011 at 03:27 PM.

number6 
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 15:30:05
#3 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Yes, I have those links as well. Heh. That proves the relationships.

Is this the same fellow from Laguna Woods, CA.?

Oh, and since this group does not mention the "Amiga", does this mean we're talking about someone who may be in direct competition with Barry Altman and C=USA, or is this a co-ordinated and co-operative endeavor?

Quote:
Also, their planned launch in March might indicate that they'll do a joint co-launch with C=USA as they have a similar "deadline" for C64x and AMIGAs.

Amazing. We're having the same thought at the same time.

Last edited by number6 on 13-Jan-2011 at 03:36 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 13-Jan-2011 at 03:35 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 13-Jan-2011 at 03:31 PM.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 15:52:24
#4 ]

@number6

Quote:
Oh, and since this group does not mention the "Amiga", does this mean we're talking about someone who may be in direct competition with Barry Altman and C=USA, or is this a co-ordinated and co-operative endeavor?

They do not mention AMIGA because it is not their's to mention.

As to competition... Their products do not overlap for now. AIO LCD PCs with poor graphics vs. desktop cases and powerful gaming configurations, a few generic notebooks and tablets vs C64X.

Also, they have no plans for their own OS. So all in all, 2 totally different philosophies.

If it ever happens, C=USA intends to power their tablets and smartphones with future Workbench X. So even if there were C=USA tablets(likely) and smartphones(a lot less likely) in the future, they would be sufficiently different not to impose on one another.

I do believe ASIARIM will be primarily involved on the Asian markets, just like until now. I also remember a glimpse of mentioning Africa in one of their documents IIRC. We'll see if they deliver their promise on Europe and USA.

number6 
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 15:58:32
#5 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
As to competition... Their products do not overlap for now. AIO LCD PCs with poor graphics vs. desktop cases and powerful gaming configurations, a few generic notebooks and tablets vs C64X.

Again...same thought. I don't see overlap atm either.

Quote:
They do not mention AMIGA because it is not their's to mention.

Heh. I realize that. I just posed it in question form as opposed to stating the bleeding obvious.

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 16:07:17
#6 ]

@number6

I do remember Leo mentioning on this very same forum that they and ASIARIM have realigned their plans and ASIARIM liked what they were doing so they decided to try to work more closely. Those are not his exact words and I may be adding too much of my own into it. You're probably more suited to search the forum for it as it seems I cannot come to friendly terms with the Search function.

If I may add... I value ASIARIM's own plan for the Commodore much less then C=USA's. It seems not to play on the brand's strength(C64x). Take for example their product names... They couldn't find something more suitable to name their AIOs beside the silly E515 and E715 names? From all the rich history Commodore has, I wonder, something more suitable could be found. Same goes for the rest of their products...

But, they might just catch the C=USA's wave with the C64x and ride on it on their own respective markets. We'll see... based on their previous performance(their financial records and business plans are freely downloadable) I do not have all that much confidence in them. And I also believe that C=USA just might have a better financial background. I could be mistaken, offcourse...

number6 
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 16:15:59
#7 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
If I may add... I value ASIARIM's own plan for the Commodore much less then C=USA's. It seems not to play on the brand's strength(C64x). Take for example their product names... They couldn't find something more suitable to name their AIOs beside the silly E515 and E715 names? From all the rich history Commodore has, I wonder, something more suitable could be found. Same goes for the rest of their products...

From what has been posted concerning the history and the financial reports, if I were to offer conjecture atm, it would be more about a focus on survival for Ben(Yeahronimo/Asiarim) and Nedfield. It that is true, it would be understandable that they would need to focus on raising capital through whatever means necessary. It does seem that the current focus has been on licensing. But that could also change, based on what transpires in the U.S., which is where the plans seem to be growing.

btw-unless it's just me, I see no recent record concerning this newer name "Commodore North America". But when I checked google archives, I see it was last prevalent in the heyday of Commodore, in the 80's.

Quote:
Those are not his exact words and I may be adding too much of my own into it. You're probably more suited to search the forum for it as it seems I cannot come to friendly terms with the Search function.

http://amigaworld.net/modules/newbb/search.php
You have better luck with using at least 2 keywords here and checking the "search for all of the terms" box.
The greater problem, even if you get hits, is with threads that are long, since the hits take you to post #1 in each thread.
But if you have 2 keywords you are certain exist, google works better to gain access to a particular post. Google:
"Amigaworld [nick of poster][keyword1][keyword2]" often solves the problem.

Last edited by number6 on 13-Jan-2011 at 04:42 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 13-Jan-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Last edited by number6 on 13-Jan-2011 at 04:27 PM.

T-J 
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 17:33:04
#8 ]
Cult Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:
If I may add... I value ASIARIM's own plan for the Commodore much less then C=USA's.

I on the other hand value ASIARIM's plan far more than CUSA's. Primarily because no ASIARIM Executive has yet personally insulted me on an internet forum, of course.

But there are other reasons too. I believe that ASIARIM's overall strategy is the wiser and that their corporate image is the most professional by miles.

persia 
Posted on 13-Jan-2011 19:30:18
#9 ]

@T-J

Well if their executive hasn't personally insulted you or threatened to sue you for libel over things they said on the phone, then they can't really be Commodore, can they?

Dandy 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 10:00:22
#10 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Sorry for going off topic - but is that Ritchie Blackmore in your avatar?

Last edited by Dandy on 25-Jan-2011 at 10:00 AM.

Dandy

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 25-Jan-2011 10:08:11
#11 ]

@Dandy

Yes, it is Blackers!

My favorite guitarist and rock composer.

Dandy 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 8:20:19
#12 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:
@Dandy

Yes, it is Blackers!

Distinctively!

Quote:

WolfToTheMoon wrote:

My favorite guitarist and rock composer.

1+!

I see it the same way.
When he had his first Gig with Rainbow here in Cologne back in 1976 I went to that concert. At the end he smashed his Fender Microneck and threw the parts into the crowd.
I cought the neck (without the headstock). On the back of the neck joint there is a metal plate with "Fender Microneck" on it and the serial number...

EDIT:
In order not to get too much off topic here you got PM...

Last edited by Dandy on 27-Jan-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Last edited by Dandy on 27-Jan-2011 at 08:23 AM.

Dandy

Mops 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 11:17:41
#13 ]

Sorry to keep it off topic, but...

@WolfToTheMoon

Can we assume then that WolfToTheMoon is a nod towards the Stranger in Us All album?

@Dandy

I have to say I'm a little jealous now. Too young to have seen him in Cologne in '76 but I've heard the recordings for that one. Fantastic!

WolfToTheMoon 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 11:21:47
#14 ]

@Mops

Quote:
Can we assume then that WolfToTheMoon is a nod towards the Stranger in Us All album?

More a nod to the song, really... But the album is a fine piece of music too. I just couldn't stand Doogie White, and by that I mean his style on stage and in general... he has a good voice, though.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 13:17:44
#15 ]
Cult Member

@Dandy

Even more off topic: Although I like Rainbow, particularly before Bonnet and Turner, Blackmore was very destructive. I read an interview in which Blackmore talked about his "whammy bars." After every concert, he went to the guitar shop to have his whammy bars repaired. Finally, the repairman mounted what he thought was an "indestructable bar" on the guitar. The next day Blackmore brought it back broken again. The repairman asked, "How on earth did you break it?" Blackmore replied, "I had to stand on the body of the guitar and pull really hard." the repairman was not amused.

It's sad that I find an off topic subject more interesting than the topic at hand.

Last edited by PhantomInterrogative on 27-Jan-2011 at 01:18 PM.

bison 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 16:24:39
#16 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

As long as we're off-topic, I have a Carvin Bolt that looks nearly identical to that Strat, with the exception of the headstock. Looks the same; plays better...

number6 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 16:58:45
#17 ]
Elite Member

@PhantomInterrogative

Quote:
It's sad that I find an off topic subject more interesting than the topic at hand.

Then, that is my fault for reporting only the news and not making a point along with that report.

There are many licensees and yet I don't see the others under the same scrutiny or under outright attack.
The principal difference between the other licensees and C=USA is erm..well..that C=USA has posted on a number of Amiga and Commodore related websites.

I can only conclude that the licensees that say nothing have chosen the more comfortable path for themselves.
Whereas C=USA seems to feel they need to state that the former attachments to either "Amiga" or "Commodore" are not particularly meaningful, the other licensees must feel that way too, but are backing that up by avoiding any presence on other websites.

Ergo, C=USA must be hanging around here for a purpose, else they would have taken the same track.
If you think my conclusion is wrong, feel free to correct me.

PhantomInterrogative 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 17:40:32
#18 ]
Cult Member

@number6

I have no need of correcting you (I feel the same way). However, I have found a way of merging topic and subtopic together. I have thought of an Amiga logo, disrespective of licenses and trademarks, for CUSA. Okay Blackmore fans, imagine a fist grasping a "rainbow" checkmark, hovering over a boing ball suspended in space.

Once again, #6, I am being mirthful, not belligerent.

Tomas 
Posted on 27-Jan-2011 19:35:29
#19 ]
Elite Member

@number6
Who the hell cares anyways?? You could build your own commodore "amiga" for cheaper by buying the the so called customized case, adding your own mobo and installing linux with e-uae.

But i guess there are still enough naive people who buy it just because of name... sigh

number6 
Posted on 13-Mar-2011 2:39:32
#20 ]
Elite Member

@WolfToTheMoon

Dare I ask where all the pretty pictures of product went from:

http://www.commodoreworld.com

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle