Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
7 crawler(s) on-line.
 60 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 Shadowrider:  6 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  56 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  1 hr 27 mins ago
 danwood:  1 hr 58 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  2 hrs 7 mins ago
 Rob:  2 hrs 29 mins ago
 Lou:  3 hrs 2 mins ago
 vox:  3 hrs 3 mins ago
 Gunnar:  3 hrs 39 mins ago
 t0lkien:  4 hrs 7 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga OS4.x \ Workbench 4.x
      /  OS4 update 1 benchmark Quake 3
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
ikir 
Re: OS4 update 1 benchmark Quake 3
Posted on 12-Apr-2010 12:48:00
#81 ]
Elite Member

@djnick

Other than 3D OS4.1 update 1 is soooo good and fun to use imho. And Sam is pretty good hardware, especially the new one Sam460! So i suggest you to buy even with these 3D bad results. It is a software problem, and i'm sure it will be fixed when we will have mesa/open gl.

@Fab
Can you try just for fun with Leopard, as far i've see it should be faster in 3D.

@all

Added extreme A1 1Ghz bench!

Profile     Report this post  
KimmoK 
Posted on 12-Apr-2010 12:50:20
#82 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Sometime it is just so boring to be in the waiting game of a small niche (that is further divided to several "competing" SW developing groups).
If we had ONE OS team, 3D team, Audioteam, Applicationteam, instead of MOS, AOS4, AROS, NATAMI teams, we might have 4x the speed of current development and close to learning to walk and attract signifficant outsider interest .....

Last edited by KimmoK on 12-Apr-2010 at 12:51 PM.

// Thing that I should find more time for: CC64 - 64bit Community Computer?

Fab 
Posted on 12-Apr-2010 13:21:47
#83 ]

@ikir

I would have, but i don't feel like paying for leopard (since i don't use OSX). :)

bernd_afa 
Posted on 12-Apr-2010 13:45:07
#84 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK

>If we had ONE OS team, 3D team, Audioteam, Applicationteam, instead of MOS, >AOS4, AROS, NATAMI teams, we might have 4x the speed of current development >and close to learning to walk and attract signifficant outsider interest .....

you are right, but all force to 1 HW is not possible.Same as it is not possible that all buy same car with same color.

But the Car developer develop the Cars that it run with standard Fuel you find on a fuel station.also on fuel station you can find something so you can put Air in your wheels, that work on all cars.

Also Linux is here for PPC X86 arm, some distributions etc.

There is platform independent opensource software written so it can easy port to all systems CPU and so you are not force to use same OS or CPU

And this opensource platform independent Unix Software is for all AOS today the only solution to get software with current needed features running. because of missing developers on all amiga platforms, that are able to make a Software that vcan compare in features and usability with this opensource Software

And the bad thing is that there are guys that made out of this platform independent software that can port on a actual OS by just type configure and make a platform specific thing by adding some small very OS specific funcs, or dont want share sources.

So we have now several opengl implementations less or more compatible to the best(AROS /gallium MESA 7x ).remember also OWB/ flash/ netsurfPorts that are more or less behind.

When all developer can work together in same way as the last furtherdevelop AOS programs as YAM ,smple Mail then there is at end more as when every OS side use his own YAM /simple Mail fork.

But i guess the problem on working together is most a money problem.
Then some guys maybe cant make money for their "own" Port and fear to get fewer money.

but thats bad thinking, sure it work, if there are Fans that pay for low quality a high price, but i dont believe that the existing Amiga Users in 5-10 years still pay lots money for, outdatet unstable (known bugs nobody fix) , feature missing Ports.

Today you still can see that many users have windows/linux/ 68k MOS OS4 and AROS running.

So wy they should support several AOS Forks of nearly same Software with money for a longer time ?

Last edited by bernd_afa on 12-Apr-2010 at 01:54 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 12-Apr-2010 at 01:53 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 12-Apr-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 12-Apr-2010 at 01:50 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 12-Apr-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 12-Apr-2010 at 01:47 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 12-Apr-2010 at 01:46 PM.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 12-Apr-2010 16:58:13
#85 ]
Cult Member

@KimmoK
>If we had ONE OS team, 3D team, Audioteam, Applicationteam, instead of MOS, >AOS4, AROS, NATAMI teams, we might have 4x the speed of current development >and close to learning to walk and attract signifficant outsider interest .....

And if there really need the choose of only 1 AOS for all, i hope, then the solution with the lowest price, best performance, fastest support time, fewest Bugs, should support with programs, so users need not pay more money than necessary to use Amiga Software

ChrisH 
Posted on 12-Apr-2010 20:51:33
#86 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK Quote:
If we had ONE OS team, 3D team, Audioteam, Applicationteam, instead of MOS, AOS4, AROS, NATAMI teams, we might have 4x the speed of current development and close to learning to walk and attract signifficant outsider interest

Yup, but sadly AmigaOS attracted too many developers with big egos (and big mouths!), so we end-up with 2 major commercial OSes that won't talk to each other, at least 1 open-source clone, plus die-hards who still like the "original" out-dated version. And those are just the ones that are still going, there are quite a few failed alternatives (such as pOS).

It's quite a mad situation. I would have thought we were unlucky, but maybe it was inevitable when you see that RiscOS is in a slightly similar (but less viable) situation with two competing commercial versions, and when you see that BeOS spawned both an open-source clone and two (failed) attempts at a commercial revival.

Last edited by ChrisH on 12-Apr-2010 at 08:52 PM.

kas1e 
Posted on 12-Apr-2010 21:05:26
#87 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

Yup, but sadly AmigaOS attracted too many developers with big egos

Haha :) A bit offtopic, but you absolutly right :) But from other side, i know some aos4/mos programmers, who not have "star fever", or too much "ego". For example Salas00, Itix, Fab, Hanz, Xeron, AfxGroup, BroadBlues, etc - they all always friendly, and for me just looks "normal". But, some os4 devels and mos devels are absolutly kings and their majesty :) Also AROS guys in most time very friendly (mazze, manu, deadwood and others). But some also have a bit "smart ass" crap in head too :)

Sadly that they do not know one old-known true: if you have too much ego, then your progress as human are stop.

But that is problem not only in amiga, but everythere. Sometime in life you can found a really bigger suckers than here :)

Last edited by kas1e on 12-Apr-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Last edited by kas1e on 12-Apr-2010 at 09:10 PM.

Seiya 
Posted on 12-Apr-2010 22:04:09
#88 ]

Quote:

It seems safe to predict that with full OpenGL support for AOS4, x1000 should come close to 200fps @640x480 ... Perhaps more, unless Quake3 fails to take any advantage of r700 series GPUs.

on my 4870 with Athlon64 x5200 (2600 mhz*2) Quake arena take about 360 fps with 1.3.2 version in 1280x1024.
Quake arena don't use dual core and my cpu is old and bottleneck for RV770.

i don't know how an ipotetic 4870 on X1000 with dual core < 2 ghz can do with these drivers..

Last edited by Seiya on 12-Apr-2010 at 10:06 PM.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 13-Apr-2010 9:55:26
#89 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

>plus die-hards who still like the "original" out-dated version

outdate is wrong, there is yesterday new AFA 4.7 release.
It have some features more as OS4.

Only bad is that there is no AOS source out, and i must use AROS source, so furthereveloping need lots more time.

and btw if there really come a 68k FPGA amiga that maybe have in future a big FPGA to assist the CPU in Video decoding 3D or allow custom high speed FPGA routines, then thats more simular to the A1000.

If not it can run at least stable and cheap also virtual and no extra Hardware is need

Last edited by bernd_afa on 13-Apr-2010 at 09:57 AM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 13-Apr-2010 at 09:57 AM.

KimmoK 
Posted on 13-Apr-2010 10:22:54
#90 ]
Elite Member

@Seiya

IMHO, when we have 1920x1080 @ 30...60fps on a (pretty modern) 3D game, it should be "enough" for any game that is experienced via human eyes.

KimmoK 
Posted on 13-Apr-2010 10:26:22
#91 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

I hope OS core developers (and other people in control) manage to find a way to better control their egos and co-work.

If not, I HOPE that one day we have Aros that community controls and steers towards the brighter future.

Seiya 
Posted on 13-Apr-2010 11:16:02
#92 ]

Quote:

KimmoK wrote:

IMHO, when we have 1920x1080 @ 30...60fps on a (pretty modern) 3D game, it should be "enough" for any game that is experienced via human eyes.

true :)
Alien vs Predator 2 on OS4

bernd_afa 
Posted on 13-Apr-2010 11:54:54
#93 ]
Cult Member

@kas1e

>Sadly that they do not know one old-known true: if you have too much ego, then >your progress as human are stop.

its not only the ego, its also to accept critique.

When somebody want sell something for money and he have the point of view that all what he not need, nobody else need, or a Bug is named from his side as a feature, then i think such guys arent able to do a product that many buy and i have no hope to get a good quality product for my money.

And when a product is not intresting for more, then it does not help much to invest lots money in this, then its maybe better to invest money in a product that can be in theory more attractive to user, when there is invest money.

and to stay ontopic, some years ago i told that OS4 OGL is not good enough to run amiblitz 3D software or more apps.

I was called a basher, and it was tell, that nobody need better opengl, because there are no programs here.on amiganews there is a whole thread about it.

that was before Hans enhance minigl.

Now after Hans enhance minigl can see that there come programs that need better OGL, and when Hans not enhance minigl then this programs not work.

So the Fact is i was correct that OS4 need better OGL.When you use minigl from 2006 and not from Hans, then you can see, there run lots programs not.

Last edited by bernd_afa on 13-Apr-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 13-Apr-2010 at 12:00 PM.
Last edited by bernd_afa on 13-Apr-2010 at 11:59 AM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Apr-2010 10:04:31
#94 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa Quote:
outdate is wrong, there is yesterday new AFA 4.7 release. It have some features more as OS4.

I personally consider AfaOS to be quite misguided:

It would be like Commodore releasing OS2.0, and someone declaring that they don't think it's "Amiga", so they decide to patch OS1.3.2 & replace some components. Wanna split Amiga development efforts, and see AmigaOS die? That's the way to do it!

All IMHO, and you are of course free to do whatever you like (for better or worse)...

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Apr-2010 10:13:25
#95 ]
Elite Member

@KimmoK Quote:
I hope OS core developers (and other people in control) manage to find a way to better control their egos and co-work.

IMHO it's too late for that: If we *hadn't* had egos at (for example) Amiga Inc's time, then maybe we would not have had (for example) the MOS/OS4 split. But since we do have the split, they are both competing with each other, and we cannot expect cooperation between the core developers.

But while cooperation between competing OS developers might not make sense, it *does* make sense for (external) developers to try to make their programs run on as many Amiga-OS variants as possible, because in that way (1) they get the most users, and (2) spread development effort over a larger user base, and (3) potentially pool the knowledge/help of more developers.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Apr-2010 10:22:29
#96 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa Quote:
its not only the ego, its also to accept critique.

Take care to look in the mirror occasionally

Quote:
some years ago ... I was called a basher

Is it worth digging up something that someone said YEARS ago? People make mistakes. Maybe also you phrased your criticisms badly (like you often do now), so that people took it the wrong way?

itix 
Posted on 14-Apr-2010 13:49:11
#97 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:

It would be like Commodore releasing OS2.0, and someone declaring that they don't think it's "Amiga", so they decide to patch OS1.3.2 & replace some component.

Actually it sort of happened. Common way to ensure Kickstart 1.x compatibility was using arp.library or reqtools.

Crumb 
Posted on 14-Apr-2010 16:19:00
#98 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH

Quote:
Wanna split Amiga development efforts, and see AmigaOS die? That's the way to do it!

If you had taken the time to investigate what AfA is instead of bashing Bernd efforts you would have noticed that Bernd has added some functions compatible with OS4.x/MorphOS ones so in fact he makes developers life easier and helps to unify NG Amiga API.

bernd_afa 
Posted on 14-Apr-2010 18:10:37
#99 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH

>Take care to look in the mirror occasionally

i never ever have tell on some of my Software releases its no bug or this need not do better.I have a very realistic sight.

But maybe you can post a link that show that i do no accept critique ?

Last edited by bernd_afa on 14-Apr-2010 at 06:11 PM.

ChrisH 
Posted on 14-Apr-2010 18:30:45
#100 ]
Elite Member

@bernd_afa Quote:
But maybe you can post a link that show that i do no accept critique ?

Not sure about "accept". But I never noticed any indication that you *listen* to critique - at least I never read you accepting any criticism, but rather only disagreeing or ignoring it. (Which you are of course free to do, but it does then look a bit silly to tell other people to listen to criticism.)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle