Click Here
home features news forums classifieds faqs links search
6071 members 
Amiga Q&A /  Free for All /  Emulation /  Gaming / (Latest Posts)
Login

Nickname

Password

Lost Password?

Don't have an account yet?
Register now!

Support Amigaworld.net
Your support is needed and is appreciated as Amigaworld.net is primarily dependent upon the support of its users.
Donate

Menu
Main sections
» Home
» Features
» News
» Forums
» Classifieds
» Links
» Downloads
Extras
» OS4 Zone
» IRC Network
» AmigaWorld Radio
» Newsfeed
» Top Members
» Amiga Dealers
Information
» About Us
» FAQs
» Advertise
» Polls
» Terms of Service
» Search

IRC Channel
Server: irc.amigaworld.net
Ports: 1024,5555, 6665-6669
SSL port: 6697
Channel: #Amigaworld
Channel Policy and Guidelines

Who's Online
25 crawler(s) on-line.
 38 guest(s) on-line.
 0 member(s) on-line.

You are an anonymous user.
Register Now!
 matthey:  1 hr 49 mins ago
 Matt3k:  3 hrs 20 mins ago
 agami:  4 hrs 2 mins ago
 DiscreetFX:  5 hrs 16 mins ago
 Lou:  5 hrs 31 mins ago
 MEGA_RJ_MICAL:  5 hrs 53 mins ago
 NutsAboutAmiga:  6 hrs 24 mins ago
 kolla:  6 hrs 52 mins ago
 amigakit:  7 hrs 31 mins ago
 pixie:  7 hrs 35 mins ago

/  Forum Index
   /  Amiga General Chat
      /  New OS4 portal
Register To Post

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
Chris_Y 
Re: New OS4 portal
Posted on 6-Dec-2006 23:35:38
#81 ]
Elite Member

@Tomas

Mikey_C gets a bit confused sometimes (it's his age, the poor thing )

I took it upon myself to post it here and there, didn't see the harm given that the bunny (and hence, all the trolls) found out about it before it even launched.

I genuinely missed Mikey's "don't post it to web portals" sentence, and I honestly have no idea why he said it, especially given that he knew the above.

The influx of new members has proved that my unintentional over-ruling was a good idea anyway.

Chris

Profile     Report this post  
Colin_Camper 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 0:07:12
#82 ]

@Thread

I have seen this coming for quite a while.

It is still disturbing, never the less, to see people behave in such polarised and bigoted ways.

Still, it's a lot better here to have news about MOS or AROS without 4 polls and threads starting up immediately about how AW.Net is being poluted by non Arian ** sorry, non Amigan ** news, topics and reports.

I have no doubt that 95% of all active members here at AW.Net use, are interested in, and would champion OS4. But we also are interested in everything else Amiga and respect that it is all just as valid as our preferred system.

Ths is a great site and half the Amigans will realise this and come back here! Maybe even Sister Rita, Romance Clip and Mitch will come across here!

stew 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 1:30:56
#83 ]

@Chris_Y

"I took it upon myself to post it here and there, didn't see the harm given that the bunny (and hence, all the trolls) found out about it before it even launched"

There is some trolling that goes on in "the bunny", but alot of it is people that are now on the new site! More truth has come out first on the bunny than any other site.
The mo has been for it to get posted on the bunny, covered up and denied at other sites, and finally the truth is accepted. Sure some have an abrasive personality but more truth was told there.
Just because you may not like the news, how something is posted, the person, or disagree in general, it does not make the poster a troll. I think the many "two more weeks" and "I have big news just wait and see" posts that never materialize are the real troll posts!

Stew

elatour 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 2:22:32
#84 ]
Cult Member

@wegster

Quote:
@Akiko
Quote:
The new site is very welcome news for all us OS4 supporters.

Umm, 'all us OS4 supporters'? Might want to be careful with your words there. Last I checked, I've spent close to $3000USD with respect to supporting OS4, plus an indeterminable amount of time. Am I then not an 'OS4 supporter'?

Tell me about it. I've spent close to $2000USD with respect to supporting OS4 but I guess I too am not an 'AOS4 supporter'.

umisef 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 4:15:52
#85 ]

@GrumpyOldMan

Quote:
Sorry, you lost me here. I had no problems in registering to Amigans.net, and I doubt any newcomer has either.

Well, I *do* have a problem. As long as the terms of service explicitly allow the moderators to edit people's posts and keep publishing the modified versions, I sure won't register. Simple as that.

Yes, that might be the de-facto procedure on AW.net, too (and yes, I have raised that issue before, as wegster can attest to :). But *here* I have recourse if it is done in a bad they; *there* I would have agreed to have my name associated with whatever some mod thought they should edit my posts to....

Samwel 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 4:22:31
#86 ]
Elite Member

@umisef

That's only a problem if you post "sensitive" posts

[SOLD] µA1-C - 750GX 800MHz - 512MB - Antec Aria case

acefnq 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 4:23:13
#87 ]
Cult Member

@all
Chill out folks it is only a web site. I view AW and Amigans every time I log on as I suppose many others do, I still even check out AOrg (and hold a membership there). All have strengths and weaknesses. If it lessens the angst in the community for a little while then that is a bonus.

ace

cHaOs667 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 8:29:11
#88 ]
Cult Member

@_Steve_

Quote:
Well he actually is referring to the "favicon" used by the browsers to denote which site you are looking at. While EAB has a boing ball, it is blue, and AI's has text on it. A.O uses a square shape, but Amigans is identical to that used by this site.

It is not. As you should see, the amigans.net favicon is the lighter one

And btw: would you claim the boing ball to aw.net or to all amigans?

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

Simon 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 8:30:01
#89 ]
Cult Member

I just stay here, I am not interested in "our color is the only one"-portals.

I think here at amigaworld there is a good balance between the different flavors in the newsitems and I am not going to visit 5 websites every 10 minutes to find out some Amigarelated news.

The Belgian Amiga Club on FACEBOOK !

The Belgian Amiga Club Website

ChrisH 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 8:47:00
#90 ]
Elite Member

@cHaOs667 who said Quote:
It is not. As you should see, the amigans.net favicon is the lighter one

Yes, but that's essentially the only difference. It would be very easy to mistake one for the other, unless you have them side-by-side.

Quote:
And btw: would you claim the boing ball to aw.net or to all amigans?

Of course not. But for a site that attempts to replace AW.net & grab it's users, it seems rather cheeky to copy any aspect of AW.net, let-alone the icon used by it.

If they have to use the Boing Ball (rather than the Tick or whatever), they could atleast differentiate it by using a different colour OR by putting some text over it. Or pretty much anything - even changing it's size might be enough.

For example, although they copied much of AW.net's layout for news & forums, they use a completely different colour scheme to show that they are different to AW.net. So it just seems weird for them to have a near carbon-copy of AW.net's icon.

I'm not going to make a song & dance about it (it's ONLY an icon), but I thought it was worth mentioning the issue.

cHaOs667 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 9:20:06
#91 ]
Cult Member

@ChrisH
Quote:
Of course not. But for a site that attempts to replace AW.net & grab it's users, it seems rather cheeky to copy any aspect of AW.net, let-alone the icon used by it.

If they have to use the Boing Ball (rather than the Tick or whatever), they could atleast differentiate it by using a different colour OR by putting some text over it. Or pretty much anything - even changing it's size might be enough.

For example, although they copied much of AW.net's layout for news & forums, they use a completely different colour scheme to show that they are different to AW.net. So it just seems weird for them to have a near carbon-copy of AW.net's icon.

LOL
Ah okay, have you ever recognized that the ground layout of a.org is very similar (login on the right, at top of the site the latest discussions/topics and others and beneath this the news entrys with an comment function etc.) to aw.net... [irony]DAMN!
Maybe they had also stolen the layout!
CURSE THEM!!!
Wait! The icon is different - ah good they don't had stolen the layout![/irony]

Come on guy! Don't be such childish and don't act like an "beleidischd lebberworschd" (sorry can't translate this - it's frankfurter slang) only because there is an new, mainly on os4 focused, community.

Edit: i will not response on any answers made on this posting.

Last edited by cHaOs667 on 07-Dec-2006 at 09:22 AM.

1x A600 (40MB HDD) OS2.05 (broken joyport)
1x A1200 (68030/50, 32 MB Fast RAM) OS3.1
1x A4000D 040/40 (48 MB Fast), OS3.9, Fastlane Z3, CV64, Deneb, Indi AGA
1x CD³²
1x µAOn

brotheris 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 10:17:10
#92 ]

Wanted to stay away from this, but...

Quote:
only because there is an new, mainly on os4 focused, community

No it's not more OS4 than aw.net, it exists purely because someone can't stand different oppinions and want to be in control. Telling that "new" website is more OS4 orientied is bs, just look @ the banner. It might become what you say, but today it's just wishfull thinking by few who were spreading fud here, because they knew that "new" website was in the making. Talk about wanting peaceful discussions... :)

adiaux 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 10:26:16
#93 ]

@Tomas

Quote:

Tomas wrote:
@hatschi
Quote:
Do not feed the trolls elsewhere and do not post about this site on any other amiga related web portal.

I found that very odd, considering that it was one of the admins that posted it as a news article on amiga.org ;) Also it was very odd that i saw a thread on amigans.net asking for people to spread the info.. It makes absolutely no sense!

Of course he want news about it to be spread around, hence the "spread the words". But he does not want to see (in his view) *negative* comments about the site on other sites (such as those on moobunny, etc).

amigacooke 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 10:27:52
#94 ]

@Colin_Camper

Quote:
It is still disturbing, never the less, to see people behave in such polarised and bigoted ways.

Still, it's a lot better here to have news about MOS or AROS without 4 polls and threads starting up immediately about how AW.Net is being poluted by non Arian ** sorry, non Amigan ** news, topics and reports.

And this helps the situation how?

I don't really see the point in having both AmigaWorld and Amiga.org, they both seem to cover the same ground.

Last edited by amigacooke on 07-Dec-2006 at 10:41 AM.

umisef 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 13:10:38
#95 ]

@Samwel

Quote:
That's only a problem if you post "sensitive" posts

Yeah, and being concerned about privacy is a sign that one has something to hide....

Mikey_C 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 13:33:01
#96 ]
Elite Member

@ChrisH and everyone else.

Okay, I have held my tongue on this because I didn't want to cause any more aggrevation on here or elsewhere. However, there are a lot of misconceptions about that should be cleared up.

1: I did not in any way, plan to start another site up when I stepped down as a moderator. I stepped down because I FELT that I was being marginalised as a member of staff by certain other members of staff who wanted to push their "More Liberal" agenda.
I wanted this portal to remain AmigaOS4 only. Not just for myself but for the dozens and dozens of PMs/Emails I had received from members on this site telling me how unhappy they were by the direction this site had taken and by the antagonists trolls who were now ruining their enjoyment of this site.

2: The new site was concieved about 10 days after, when I was on IRC and got chatting to some other like minded individuals, it wasn't spontenous, it was more like, whine, whine, grumble, grumble until we said, "Lets do something ourselves, instead of whining on about it." So, we did.

Another misconception is that I own Amigans.net. I don't, its not owned by any one person.

I regret the fact that DaveyD probably thinks I am an ####h**e or worse, but my concience is clear, I gave many warnings that this would happen many times, I wasn't happy and neither were many others. The site would have happened regardless of me being involved with it.

I am also sorry that the site was publicised the way it was, it was not what I wanted, I gave someone, whom I once respected on here, my word that I would not do a "Mass exodus" post. But what is done is done and I cannot undo what has happened now.

I have seen the number of personal attacks I have received by the usual suspects and to them I say, the more you whine, the more I know I was right to help do what we did.

I will not post here again, I have said all I wanted to say on this matter. If someone wishes to persue this with me I can be reached on the #amigans IRC channel

Colin_Camper 
Posted on 7-Dec-2006 13:33:16
#97 ]

@amigacooke

Quote:
I don't really see the point in having both AmigaWorld and Amiga.org, they both seem to cover the same ground.

Well, I go to both.

I would come here to ask a specific question about OS4.

I would go to A.org to ask a specific question about Minimig or AROS.

They are both good sites -

A.org had the minimig, Bill McEwen etc

Amigaworld has DaveH, Carl S, Rougue/Entzilla, bbrv etc etc.

The main point is; What is the point of the Amigans.Net except to ultimately make Amigaworld.net even more civil than it was before.

Last edited by Colin_Camper on 07-Dec-2006 at 01:35 PM.

Derfs 
Posted on 8-Dec-2006 0:46:02
#98 ]
Cult Member

@tomazkid

Quote:

tomazkid wrote:
@GrumpyOldMan

[quote]
Is a forum/website where people are stopped at the door a good way to promote a commercial OS?

i dont mind bouncers on the door to keep the *known* riff-raff out, new users are welcome, unless you can point out where they arnt, otherwise try not to bad mouth something like that. it isnt nice.

Derfs 
Posted on 8-Dec-2006 0:50:27
#99 ]
Cult Member

@redrumloa

Quote:

redrumloa wrote:
@IonMane

Quote:

I actually recently went back to A.org because I had heard things had settled there. My link there show just how wrong I was.

Hey, don't blame us if you are intolerant of freedom of speech.

freedom of speach comes with responsibility

Quote:

...they don't realize that the comment was made in an arrogant, condescending or otherwise insulting manner...

it is not about being thin skinned, its about not wanting this type of abuse anymore.

Derfs 
Posted on 8-Dec-2006 0:54:13
#100 ]
Cult Member

@takemehomegrandma

wow, a website open for a few weeks has less members than the ones open for 4 years. amazing.

thankyou for showing the type of comment that you dont get at amigans. it was a good example of why people want to post there.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )

[ home ][ about us ][ privacy ] [ forums ][ classifieds ] [ links ][ news archive ] [ link to us ][ user account ]
Copyright (C) 2000 - 2019 Amigaworld.net.
Amigaworld.net was originally founded by David Doyle